Notices

Bugeye Wrx wagon

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2012, 07:26 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye Wrx wagon

Can anyone recommend suspension for a daily driver bugeye wagon?

I'm looking at Eibach wagon springs, but not sure what shocks, anyone got setups they can recommend.

Also are rear ARB's different on the wagon to the saloon?

Thanks.
Old 20 September 2012, 09:19 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

I'm running Prodrive springs on mine with standard shocks (pretty similar to the Eibach springs).

It's not a bad setup to be honest - not too stiff and pretty compliant on country road etc. They hold their own on track too.

My dampers are a bit passed it now (having been abused a bit ) and have been debating coilovers, STi dampers but in all honesty, I'll probably just replace them with KYB Excel-G dampers or maybe KYB Ultra-SR (stiffer / STI spec).

It's well worth changing the rear ARB (if keeping the front stock, then a 22mm adjustable one is probably your best bet) - the part number you need for a Whiteline one is BSR33Z. Fit-wise, they're the same for a saloon and wagon on the Bugeye. Not sure if there's a diameter difference - I have both at home so will measure and let you know.
Old 20 September 2012, 11:13 PM
6VOLT
Scooby Regular

I just put a set of apex lowering springs onto my 01 wagon..eBay specials.

Car handles great, not toonharsh..no saggy *** either
Old 21 September 2012, 06:06 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I think the eibach springs with the kyb ultra sr's is the way forward.

Keep looking at the bc coil overs, but as my daily driver I really should keep it sensible.
Old 21 September 2012, 08:19 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wagon_Si
Thanks guys, I think the eibach springs with the kyb ultra sr's is the way forward.

Keep looking at the bc coil overs, but as my daily driver I really should keep it sensible.
That's my thinking too... coilovers are great for what they do but normal fixed perch style dampers are (in theory at least) more robust / long lived and would be not far short of half the price.

Plus, the various adjustments available on coilovers is great and all that but in all honesty, I'd probably set them up once and then never do it again

Be advised though that if you go with the Ultra-SRs, you may want some camber bolts for the rear as they're designed for the saloon so you'll lose a bit of camber.

I'm also debating whether the extra damping stiffness of the Ultra-SRs would be a benefit or a hindrance on some of the pretty rough country roads round my way (maybe that's where the adjustability of coilovers would come in )... on my Forester XT, I had some custom springs made with massively uprated spring rates and used them Excel-Gs struts which was a really good set up for the roads round here so I'm wondering if the same might be true for the WRX.

BTW Koni also do some adjustable, fixed perch dampers but a) they're pretty expensive - similar to coilovers - and b) I'm not 100% sure they'll fit bugeye springs and top hats as they don't list a different version for MY01-02 vs MY03-05.
Old 21 September 2012, 10:19 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

Thanks, puts my mind at rest, will look into the Koni as adjustable maybe nice, track days are probably out as car has 135k on the clock and I think she needs to start taking it easy, but I know the inevitable will probably happen.

Might get a spare engine built up for a swap out sometime, had the car 3 weeks and starting to want more power, thinking of seeing if the current engine can take strain of about 330bhp. Need to sort warped front discs and suspected sticky calipers out so rude not to upgrade brakes.
Old 21 September 2012, 10:45 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Why not just get it mapped and decat the center pipe for now - the TD04 will see you good to 270-280. Then swap in a rebuilt engine with bigger turbo etc when it lets go?

Upgrading the brakes is definitely worthwhile

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2012, 10:52 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

Yeah will price options up as brakes are urgent, so need to factor some wheels to clear brakes as well. Got std exhaust with japspeed back box at mo, tempted to change for 3 inch Haywood and Scott full system next week with their up pipe, a sti top mount with scoop etc, panel filter and remap. Just seems like vf35 and some pink injectors are only a few more pennies and might save myself mapping twice. But I suppose I might just blow the engine and have a pile of molten metal.
Old 21 September 2012, 11:39 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Prob best bang for buck upgrade would be Godspeeds 335mm kit which clear the stock wheels.

I have a pair of Brembo GT calipers which take a 328mm two piece disc. Not sure if I'm going to fit them TBH but they fit under 17s.

It's a slippery slope!
Old 21 September 2012, 05:06 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the adjustable KYB AGXs with Eibach springs. Good set up when mated to Eiback ARBs and drop links etc. Harder than normal, but not harsh, especially when set to the softest setting. I've found one of the biggest factors is the actual tyre sidewall, so may be worth matching the set up to your personal needs.

I would not bother with coil overs, unless you plan tracking etc. Even then, the adjustables with KYB would give you some choice in terms of damping.

