Notices

Classic Bilsteins with H&R

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2013, 08:07 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Bilsteins with H&R

Has anyone fitted this combo or H&R on uprated shocks.
I have Bilstein Struts and have just swapped to Tein S-Techs, from a Eibach Pro-kit to get a lower stance.
However, the S-tech are too soft and can make things quite bouncy at speed on our not so smooth A roads.

I have also recently tried a new set of P1 Eibach (Red's) and although these gave a better ride, the ride height of the car was exactly the same as the Eibach Pro-kit on the front and only 5mm down at the back !!!!!!

The Tein S-Tech give a 14mm Front drop and 24mm rear drop when compared to the Eibach Pro-kit.

Before you all say the S-tech's are too low and that's why, I would like to disagree.
The original Prodrive Bilstein setup as provided as an option and part of the WR kit sits at approx the same ride height as the Tein's.

I can say this as a good work friend of mine has had his Impreza UK WR for more years then I have had mine (and I had mine since 2003). We quite often park next to each other in the works car park and his car has always sat considerably lower. I have had many different suspension setups over the years and it was only when fitting the Tein's did our ride heights match.

So what I am really after is the Prodrive/Eibach WR springs, but you try fining those !!!!!!!!
From the Spring guides I have found it looks like the H&R (if it's accurate, are 204 front / 193 rear) which is fairly close to info available for the P1 Eibach (215 front / 195 rear).

This is a lot better then the S-Tech at 179 Front / 179 Rear.

For info the Eibach Pro-Kit appear to be 171 Front / 188 Rear.

Which when comparing Eibach, P1 Eibach and S-Tech out on the road the cornering feel and bump absorption / bounciness I've felt seems to match those number.
Old 19 May 2013, 08:41 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Scott, I ran H&R on my old uk car..... I did a ton of research myself at the time as I wanted it to ride lower but comfortable and after talking with a few people who ran them I decided to go for it and I never looked back.

I cannot remember the spring ratings in detail but what I do recal is they advertise as a 50mm, this measurement must be taken off the highest spring on an impreza maybe a basic GL model as the turbo is lower again as standard. Mine dropped around 25-30mm in reality and this was 100% spot on for me, they are a "progressive" spring and when driving around even though they are firm and you know your on a lowered car they take rough roads very well indeed with no crashing around.

I ran mine on my standard UK struts with no I'll effect, no noises and no problem at all... Infact they are still on the car now and Lee the new owner I believe is more than happy as well. If you search some of the old posts from Carl Davey he had them on his firstmwhite classic as well and it was after talking with Carl and another lad I knew running them I went for them as there not really many around that have them fitted as far as I can tell, it's a very over looked spring.

I'll post a few pictures to show you the ride height.....
Old 19 May 2013, 08:45 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.
Do you recall how the ride height compared to others on Eibach's ?
Like you I'm coming round to thinking the H&R's are a under-rated springs (as in user views rather than actual spring rates !!!!). The quality is there as they are also Geman (like the Bilsteins) and TUV approved.

Cheers.....
Old 19 May 2013, 08:56 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Here's an old on on 17's

18's

Springs are really not cheap these days so there's more than a couple of pictures to help you decide.

Personally from me I do not have a bad thing to say about them, all you need to remember is the car is lower so if you travel over a kerb or a nasty speed hump to be aware, we had a DIY speed hump in work that I used to touch slightly other than that all standard ones I was ok with but I never tried those naaty rubber triangles. (I solved the work one as I drove in through the exit in the end )
Old 19 May 2013, 09:04 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Thanks for the quick reply Simon.
Do you recall how the ride height compared to others on Eibach's ?
Like you I'm coming round to thinking the H&R's are a under-rated springs (as in user views rather than actual spring rates !!!!). The quality is there as they are also Geman (like the Bilsteins) and TUV approved.

Cheers.....
The quantity was great, I had them fitted for many years and even the finish remained well, no rust or or paint bubbling at all.

Ride height was considerable different Scott, I did have the data on imprezasport.net but the forum does not exist anymore. Of the top of my head it must have been 15-20mm lower than Eibachs, I'm not fitting them to the RA simply because I wish to maintain the OEM look and with the work I'm doing on the underside I wish it to remain visible, tart I know

What I have got though Scott are some side to side shots, mine against my mate Kev's type r on OEM struts with Eibachs springs both running the same size 18" with 35mm walls tyres.

