Handling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2012, 11:17 AM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Issues

Hi Guys

Got a bit of a problem with the way my car is handling while cornering was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'll try and explain...

When entering a corner the car feels unsteady like its about ready to let go this feeling seems to be coming from the rear. It isnt oversteering or understeering at this point and it never actually does let go even if I give it more power so I think maybe something is loose or worn possibly with bushings. Sorry if this is a bit vague but im at a loss of where to look. I am even considering switching to a set of coilovers but I dont really have the need for them I highly doubt the car will ever be used on track and if it doesnt fix the issue then its wasted money.

At the moment the car is running standard struts / springs with a slight creak from the rear when going over speed humps (that may be my problem but I cant work it out in my own mind to be sure so hopefully some of the experts on here can help )

I have had Whiteline ALK and 22mm front and rear roll bars with the rear on firm. The rear droplinks have also been recently replaced.
I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetricos all round.

The Geometry was done by Powerstation when I had the whitline parts fitted. Will see If I can dig out the printout and post on here.
Old 29 March 2012, 01:02 PM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

Found the Powerstation print out:
Old 29 March 2012, 04:43 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

The camber on the rear looks outside of the limits (middle column) ??
Old 29 March 2012, 05:17 PM
iandc
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dr_greenrinse
Hi Guys

Got a bit of a problem with the way my car is handling while cornering was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'll try and explain...

When entering a corner the car feels unsteady like its about ready to let go this feeling seems to be coming from the rear. It isnt oversteering or understeering at this point and it never actually does let go even if I give it more power so I think maybe something is loose or worn possibly with bushings. Sorry if this is a bit vague but im at a loss of where to look. I am even considering switching to a set of coilovers but I dont really have the need for them I highly doubt the car will ever be used on track and if it doesnt fix the issue then its wasted money.

At the moment the car is running standard struts / springs with a slight creak from the rear when going over speed humps (that may be my problem but I cant work it out in my own mind to be sure so hopefully some of the experts on here can help )

I have had Whiteline ALK and 22mm front and rear roll bars with the rear on firm. The rear droplinks have also been recently replaced.
I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetricos all round.

The Geometry was done by Powerstation when I had the whitline parts fitted. Will see If I can dig out the printout and post on here.
Try your rear arb on soft setting (if adjustable).
Old 29 March 2012, 05:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check rear shockers for leaks.

If in doubt, have it back to Powerstation, let them take a look and ride in it.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:17 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Alignment looks ok, as above adjust the rear A/R/B to the soft setting and give it a go. For piece of mind get the car looked over for weak or leaking shocks etc
Old 29 March 2012, 09:56 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your front 22mm bar adjustable, and if so what is it set to - soft or firm setting?
Old 30 March 2012, 01:11 AM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

No the front bar is not adjustable. I think the creaking seems to be getting worse it sems to be coming from the rear of the car. I had a friend have a look earlier and he thinks it might be sagging a bit at the back. Looks like I may need to invest in new suspension - any suggestions? Not really sure if I want coilovers I'm not likely to ever track the car.

I'll hopefully have some time over the weekend so will have a good check over the shocks and see if theres any evidence of leaking and give the rear bar a try on the soft setting. I would go back to Powerstation but unfortunately they are a good 3 hours away so a bit of a trek.
Old 30 March 2012, 10:21 AM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Try going back to the standard front arb, or get an adjustable one, I found the front arb on mine made the back end come out quite a few times on full stiff, no where near as much on soft, but im finding I like it best with standard front arb and adjustable rear arb, no understeer and no oversteer either.
Old 30 March 2012, 02:20 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're running 22 front and 22 firm setting rear, I would say, as far as roll resistance goes, the car should be fairly well balanced. If anything there could be a slight bias to understeer as the rear could ideally do with being a 24 adjustable, on the middle setting. This might seem like saying the rear will effectively be almost the same, but the thicker diameter of the bar makes all the difference.

You may have two separate issues - the creaking and the vagueness.

Last edited by bonesetter; 30 March 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 30 March 2012, 05:05 PM
highlandflyer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BugSti Malone
Try going back to the standard front arb, or get an adjustable one, I found the front arb on mine made the back end come out quite a few times on full stiff, no where near as much on soft, but im finding I like it best with standard front arb and adjustable rear arb, no understeer and no oversteer either.
That's just how I want mine, what setting is rear arb on and do you have wl drop links?
cheers
Old 16 April 2012, 05:57 PM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

Right finally managed to get some time to have a play with the car. I managed to get a good price on a set of nearly new Struts with Prodrive springs so have swapped them over. This seems to have cured the vague feeling but havent had chance to really push the car and make sure. I also purchased a set of Whiteline subframe lock bolts, havent fitted these yet but they may go further to sorting the back end.

The creaking is more or less gone now. I do have a minor creak from the front when going over speed humps I guess this might be the front antiroll bar or the links so thats the next step to look at.

I havent managed to source a standard or adjustable bar for the front as yet but the balance between front and rear is definitely better so it looks like im getting there.

Thanks for your input guys - much appreciated.
Old 18 April 2012, 01:30 PM
JamesWalker
Scooby Regular

creaking is usually bushes. Lube them and it will go away!
Old 18 April 2012, 02:08 PM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

Will do cheers - Hopefully get it sorted over the weekend
Old 11 September 2012, 04:14 PM
dr_greenrinse
Scooby Newbie

Thought I'd post an update with my latest findings...

The vauge feeling from the rear hadnt gone so bit the bullet and tried the subframe bolts - car felt very good at slower speeds but at track / naughty speeds it got a bit scary like the rear was wandering about (this was on straights). So they didnt stay on long.

Tried the rear bar on soft and that felt better on straights but on corners it all went very front wheel drivey so went back to medium which seemed to be the best compromise.

Still not happy so fitted a pair of Whiteline "front of rear diff" support bushes and a 24mm rear bar on medium complemented by a set of CDF droplinks.

Finally! The car now feels as it should - the dodgy rear feeling has gone and im not left suddenly wishing I could back off the power mid corner.
Old 16 September 2012, 05:38 PM
steve.m
Scooby Newbie

got a issue with mine and it sounds like what you had,
dual carriage way today the slightest steering adjustment and it feels like the rears steering, scary at 70mph. almost like the entire rear is detached !
what are the bushes you replaced Diff bushes ??

(standard classic my99)

if anyone else has advice im all ears
Old 16 September 2012, 09:01 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

I replaced the diff front outrigger supports - These: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KSB751

Are you running the subframe locking bolts? As id get those removed. Might also be worth getting the alignment looked at as well.
Old 16 September 2012, 09:10 PM
steve.m
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sheepy Sean
I replaced the diff front outrigger supports - These: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KSB751

Are you running the subframe locking bolts? As id get those removed. Might also be worth getting the alignment looked at as well.
thanks ill look into those im new to the impreza so not up to speed with whats what.

had a new tyre fitted last month and another yesterday both on the rear and today was the first time on a carriage way, so after i posted this i thought i should check the pressures, one was 36 other side was 45 !!!
reduced both down to 32 and took it for a test drive and its back to how it was but with just a mild rear steer at carriage way speeds so the problems still there but the stupid tyre pressure had made it dangerous.
Old 16 September 2012, 09:14 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

Not good at all - just demonstrates the need to regularly check pressures. I try and check them weekly when i can.