Notices

Have I been spoilt by the 'Ring and Cadwell Park?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2007, 09:32 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have I been spoilt by the 'Ring and Cadwell Park?

Question for all you seasoned track-dayers out there. I've been to the 'Ring three weekends over the last few years - indescribably brilliant. Prior to that I'd done an airfield track day - rather dull and not something I'd bother with again - it was harsh on the car and little more than dodging cones IMHO. Yesterday I did an afternoon at Cadwell Park which was superb fun; it does deserve it's reputation as the 'mini Nurburgring'.

I had limited myself to an annual 'Ring trip but after my visit to Cadwell the track day bug has bitten. So the question is, will I be disappointed visiting my two other nearest circuits, Snetterton and Bedford? Are they flat and surfaced with airstrip concrete?
Old 16 August 2007, 11:20 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Bedford - good set up in terms of pits, on site petrol, etc, etc. Flat (- ex airfield) but properly surfaced with race asphalt, decent mix of low speed / high speed corners, particularly on the full circuit. The West circuit alone (the Evo circuit), which is the most commonly used one, is allright, but not as interesting as the full track. But be warned - very very noise sensitive...I was one of 28 people banned from there a long time ago on an infamous scooby day and I've never failed a noise check at any other circuit or 4 times there before.

Snetterton high speed, less interesting IMHO - obviously a proper race track but more technical where slipstreaming etc plays a big part in making it more interesting to race on. Couple of high speed bends where the cabbages beckon and a couple of chicanes. Wasn't particularly excited by it as a pure track day venue.
Old 17 August 2007, 07:31 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like Cadwell, you will love Oulton park, I know it's a bit of a journey, but It' s worth it. Donington is a good one, as is Silverstone full circuit too
Old 17 August 2007, 08:13 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They each have their own pluses

The Ring is awesome and I am back there in 22 days

Cadwell is superb - best track in England IMO

Snetterton is my local track and I use it more of a test circuit to measure general improvements on the car, brakes, suspension as I tend to do 4 or 5 track days a year there with our club bigpower.co.uk. The track is very fast but does lend itself better to finding the limits of the car than the ring as you would (or should) never be 'that' close to the limit there as local knowledge is what slows you down. At Snet you can get closer to your car's potential and use it to help set it up for faster driving and driving on the limit. But dont underestimate how simple it is - as you speed up there, the track changes character.

Coram is a great example of a corner and one that takes real ***** to be quick there.

Bedford is ok but they are fussy on noise, the track is flat and pretty uninspiring and they tend to be expensive there to boot.
Old 17 August 2007, 08:15 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

forgot to say ... if you fancy a trip up north - Knockhill is amazing. The scottish guys are so lucky to have that one on their doorstep. Cracking little track and better IMO than Cadwell.
Old 17 August 2007, 08:39 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Great comments there, thanks. I can see how Snetterton might have its uses now, as a 'limit finding' track. The way I've got the car setup is perfect for Cadwell and my local B-roads, but when really pushing along, I can feel it only needs a little more provocation to start oversteering quite heavily. The question is whether this will be controllable or snatchy. Would be nice to find out on somewhere fast, flat and with plenty of room. Plus Snetterton's my closest track by a long long way.
Old 17 August 2007, 08:46 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Sears at Snetterton is great for 'playing' with oversteer - loads of room unless you get it enormously wrong and are going far too quickly.

I have driven hundreds of laps there and get something out of each one.

ps - it is good in the wet too so if you fancy a winter track day there dont be put off by the potential of rain. It often starts wet in the morning and dries very quickly because of the wind (did we mention that this is Windy-City ?)
Old 17 August 2007, 08:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

So sounds like Snetterton is worth a go then. I'll see about doing it. I don't really mind the rain that much, it has its pros and cons - the good thing is I can just drive with my normal road tyres on and come back after a day on track with virtually no wear on them at all. Downside is that the Scoob tends to four-wheel-drift/understeer from the rear (if you get my meaning) when it's greasy.
Old 17 August 2007, 11:01 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

cool - probably see you there
Old 18 August 2007, 07:44 AM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

I was at Cadwell too on Weds, shame about weather How about Mallory ? Not been myself but was going to give it a try
Old 19 August 2007, 09:57 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes I did see you around the place here and there but not long enough to stop! I didn't mind the weather too much. Meant my tyres lived to see another day.
Old 20 August 2007, 09:00 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

I did the ring for the 1st time this year, and TBH I really didn't enjoy it the 1st 2 laps, then got a bit quicker, gave it a bit of beens last 2 laps.

Cadwell is good, but not 'off' friendly if there is such a thing. I've done a couple of days at Donny (short track) which is good, and the chicane was my favourite corner until I did KH last month.

Knockhill is great fun too, I like the way you can take the full curb on the 1st corner and it unsettles the car a bit and throws you (one for the posh people ) out a bit.
Old 21 August 2007, 10:06 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes the Ring is daunting the first few times round. When I first went on I didn't know what to expect -GT4 hadn't been thought of back then! It was more like driving along an unknown country road with maniacs in 325s and mk2Golfs looming in your mirrors every few seconds.

