Problem with Eibach Springs

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2013, 01:41 PM
blink
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Problem with Eibach Springs

Good afternoon,

I have a set of Eibach lowering springs on my 2003 Blob eye WRX and the front springs seems to be loose. ( I am able to move them by hand). When I am driving slowly over potholes or sleeping policeman i can hear a noise coming from the strut towers and i have checked and double checked everything and it looks like the problem is the springs

I have made a complaint to Eibach and they suggested trying 14.5mm or 15mm PU tubing. Has anyone done this modification? Does this solve the problem? Can you recommend someone who sells the right thickness of PU tubing?

I have seen various other springs from other manufacturers which have a sort of plastic sleeve near the lower part of the spring, but the eibach's don't!

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

blink
Old 30 August 2013, 05:42 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're able to move it by hand, has it snapped somewhere up the coil?
Old 30 August 2013, 05:48 PM
blink
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Fonzey
If you're able to move it by hand, has it snapped somewhere up the coil?
Nopes I bought the springs new, the car has done probably 2,000 miles on them and there was this knocking noise both withh the standard shocks, and also with the kayaba replacement shocks I purchased. I also double checked the serial number of the springs with Eibach who confirmed I have the right springs for the car.
Old 30 August 2013, 11:02 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I take it you are running standard suspension. As the springs are too short for use on the standard suspension.
Old 31 August 2013, 06:23 AM
blink
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 360ste
I take it you are running standard suspension. As the springs are too short for use on the standard suspension.
Yes I have Kayaba shocks which are equivalent to the standard shock absorbers. What puzzles me is that the rear springs are fine , it's only the front ones which seem to be loose

What are my options? Is there something like a spacer plate which can sit in between the spring and the shock absorber? or Is my only option to go back on standard springs?
Old 31 August 2013, 11:38 PM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

im sure eibach (well all makes) lowering springs are designed for standard shocks? otherwise what would they be fitted too?

but ive never rated eibach. had a 2011 focus st before my scooby and i fitted eibach lowering springs to that.
took them off within a week and replaced with apex which were 100 times better and less than half the price!!
the eibach ruined the ride and the handling was jerky,jumpy,skipped round corners and was just horrid!
apex made it much much better after.
i have apex fitted to my scooby now and am happy with them
Old 01 September 2013, 04:18 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Not really , eibach lower 25-30mm the most and are suitable for standart or equivalent replacement shock...

Originally Posted by jake1989
im sure eibach (well all makes) lowering springs are designed for standard shocks? otherwise what would they be fitted too?

but ive never rated eibach. had a 2011 focus st before my scooby and i fitted eibach lowering springs to that.
took them off within a week and replaced with apex which were 100 times better and less than half the price!!
the eibach ruined the ride and the handling was jerky,jumpy,skipped round corners and was just horrid!
apex made it much much better after.
i have apex fitted to my scooby now and am happy with them
Apex spring is a different type to eibach which is a progressive spring, and yes its skips a bit on lower speeds but comes alive when you push the car. the fact is that 25-30mm is not critical to 40mm of Apex spring. As much as you think its much better is not. It over lowers it by a way to much by stretching suspension arms and is affecting negatively cars handling. You need center correction kit to overcome this and put the suspension back to it's place... I have eibach springs and still use the bump steer or center roll correction kit to balance things off. Scoobys dont like being lowered at all.
Old 01 September 2013, 04:20 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blink
Good afternoon,

I have a set of Eibach lowering springs on my 2003 Blob eye WRX and the front springs seems to be loose. ( I am able to move them by hand). When I am driving slowly over potholes or sleeping policeman i can hear a noise coming from the strut towers and i have checked and double checked everything and it looks like the problem is the springs

I have made a complaint to Eibach and they suggested trying 14.5mm or 15mm PU tubing. Has anyone done this modification? Does this solve the problem? Can you recommend someone who sells the right thickness of PU tubing?

I have seen various other springs from other manufacturers which have a sort of plastic sleeve near the lower part of the spring, but the eibach's don't!

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

blink
How does the spring moves up and down or just spinning around in the shock it self?
Old 01 September 2013, 06:39 AM
blink
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mantazini
How does the spring moves up and down or just spinning around in the shock it self?
The car still drives well, but it does make a noise of metal touching metal at the strut towers when driving slowly over potholes or sleeping policeman.

When I jack the front wheel off the ground I am able to turn the spring around by about 1/4 turn, only at the front, as the rears are fine.

I bought the springs using the chassis number of the car which I have double checked with eibach that I have the correct kit for my car, So I am sure it's a fault from eibach, and although I have aftermarket shock absorbers, I have Kayaba which are exactly the same as what subaru supplied as I have compared them side by side and all measurements are the same.
Old 01 September 2013, 09:26 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

The front springs shouldnt be able to move by hand. They will clunk over speed bumps etc, mine do this. I ended up sheathing the top and bottom coils on the fronts with rubber hosing

I assume you have them seated correctly and have the rubber cap between spring and spring cap?

Also, if you look at std spring the top coil has a chamferred end, the eibachs dont, i think this is part of the problem with them, along with being too soft as they.are a progressive spring and also not designed for british roads aka speedbump central

tho i see you are in malta

Last edited by Gambit; 01 September 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01 September 2013, 01:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Tie-wrap ( big ones ) them into place...

dunx
Old 01 September 2013, 02:12 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

I used something like this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hose-protectors/4139332/ on the first two top and bottom coils. Unfortunately they need to be off the car to fit. eibach UK were kind enough to refund my money due to this including paying for the removal. I then bought Whiteline springs and used the spiralwrap to prevent similar problems. Note I never ran the whiteline springs without spirwrap so can't 100% say it will solve the problem.
Old 01 September 2013, 07:51 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Mine clunks a bit too but not much .have you put the springs in a correct way im thinking now . Theres a grove where the end of the spring has to sit as a grove on the top mount. If they sit correctly , you shouldn't be able to move the spring. Although it might be the case that you can move a bit when the car is jacket up as you loose the load. but it wont affect the driving. the clunking could be sorted with the later rubber base on the shock , sleeve or whatever its called ...