Good luck with the choice.
Old 21 September 2012, 05:22 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

We are running coilovers with FR and RR Eibach ARB's,WhiteLine ALK and Roll centre kit etc and we are very happy with this setup,we are using our wagon as for track and drag plus fast road,our setup is firmer than OE,but still comfortable

But I would say,if you are not looking track the car,good shocks with good springs is good way to go,many people in USA running Tokico shocks with Swift springs which have good feedback,KYB are good too,never tried them,but people who running them are happy

Jura
Old 21 September 2012, 07:23 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
I'm running the adjustable KYB AGXs with Eibach springs. Good set up when mated to Eiback ARBs and drop links etc. Harder than normal, but not harsh, especially when set to the softest setting. I've found one of the biggest factors is the actual tyre sidewall, so may be worth matching the set up to your personal needs.

I would not bother with coil overs, unless you plan tracking etc. Even then, the adjustables with KYB would give you some choice in terms of damping.

Good luck with the choice.
I've not managed to find AGXs for newage... where did you get yours?

Also, yes, tyres can make a big difference to the ride... though you risk losing a bit of turn in if you go with a softer sidewall - all a compromise I guess

Originally Posted by jura11
We are running coilovers with FR and RR Eibach ARB's,WhiteLine ALK and Roll centre kit etc and we are very happy with this setup,we are using our wagon as for track and drag plus fast road,our setup is firmer than OE,but still comfortable

But I would say,if you are not looking track the car,good shocks with good springs is good way to go,many people in USA running Tokico shocks with Swift springs which have good feedback,KYB are good too,never tried them,but people who running them are happy

Jura
Yes, heard good things about Tokico too - though again, they don't seem to list different versions for the bug vs blob.
Old 21 September 2012, 08:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gigsy
I've not managed to find AGXs for newage... where did you get yours?

Also, yes, tyres can make a big difference to the ride... though you risk losing a bit of turn in if you go with a softer sidewall - all a compromise I guess

Yes, heard good things about Tokico too - though again, they don't seem to list different versions for the bug vs blob.
They're few of them like Tokico HP Blue,D-Spec(they're adjustable),DSK etc.
Problem is they're available only from USA

And KYB AGX are too available for New age,but again from USA

Jura
Old 21 September 2012, 08:53 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
They're few of them like Tokico HP Blue,D-Spec(they're adjustable),DSK etc.
Problem is they're available only from USA

And KYB AGX are too available for New age,but again from USA

Jura
Aha! Suspect import duty and taxes would make them pretty expensive on this side of the Atlantic.
Old 22 September 2012, 06:08 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Gigsy;10798007]I've not managed to find AGXs for newage... where did you get yours?QUOTE]

I must confess it was all done via a garage and I didn't source any of the items, it was what was recommended within the package I specified some 4+ years ago.

But the adjustable damping was a nice half-way house.

Found some '02 newage on Ebay after a quick search: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-KYB-...item5d30be6b4d

Also: http://www.subaru4you.co.uk/suspension/agxGDSET.shtml

Might be worth a look Si?

Last edited by sprigeteer; 22 September 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 23 September 2012, 11:36 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

nice find Sprigesteer though not as cheap as i would have expected, though i will have to save and certainly give them serious consideration.

going to be out of work in a couple of weeks so am just deciding what needs doing and what can wait. think suspension may have to be on the wait list as brakes are urgently needing dealing with and i'm just about to order exhaust i think, not happy with the japspeed back box, it looks like it is hanging way too low on the wagon and also could do with the rest of the system being replaced. Will ring H&S on monday if i get time to order.
Old 23 September 2012, 12:09 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, those are very pricy... come in about £100-£200 more than the Konis....mind you, S4U do seem to be, how shall I put this, squeezing the most out of their sales margins these days.
Old 16 October 2012, 01:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

i might be too late to the party on this, but i'd avoid the eibach springs.

I've got them on my bug eye wagon with KYB shocks, and they're *really* hard... So hard that SWMBO complained so much I'm selling the car.
Old 16 October 2012, 11:06 PM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

Bc will make your coilovers to your requirements if you ring them spoke to them at jap fest they can make them for standard ride height on top setting with the ability to lower also do them in what ever damper rate you want all for the same price as off the shelf ones
Old 17 October 2012, 07:05 AM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

thanks guys.

i keep thinking about bc's still.

i may go with them as i imagine they would sell pretty easily if i decide they are too stiff.

the price of them is comparable to non coilovers with the bonus that i have camber adjustment at the front, damper adjustment, height adjustment and also i don't have to buy new top mounts. so all in a favourable package.

just a bit worried about cheaper coilovers as someone had fitted £200 ebay specials on my mx5 and to be honest, no suspension would have been better.