Notices

an annoying eek eek eek sound from front left wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2013, 12:08 AM
wrxvirgin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an annoying eek eek eek sound from front left wheel?

Im new to this so please have patient with me!

I have a 2002 bugeye impreza wrx saloon! Have had it for around 6 months!
I love this car in everyway its my first scooby and evan though I have this problem I still love it.

The problem is when im turning either left or right a hideous loud eek eek eek sound appears! Its coming straight from the front left wheel!
I jacked the car up and checked the wheel bearings which had play in it so I changed both sides! But this horrid noise was still there!!!! So next I looked at the brakes! And found that a piston was seized in each caliper! !!! So I have now changed the calipers for new ones! ! And still the sound is there!!!!!!! GRRRR. Please someone! Has any one got any ideas as to what I look at next?

Sorry for the essay! The sound follows the pattern of the wheel rotating so I go faster! It gets faster! Its so annoying and repetetive and just embarrasing lol!

Thanks
Old 22 March 2013, 01:16 PM
kevstar81
Scooby Regular

Could be your disks are warped. i know its expensive but look at new disks and pads.
Old 22 March 2013, 02:02 PM
wrxvirgin
Scooby Newbie

Thank you kevstar81 for your reply!

I have already replaced both discs both sets of pads and both calipers and also both wheel bearings!
I was taking a look at it this morning! To check all bolts are tight and not loose. Upon these checks I checked the centre wheel bearing nut and it was not loose loose but certainly wernt done up that tight!
So gave it a little nip up and the sound is still there but not as bad!
Im thinking that it needs a little tightening to eradicate this sound! Would a loose wheel bearing nut cause this?
Old 22 March 2013, 02:17 PM
kevstar81
Scooby Regular

Have you changed both wheel bearings?
The nut should have a safety pin in it or a cap to bend over so it does not move.
If its loose then yes it really can squeeq or even squeel while driving
Old 22 March 2013, 03:46 PM
wrxvirgin
Scooby Newbie

Yes I changed them about a month ago! And your right it has a cap the gets bent into a recese of the drveshaft arm that pops through! I have just been looking for my torque wrench so thatt I dont over tighten it! As I have been told that they are easy to crush! Do you know the torque rating for these nuts?
Old 31 March 2013, 08:28 PM
Zisis
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrxvirgin
Yes I changed them about a month ago! And your right it has a cap the gets bent into a recese of the drveshaft arm that pops through! I have just been looking for my torque wrench so thatt I dont over tighten it! As I have been told that they are easy to crush! Do you know the torque rating for these nuts?
The torque rating for the front bearing nut is 200-220 N.m.

Mostly your problem is the wheel bearing, an experienced mechanic will be able to spot it immediately. The front wheel bearings is a common fault for the 5x100 subs (WRX & STI's). Problem solved on 5x114 ones. If you ever replace the front bearings, check also the bearing housing, if the bearing-housing does not have the right fit due to previous fault, then it will be reason for pre-mature bearing wear.