I know it's on grass and hard to compare but mine was a lot lower sat there.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 19 May 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 19 May 2013, 09:12 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Ride height was considerable different Scott
Those differences look comparable to the Tein & Eibach. Will have a look though some of my recent photo's and post similar later.

I just found that when out for a run yesterday that the bounce at speed, particularly at the back was quite severe on the Tein's and the rear seems to lean more in a bends compared to the Eibach. The spring rates I have found would concur what I am feeling.
Hopefully the H&R may solve this.
Old 19 May 2013, 09:25 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I understand what your saying there... I was reluctant initially because I felt they may have been to low and uncomfortable but I have to be honest and say yes the car was low but not to low but the comfort remained, the handling was really good as well.... What we need to remember is running a 35mm wall tyre is really never the best as there's not a lot of give in it really so there are a few factors.

Your right as well in respect there's not many that have realised how good H&R springs are, maybe German onto Japanese puts them off

Come on where's the rest of the H&R owners I know there are a couple out there

Trending Topics

Old 19 May 2013, 05:40 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Eibach's Fitted

Tein's Fitted

Last edited by Scott.T; 19 May 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 19 May 2013, 07:06 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the bilstein/eibach combo on my old classic:

But I've just fitted the bilstein/eibachs to my second classic and for some reason it sits a bit higher than my old car?? maybe I had different springs on my old one as it was rock hard compared to my latest one.
I only have the front struts fitted in the photo as the rears are being refurbed by bilstein so hoping things will look a little lower when rears go on.
Definatly prefer the tein ride height though:-)
Old 19 May 2013, 07:36 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the post.
If your new Bilstein Eibach combo is using Black Eibach Pro-Kit instead of the Prodrive WR Blue Eibach's that's will be why the later car sits higher.
Eibach do advertise a Sportline kit which is lower, but no longer (or maybe never was) available for a Subaru Classic.
Old 19 May 2013, 08:19 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

A couple of great pics there Scott and I see the difference in height as well.
Old 19 May 2013, 08:27 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd post these two back to back as the heights look similar

Old 19 May 2013, 08:53 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Thanks for the post.
If your new Bilstein Eibach combo is using Black Eibach Pro-Kit instead of the Prodrive WR Blue Eibach's that's will be why the later car sits higher.
Eibach do advertise a Sportline kit which is lower, but no longer (or maybe never was) available for a Subaru Classic.
I definatly have the blue eibach springs on my latest classic so dont know why they would be higher than my old set? But still do have the original uk turbo dampers and springs on the rear until bilstein return my newly refurbed shock so may be not be the best comparison pic.
When i get the rears on i'll get another pic.

The ride is great though, compliant but firms up nice when getting a lick on
Old 20 May 2013, 01:12 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

No stock of H&R in the UK at the moment, so I'll have to wait until after my Ring trip this coming weekend. Shame as I would of like to have swapped the Tein's out for the H&R this week.
Old 20 May 2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Maybe worth seeing if there's a dealer near the Ring Scott... Possibly cheaper over there ?
Old 20 May 2013, 09:01 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Maybe worth seeing if there's a dealer near the Ring Scott... Possibly cheaper over there ?
You would think the place would be swimming in parts/tuning companies, but alas a pot of oil and 102RON fuel is about all the tuning you can find in the region.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

That's a poor show
Old 01 June 2013, 09:01 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Any news on the H&R's?, spent most of the day fitting the freshly refurbed bilstein/eibach shocks to the rear of my classic today and need to wait for a bit of settlement but i'm thinking i'd like some of the h&r's for the ride height.

i'll post a pic up soon
Old 02 June 2013, 10:58 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Still considering what to do, as mine is bottoming out on the Tein's and I don't want the same results from the H&R.

I may go and import some STi Pinks.......
Old 02 June 2013, 11:55 AM
maff125
Scooby Regular

bilsteins with blue eibach springs, rears have a day settlement

Ride heights growing on me though...:-)

Last edited by maff125; 02 June 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10 June 2013, 07:34 AM
JamesLucas
Scooby Newbie

I ran my own on my conventional UK struts with no impact, no sounds and no issue at all... Actually they are still on the car now and Lee the new proprietor I believe is more than satisfied as well. If you look for some of the old content from Carl Davey he had them on his first white traditional as well and it was after discussing with carl and another lad I realized operating them i simply just realized that it's a very over seemed springtime.. . .

maryland limousine | annapolis limousine | baltimore limo service

Last edited by JamesLucas; 30 October 2015 at 06:25 AM.