Notices

Camber question STI suspension fitted to a classic wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2013, 10:29 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber question STI suspension fitted to a classic wagon?

Hi fellas over the weekend I've fitted a nice set of inverted STI saloon dampers and springs to the front and rear of my 98 wagon turbo. All is well no knocking, nice ride sits about 15/20mm lower than the standard setup.

My question is can anyone confirm or deny what I've seen posted regarding the fact that fitting the STI saloon suspension to a wagon lowers the amount of usable front camber adjustment(something to do with the front lower arms being slightly different on a wagon which I didn't know about until I read it last night). Thanks in advance Steve.

The post did mention how to correct it with different camber bolts or to fit saloon lower front arms but this was on an Australian site and wondered if their version were different to the Uk cars.

Last edited by Firez34; 13 May 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 13 May 2013, 10:54 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

I thought the classics had same suspension wagon or saloon, though I don't know for fact.

The newage wagons have different track widths compared to the saloons, so you loose camber on the front and rear.

I don't recommend using camber adjust bolts aprt from the standard Subaru ones. the after market ones can get knocked out of alignment easily and aren't as strong as the original bolts, a problem if using on track.

I know on the newage there is a fair amount of adjustment on the suspension, I managed to get mine (with saloon coilovers) into spec without any camber adjusters on the rear. I now have saloon suspension on the front, so that wasn't a problem.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:38 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info on the camber bolts fella.
Old 14 May 2013, 12:45 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I disagree with above about the camber bolts,we are running Eibach camber bolts and we are tracking our wagon like on track days or drag strip,we are never have problem with camber bolts,but we are must to use camber bolts just due we are running wide wheels and more track orientated camber settings,plus wagon specific coilovers doesn't exist and we are running aftermarket coilovers

With 245/40 18 or 255/40 17 we can run max camber at front -1.4 and at rear we can run more(I think we are have this time set to the -2.30,I know its too much,but,but on drag strip this setup has been great,on track days not the best and on the road OKish)

Now with camber bolts we are running Front -2.00 and at rear -1.50, which is perfectly balanced like for track or drag strip and still awesome on the day to day driving

If you are thinking go lower,my advise go with Roll centre/bump steer mod,we are run before without this kit and now with this kit/mod car feels awesome like on track or the road

Jura
Old 14 May 2013, 10:17 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

I disagree with above about the camber bolts,we are running Eibach camber bolts and we are tracking our wagon like on track days or drag strip,we are never have problem with camber bolts,but we are must to use camber bolts just due we are running wide wheels and more track orientated camber settings,plus wagon specific coilovers doesn't exist and we are running aftermarket coilovers

With 245/40 18 or 255/40 17 we can run max camber at front -1.4 and at rear we can run more(I think we are have this time set to the -2.30,I know its too much,but,but on drag strip this setup has been great,on track days not the best and on the road OKish)

Now with camber bolts we are running Front -2.00 and at rear -1.50, which is perfectly balanced like for track or drag strip and still awesome on the day to day driving

If you are thinking go lower,my advise go with Roll centre/bump steer mod,we are run before without this kit and now with this kit/mod car feels awesome like on track or the road

Jura
Thanks Jura for the info I'm not going any lower than the slight drop fitting the STI dampers and springs have given(Roads are really bad in Derbyshire). The main thing I want to know now is does anyone know if it's true about the different sized front lower arms between classic saloon's and wagon's.
Old 14 May 2013, 10:43 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

I have 2 sets of Eibach camber bolts for sale if you need some, new unused £15 pair posted to uk address.

Thanks Jura for correcting me, I was only going on what I was advised when I went to fit mine, after looking at the bolts I thought i'd rather go adjustable arms if required on the rear, as it seems a more "proper" way of doing it.

I guess easy way is to give it a go and see.
Old 14 May 2013, 11:03 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Rear lateral arms/links are more designed to give you more toe than OE arms will/can give you,yes they can give you more camber,but with coilovers yes you have good adjustment on camber side

We are running too rear adjustable lateral links/arms,which is good to have,but if you are not tracking the car I wouldn't brother with fitting this kit

Camber bolts if only way to fit wide wheels on the wagon,if you are running fairly standard size wheels,you don't need to have camber bolts or you are running more conservative camber setup

About the difference between the saloon and wagon shocks,have look on this older thread

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...o-a-wagon.html

Jura
Old 14 May 2013, 12:52 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura that thread info was exactly what I wanted to know, why the hell didn't that show up in my search's the last couple of days. Your a star mate

My search skills aren't worthy

Last edited by Firez34; 14 May 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 14 May 2013, 01:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Firez34
Cheers Jura that thread info was exactly what I wanted to know, why the hell didn't that show up in my search's the last couple of days. Your a star mate

My search skills aren't worthy
Don't worry there

This thread should answer on yours questions

Jura