Notices

Removal of rear suspension due to rush. All or just shock?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2013, 11:03 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Removal of rear suspension due to rush. All or just shock?

Hello, I have a 1995 impreza and she has failed mot on the rust! In the rear arches up where the legs attach there is a hole. Now the garage say the whole rear suspension needs dropping in order to access it!

So I'm wondering, if I take the wheel off, compress the spring, undo the bolts that attach the leg top and bottom will it slide off and out of the way

OR

Do I have to take everything off, discs, calipers, the arms that run across the car etc etc???

Thanks Claire
Old 08 December 2013, 09:40 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

To remove the rear strut in order to access the rear strut turret, all you need to remove are five nuts and bolts (and the brake line). Two 19mm on the bottom of the lower clevis, and three 12mm on top of the strut. Strut pulls right out and you should have clear access to the affected area. No need to remove brake calipers or rear lateral links, etc.
Old 08 December 2013, 03:07 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above fella its a 15 minute job to drop the strut off, you'll need the rear seats out to get access to the 3 bolts on the top of the strut, no need to compress the spring as it all drops out in one unit.

Mick
Old 10 December 2013, 06:17 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

tips: it makes things easier if you remove the rear seat belt pulley to get access to the rearmost tophat nuts. I use a ratcheting 12mm box spanner. If you have air tools, a small air ratchet fits sometimes. However, getting the the pulley back on can be a bit of a pain as there is a little slotted hook on the pulley that slides into the body. Small hands help back there.

15 minute job, depending on if you have rusted nuts and no air tools. On the lower clevis bolts, you will be turning the bolt head and not the nut so it will usually take more effort with hand tools.