ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Handling Issues (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/930447-handling-issues.html)

dr_greenrinse 29 March 2012 11:17 AM

Handling Issues

Hi Guys

Got a bit of a problem with the way my car is handling while cornering was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'll try and explain...

When entering a corner the car feels unsteady like its about ready to let go this feeling seems to be coming from the rear. It isnt oversteering or understeering at this point and it never actually does let go even if I give it more power so I think maybe something is loose or worn possibly with bushings. Sorry if this is a bit vague but im at a loss of where to look. I am even considering switching to a set of coilovers but I dont really have the need for them I highly doubt the car will ever be used on track and if it doesnt fix the issue then its wasted money.

At the moment the car is running standard struts / springs with a slight creak from the rear when going over speed humps (that may be my problem but I cant work it out in my own mind to be sure so hopefully some of the experts on here can help :))

I have had Whiteline ALK and 22mm front and rear roll bars with the rear on firm. The rear droplinks have also been recently replaced.
I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetricos all round.

The Geometry was done by Powerstation when I had the whitline parts fitted. Will see If I can dig out the printout and post on here.

dr_greenrinse 29 March 2012 01:02 PM

Found the Powerstation print out:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...erStation1.jpg

SinghSuperStud 29 March 2012 04:43 PM

The camber on the rear looks outside of the limits (middle column) ??

iandc 29 March 2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dr_greenrinse (Post 10554701)
Hi Guys

Got a bit of a problem with the way my car is handling while cornering was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'll try and explain...

When entering a corner the car feels unsteady like its about ready to let go this feeling seems to be coming from the rear. It isnt oversteering or understeering at this point and it never actually does let go even if I give it more power so I think maybe something is loose or worn possibly with bushings. Sorry if this is a bit vague but im at a loss of where to look. I am even considering switching to a set of coilovers but I dont really have the need for them I highly doubt the car will ever be used on track and if it doesnt fix the issue then its wasted money.

At the moment the car is running standard struts / springs with a slight creak from the rear when going over speed humps (that may be my problem but I cant work it out in my own mind to be sure so hopefully some of the experts on here can help :))

I have had Whiteline ALK and 22mm front and rear roll bars with the rear on firm. The rear droplinks have also been recently replaced.
I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetricos all round.

The Geometry was done by Powerstation when I had the whitline parts fitted. Will see If I can dig out the printout and post on here.

Try your rear arb on soft setting (if adjustable).

alcazar 29 March 2012 05:27 PM

Check rear shockers for leaks.

If in doubt, have it back to Powerstation, let them take a look and ride in it.

JdcTypeR 29 March 2012 06:17 PM

Alignment looks ok, as above adjust the rear A/R/B to the soft setting and give it a go. For piece of mind get the car looked over for weak or leaking shocks etc

bonesetter 29 March 2012 09:56 PM

Is your front 22mm bar adjustable, and if so what is it set to - soft or firm setting?

dr_greenrinse 30 March 2012 01:11 AM

No the front bar is not adjustable. I think the creaking seems to be getting worse it sems to be coming from the rear of the car. I had a friend have a look earlier and he thinks it might be sagging a bit at the back. Looks like I may need to invest in new suspension - any suggestions? Not really sure if I want coilovers I'm not likely to ever track the car.

I'll hopefully have some time over the weekend so will have a good check over the shocks and see if theres any evidence of leaking and give the rear bar a try on the soft setting. I would go back to Powerstation but unfortunately they are a good 3 hours away so a bit of a trek.

Sti Addict 30 March 2012 10:21 AM

Try going back to the standard front arb, or get an adjustable one, I found the front arb on mine made the back end come out quite a few times on full stiff, no where near as much on soft, but im finding I like it best with standard front arb and adjustable rear arb, no understeer and no oversteer either.

bonesetter 30 March 2012 02:20 PM

If you're running 22 front and 22 firm setting rear, I would say, as far as roll resistance goes, the car should be fairly well balanced. If anything there could be a slight bias to understeer as the rear could ideally do with being a 24 adjustable, on the middle setting. This might seem like saying the rear will effectively be almost the same, but the thicker diameter of the bar makes all the difference.

You may have two separate issues - the creaking and the vagueness.

highlandflyer 30 March 2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BugSti Malone (Post 10556045)
Try going back to the standard front arb, or get an adjustable one, I found the front arb on mine made the back end come out quite a few times on full stiff, no where near as much on soft, but im finding I like it best with standard front arb and adjustable rear arb, no understeer and no oversteer either.

That's just how I want mine, what setting is rear arb on and do you have wl drop links?
cheers

dr_greenrinse 16 April 2012 05:57 PM

Right finally managed to get some time to have a play with the car. I managed to get a good price on a set of nearly new Struts with Prodrive springs so have swapped them over. This seems to have cured the vague feeling but havent had chance to really push the car and make sure. I also purchased a set of Whiteline subframe lock bolts, havent fitted these yet but they may go further to sorting the back end.

The creaking is more or less gone now. I do have a minor creak from the front when going over speed humps I guess this might be the front antiroll bar or the links so thats the next step to look at.

I havent managed to source a standard or adjustable bar for the front as yet but the balance between front and rear is definitely better so it looks like im getting there.

Thanks for your input guys - much appreciated.

JamesWalker 18 April 2012 01:30 PM

creaking is usually bushes. Lube them and it will go away!

dr_greenrinse 18 April 2012 02:08 PM

Will do cheers - Hopefully get it sorted over the weekend

dr_greenrinse 11 September 2012 04:14 PM

Thought I'd post an update with my latest findings...

The vauge feeling from the rear hadnt gone so bit the bullet and tried the subframe bolts - car felt very good at slower speeds but at track / naughty speeds it got a bit scary like the rear was wandering about (this was on straights). So they didnt stay on long.

Tried the rear bar on soft and that felt better on straights but on corners it all went very front wheel drivey so went back to medium which seemed to be the best compromise.

Still not happy so fitted a pair of Whiteline "front of rear diff" support bushes and a 24mm rear bar on medium complemented by a set of CDF droplinks.

Finally! The car now feels as it should - the dodgy rear feeling has gone and im not left suddenly wishing I could back off the power mid corner.

steve.m 16 September 2012 05:38 PM

got a issue with mine and it sounds like what you had,
dual carriage way today the slightest steering adjustment and it feels like the rears steering, scary at 70mph. almost like the entire rear is detached !
what are the bushes you replaced Diff bushes ??

(standard classic my99)

if anyone else has advice im all ears :)

Sheepy Sean 16 September 2012 09:01 PM

I replaced the diff front outrigger supports - These: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KSB751

Are you running the subframe locking bolts? As id get those removed. Might also be worth getting the alignment looked at as well.

steve.m 16 September 2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepy Sean (Post 10792075)
I replaced the diff front outrigger supports - These: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KSB751

Are you running the subframe locking bolts? As id get those removed. Might also be worth getting the alignment looked at as well.

thanks ill look into those :) im new to the impreza so not up to speed with whats what.

had a new tyre fitted last month and another yesterday both on the rear and today was the first time on a carriage way, so after i posted this i thought i should check the pressures, one was 36 other side was 45 !!!
reduced both down to 32 and took it for a test drive and its back to how it was but with just a mild rear steer at carriage way speeds so the problems still there but the stupid tyre pressure had made it dangerous.

Sheepy Sean 16 September 2012 09:14 PM

Not good at all - just demonstrates the need to regularly check pressures. I try and check them weekly when i can.