Advice Please - 04 WRX Snapped Front Wishbone

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2013, 01:05 PM
Sean_H
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please - 04 WRX Snapped Front Wishbone

Afternoon all,

Fairly new to the forum and looking for some advice for myself and also a word of warning to some of you in case you have a situation similar to me.

Ok so my wagon had a major service (fluids and plugs etc) yesterday. I had previously noticed a knocking noise from my front passenger’s side suspension. The garage checked it out and told me that the wishbone was badly cracked and to take it easy driving it until I was to get it replaced.

Subaru quoted them around £350 for the replacement part and bits needed to replace the broken one. Not what I was wanting to hear considering the cost of a major service.

I knew that there was a recall done for inspection of the front wishbones so choose to wait and see what the Subaru dealer had to say and if I had any leg to stand on with them covering it.

Well, when driving home from the garage I felt the steering was less responsive and light under braking. Choosing to drive even slower and more carefully I arrived home only for the wishbone to snap when reversing my car into my drive. Extremely gutted but I feel very lucky for it to have happened when parking and not driving at speed with people or cars near. I limped the car into my space and the result is now the car is undriveable and just sitting at home.

Luckily I am off work but have no means of transport until this is fixed. This morning I have bought alloy wishbones from API and Powerflex bushes, whiteline ARBs link and ALK from Scoobyworld to replace for both sides. This is my back up in case Subaru don’t cooperate with me to be sure the car is back on the road asap.

The parts manager at my local dealership who is a decent guy and I have dealt with in the past is currently on holiday. I phoned my second nearest Subaru Dealer which is near Edinburgh who were great in giving me guidance on what to do next even though they admitted not having heard of this happening before. This is the part that should interest and maybe help others.

The car was recalled for the front wishbones in April of 2012. I thought as part of the recall the wishbones would have been replaced for a new or revised item but in actual fact they only inspect and coat the wish bones in an oil to avoid rust or rot etc. The wishbones are steel and seem to made up of two parts. Of course the snap has occurred at the weld. I don’t understand why they are steel when the alloy version seems a far better option and in my opinion the wishbones are a critical component to the suspension and safety of driving the vehicle.

The recall is referred to as a SU31 just so you know. In order for Subaru to process a claim/warranty work a PWA needs to be carried out. I have been told this involves an inspection and photos to be taken and reviewed to decide if the will cover the work needing done.

I phoned my local dealer and the Subaru parts manager should call me this afternoon. Skeptical as I know Paul is on holiday and don’t know of any other parts manager at their office.

I hope what I have done so far seems the right way to go about it. It would be great to know if anyone had been in a similar situation or any advice or guidance with this and dealing with Subaru. Also any guidance to what is the cheapest way of transporting a vehicle.

Any help appreciated,

Sean
Old 22 November 2013, 03:37 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sean

I remember this recall too,as our wagon has been fitted with those steel wishbones,but we are replaced them yourself(our garage replaced for us) just due we are been unable to get hold off anyone who dealing with this

I would go with Classic Alu Wishbones which you can buy them for £50 per pair or you can source later STI/WRX Aluminium wishbones which cost similar money as above

Jura
Old 22 November 2013, 04:16 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the understanding was they replaced the steel ones with aluminum ones as part of the recall?
Old 22 November 2013, 04:33 PM
Sean_H
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I also came to the assumption that they would have been replaced but according to the parts manager I spoke to that was not the case. Just inspection and a protection coating. Mine are definitely steel.

Going by ebay there is a lot of both steel and alloy versions going about.

I have ordered newage alloy wishbones, bushes, drop links and anti lift kit. All as a back up if subaru can't help.

Spoke to the parts manager earlier and has asked for me to take photos as i can't drive the car to the dealership. Plan on taking photos of the damage this weekend and hopefully hear from Subaru early next week.

Sean
Old 22 November 2013, 04:40 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sean

I would take yours wagon on the trailer to garage of yours choice without the doubts

Try speak with John@braveheartracingdevelopments

http://www.braveheartracingdevelopments.com

Here is his tel.number: 07713194599

Jura
Old 22 November 2013, 08:04 PM
Sean_H
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jura,

Thanks very much for the contact details. I will keep John in mind for future.

I had the car serviced at my nearest performance car centre. I trust them with my car and have used them in the past. I have made them aware of the situation and plan on booking it in with them once I find an affordable way of transporting the car there. They are 5 mins away from the subaru dealership and offer a free loan car.

Thanks for the advice. Like you I prefer to have the car worked on by a garage I trust. I am curious more than anything if Subaru would be willing to help with a claim as it would be good to know for myself and valuable information for other owners too.

Sean