Notices

Track Day Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 08:57 AM
MikeTheStrike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Track Day Virgin

Off to japfest this weekend, never been on track in my own car. I'm really stoked about it, but dont want to have missed something that would have helped once out there.

Any wise words of advice on track preperation of vehicle, I've fully serviced it and replaced pads. I'll even have a spare H&S back box with me in case my system is too noisy.

what to expect or look out for once out there, stuff like 'always let the car coming sideways from behind past', 'dont get flash' etc.

I'm not out to break lap records, just have some fun and come back grinning.

Mike
Old 18 May 2005, 09:36 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out for Quarry corner, SO many people come off there (including me). Make sure you have scrubbed off enough speed at the top of the crest (just after the main stright) before approaching it else its the tyre barrier for you!

Put an extra 4-6 psi in the tyres, take your time and enjoy it! Start off slowly and find your braking points and dont forget its not a race. Ignore anyone that is up your ***, if you are infront then you can go as fast or as slow as you like.

Have fun!
Old 18 May 2005, 09:57 AM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

You might find this useful. Posted a long time ago by John Felstead.

1) Pre-Event checks
a) Make sure the car is in a well maintained condition
b) Check ALL fluid levels
c) Replace the brake fluid if not changed at service specified interval
d) Check the condition/pressure of all your tyres, Make a note of the presures
e) Check your brake pads for condition/thickness, preferably put new fast road/comp pads such as Ferrodo DS2000 pads in, front and rear
f) Remove any accessories not securely fitted
g) Check the speed rating of your tyres, Make a note of this and never exceed it on track
h) Remove any floor mats from the drivers footwell
i) Remove the spare tyre if you have secure storage
j) Take some basic tools with you, enough to change brake pads at least
k) Take at least one axle stand for when you change the pads
l) Take some rags/swarfega for cleaning your hands etc
m) Fill up with OPTIMAX even on standard spec engine, you wont get more performance, just gives the engine more protection from detination. If you run on OPTIMAX normally put 1% octain booster in for safety.
n) Take a can of Red Bull, it gives you wings you know!

2) Spares etc to take
a) One set of brake pads at least, front and rear
b) One 5 litre can of oil
c) Some tape to cover your light lenses
d) A helmet
e) Some thin soled sports shoe's, aids with brake feel

3) Pre-track checks
a) Recheck your tyre pressures, if one is down you may have a slow puncture which could blow when at high speed
b) Increase the tyre presures by 4-6PSI higher than you run on the road
c) Tape up your headlights
d) Ensure you understood the driver briefing, if you are not sure about any aspect, ask for clarification. Ensure you understood the passing rules in particular!
e) Drink your can of Red Bull and put on your helmet

4) First lap on every run
a) Never thrash the car on the first lap, speed up gradually bringing the oil/water temperatures to normal working parameters
b) Gently bring the brake temperatures up to temperature
c) Use this lap to get familiar with your new, rather alien surroundings
d) Try and give yourself space front and rear, dont be tempted to follow the car in front too closely as you will be concentrating on him/her and not learning the track
e) Get used to checking your mirror before and after each corner, you will be amazed how quickly some cars will catch you if you are a track novice.

5) Rest of laps
a) Bring up the speed gradually if you are a novice, you will learn more
b) Give it Death, remember your there for fun
c) If you experience brake fade/boiling dont think it will go away before the next corner, slow down, it is very likely to be worse the next time
d) If you feel a power loss coming out of a tight bend back off, dont keep it planted, you are probably getting the first sign's of fuel surge, if you keep it planted you are risking detonation due to a week mixture. Return to the pits and refuel. This can happen with half a tank of fuel on board, dont get fooled into thinking it cant be happening already, it can.

