Notices

Which bushes to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2012, 12:34 AM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bushes to replace?

My car is coming up to 11 yrs old now, and some of the bushes will probably have perished, but Im unsure as to which to replace.

I will definately be getting some steering rack bushes, and some the bushes that add castor after reading Bonestter's thread, but the rest of the bushes will be done when funds allow, I would like some help in prioritising, which bushes need to be done asap, and which could I do over time?

Thanks guys
Old 16 May 2012, 07:03 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi BugSTi. I really wouldn't know if there's any right or wrong way to prioritise, but what about changing the steering rack bushings and front control arm bushings, along with the caster bush (and perhaps doing the 'free caster mod' at the same time) which will tighten up the front, and fitting a set of rear subframe lock down bolts.

This way the rear will not feel too out of balance after the front improvements, which for me would be the priority, and then the rears you can change later. Perhaps you may want to do other work there, such as lateral and trailing arm links...
Old 18 May 2012, 02:42 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that, I am going to take your advice, and will report back as soon as the work is done.
Old 19 May 2012, 01:29 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The only snag with doing the bushes slow time is that each time you dismantle things to replace a bush you are going to affect the geometry. When I changed all the bushes on my bug, I over time got all the bushes from power flex then had a mad weekend fitting them. Removing the bushes is the fun part my method was using nuts, bolts, penny washers and an array of sockets to push them out with some assistance from air tools and large hacksaws. Fitting the powerflex bushes was as easy as buttering toast. Then got the geometry done once all fitted, what a difference.
Old 19 May 2012, 06:22 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 360ste
The only snag with doing the bushes slow time is that each time you dismantle things to replace a bush you are going to affect the geometry. When I changed all the bushes on my bug, I over time got all the bushes from power flex then had a mad weekend fitting them. Removing the bushes is the fun part my method was using nuts, bolts, penny washers and an array of sockets to push them out with some assistance from air tools and large hacksaws. Fitting the powerflex bushes was as easy as buttering toast. Then got the geometry done once all fitted, what a difference.
Yeah, it can totally transform a car with some mileage on it. You're not just replacing for OEM either
Old 19 May 2012, 07:20 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remember that fitting OE new rubber bushes will make the car feel really tight and alive again. If you choose poly bushes just be prepared for maintenance tasks to keep them lubricated - do you want to do that? Rubber is fit and forget.
Old 24 May 2012, 08:04 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips guys, will update when its all done.