Knockhill sounds good but it's just too far away for me, but Donny might be a possibility.
Old 22 August 2007, 09:30 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

The new Anglesey is worth a visit too.

It is much improved over the previous layout, especially the full GP/Coastal formats.

I also like Donnington, but it is more a fast/flowing circuit compared to Cadwell.
Old 19 September 2007, 12:34 AM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Ring is such a test, but Oulton Park ok and Anglesey looks good, there in October.
Old 21 September 2007, 04:15 PM
GC8Lee
Scooby Regular

Get yourself to Spa in Belgium.

Its like Donington, Cadwell and the ring all mixed together.
Its not far from the ring either, so maybe book that in with your trip over next year.
Old 21 September 2007, 04:22 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Give Brands Hatch a go too , plenty of challenges there.
Must give Spa a go next year.
Old 22 September 2007, 02:46 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes I've heard Spa is good, and I often pass it on the way to the 'Ring. Not rich enough to do one of those Spa-Ring weekends though!
Old 22 September 2007, 06:45 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Question for all you seasoned track-dayers out there. I've been to the 'Ring three weekends over the last few years - indescribably brilliant. Prior to that I'd done an airfield track day - rather dull and not something I'd bother with again - it was harsh on the car and little more than dodging cones IMHO. Yesterday I did an afternoon at Cadwell Park which was superb fun; it does deserve it's reputation as the 'mini Nurburgring'.

I had limited myself to an annual 'Ring trip but after my visit to Cadwell the track day bug has bitten. So the question is, will I be disappointed visiting my two other nearest circuits, Snetterton and Bedford? Are they flat and surfaced with airstrip concrete?
The best circuits in England, in my opinion, are: Cadwell Park full; Brands Hatch full (Indy is RUBBISH!) and Oulton Park (either, its brilliant).

Simon
Old 23 September 2007, 08:21 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes I've only ever seen the Brands Indy circuit being used, looks a bit short. Saying that I've never actually driven Brands, just spectated.
Old 23 September 2007, 08:26 PM
speedyscooby
Scooby Regular

I am based in cambridge so snetterton is 50 miles Bedord 30 so i have ben on both of them a fair few times, however i hve to sya Cadwell is worth th drive it is abou 2 hours from here and Brands Indy aint that bad if you get it a the right price.... the ring is just great off there for two days 8th and 9th november for a open run event where you just do lap after lap with no bariers so you do the full track . also have to agree with 500 that oulton park is great
i am there on Wednesday for a day it should be fun but most trcks give what you put in to it and they all offer somthing to everyone
Old 23 September 2007, 10:21 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Exclamation bttt

Originally Posted by Simon 69
The best circuits in England, in my opinion, are: Cadwell Park full; Brands Hatch full (Indy is RUBBISH!) and Oulton Park (either, its brilliant).

Simon
id say knockhill is a match for cadwell only down side is the rain in spain stays mainly on knockhill lol think iv been about 20 times and rained 18 still good though its a drivers circuit with off camber ,hairpins ,blind chicanes , heavy braking areas .

nurburgring lol scared the sh££ out of me then i went back on a 50bhp motocycle - mercs ,bmws nearly pulled me off the bike you got to love that place but dont take it for granted that place will kill you . be careful enjoy .
Old 23 September 2007, 10:41 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedyscooby
I am based in cambridge so snetterton is 50 miles Bedord 30 so i have ben on both of them a fair few times, however i hve to sya Cadwell is worth th drive it is abou 2 hours from here and Brands Indy aint that bad if you get it a the right price.... the ring is just great off there for two days 8th and 9th november for a open run event where you just do lap after lap with no bariers so you do the full track . also have to agree with 500 that oulton park is great
i am there on Wednesday for a day it should be fun but most trcks give what you put in to it and they all offer somthing to everyone
You must be pretty local to me then - I am just south of Ely
Old 23 September 2007, 10:44 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default bttt

blind date for you 2 then woo hooo
Old 24 September 2007, 10:52 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GROWLER_GRRRR
blind date for you 2 then woo hooo
Old 24 September 2007, 09:07 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL love it, a fenland hook-up.

I was hammering across the fens on my way to Cadwell; it's like another planet. I thought it was 'country' where I live on the Suffolk coast, but places like Manea, Wisbech and virtually the whole of South Lincs...damn I was running from the sound of banjos most of the time. :-)
Old 24 September 2007, 09:44 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default bttt

all in good fun boys
Old 24 September 2007, 10:46 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silent running
LOL love it, a fenland hook-up.

I was hammering across the fens on my way to Cadwell; it's like another planet. I thought it was 'country' where I live on the Suffolk coast, but places like Manea, Wisbech and virtually the whole of South Lincs...damn I was running from the sound of banjos most of the time. :-)
You are best to keep running in some (if not all) of those places