6) Last lap in
a) Do a slow last lap in
b) Try to avoid using the brakes at all to give the disks/pads some chance to cool down
c) Dont stop looking in your mirror, there might be some idiot still on max attack

7) Entry to pits/stopping
a) Enter the pits slowly, look out for kids/speckies, it is easy to not hear you comming
b) DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE
c) Allow the engine to idle for at least 2 minutes, I usually give it 5 with my 350BHP
d) DO NOT PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON OR SIT WITH YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL
e) The above is to stop the pads from being destroyed by the heat sink effect from your red hot brake disks, stop on a level surface or arange for someone to chock you wheel.
f) Let everything cool before you check the following

8) Post run checks
a) Check the brake pads for wear, you will be amazed how quickly they are used up. This is especially so if on the donnington GP track and not the national
b) Check ALL fluid levels. You may never use oil on the road, you are almost guaranteed to do so on a track day
c) Check your tyre pressures, if one has dropped you may be on the way to a blow out
d) Check the tyres for wear/cuts
e) Check you are still not wearing a silly cheesy grin
Old 18 May 2005, 12:32 PM
MikeTheStrike
Scooby Regular

Talking

wow, that covers exactly what I need to know.

Thanks alot mark.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:14 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mike,
Don't forget to remove your number plates (the insurance company spies will be out in force),
Ecco what Nezz said about quarry corner, that crest just before really upsets the car if you are braking hard over it.

Enjoy though, Japfest is a good day to loose your track virginity as it's not full of numpties in thier mums metro trying to break the lap record.

Ian
Old 20 May 2005, 09:40 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

as mentioned by Nezz10, and in addition to what everyone else has said, be very careful at quarry.

the crest mentioned earlier is the avon rise, you need to make sure as a novice that you have all your braking and gearchanges done before you hit it, and ffs hit it while going straight with zero steering input.

make sure you have scrubbed enough speed to turn immediately after the rise, as if you approach too quickly, the combination of the weight moving about, and asking the front wheels to brake and turn, spits a lot of people in to the wall.

just take it easy, when all the other cars fly past you on the out lap don't be tempted to chase or try and keep up- just take your time, enjoy the ride, and drive within your own ability. as soon as enthusiasm overtakes ability you have a problem.....

anyway matey, have a good day, and come back in one piece

simon
Old 21 May 2005, 08:39 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Another Trackday novice about to take the plunge here.

Good reading

Hope someone manages to take some video footage of it from out side.
Might show how crap I really am.
12.40pm gulp!

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2005, 07:56 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

hooray back in one piece.... now where's all the video footage.

How did it go Mike??

Andy
Old 23 May 2005, 03:08 PM
MikeTheStrike
Scooby Regular

Talking

It went fine, I was really worried when I saw all the rain. It worked in my favour though as it cut the speeds and got you onto the limit quicker. It wasnt so hard on the tyres either.

I really enjoyed feeling the 4wd working and what it feels like when beginning to lose grip, and to start to feel comfortable gently sliding the car. You could never attempt that on the road.

Thanks for everyones advice on the tricky corners, it was used wisely. If I didnt know that I could well have binned it. Would I be wrong if I suggested the briefing was a little brief? The only new stuff I learnt was what was written on the walls about the zones and cone markers. I would have liked more info on the track. I only just made the top right/left 1st time, as there where no visual clues the corner was that one and not the further one in view.

Felt really lonely while I waited to go, crash helmet on, window up and the sound of rain bouncing of the car. The 1st laps were pretty tentative, then I seemed to be carrying more speed as the grip was dropping off through the corners. enjoyed it more on my own as I was being too nice when people where around me. Got some pops from the back when changing up out of quarry, which added to the grin. That was from the car of course, I'd done all my popping while waiting to go on track.

Red mist descended on lap 2, when some hatchback wanted to use me as a roller skate through a corner. I braked way too deep in to give him room to turn in before me, I'm glad I did as he stayed right up my tail-pipe all the way in. I figure he was on his braking limit and would have punted me if I hadnt. Only lasted until the following corner, before I punched myself in the head for being so dumb. I can see now how us boys get into trouble so quickly.

Came in wanting another go, but thats the trap isnt it.