Advice For Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2012, 10:15 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice For Suspension Upgrade

Hi All,

I have now got my 2004 UK STI home from the dealer and it is time to start down the path of a few upgrades.

One of the things I want to get right is my suspension set up, I have used the search function and narrowed it down to three options.

1) Standard STI red shocks with Eibach springs

2) Standard STI red shocks with Prodrive springs

3) Tein (or similar) adjustable coilovers

My issue is this, I will drive my car to work every day which is 100 mile round trip from now to later on in the summer when I will buy something like a gold TDI.

I want a good balance of comfort combined with a lower look but also great handling. I will track the car in the summer but will probably go over to Spa and a few European tracks so I dont want something that will rattle the fillings from my teeth.

What do you all think I should do?

Kind Regards

Chris
Old 25 February 2012, 10:19 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coilovers everytime.
Old 25 February 2012, 10:20 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
coilovers everytime.
Which ones, as I hear many people complain they are too hard. There was a second hand set of HKS Hipermax for sale but I passed on them in case they were as hard as some people say they are?
Old 25 February 2012, 10:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for tracking your car i would suggest coilovers too,we are running HSD HR which are not the softest,but great on track i must admit

But if i would go again with coilovers choice i would go everytime with KW V1,V3,if its budget Nitron will be mine choice,which i've tried and must say on softest car has been like with OEM suspension setup,just been lowered,on hardest setting has been still nice too drive.

Really best is try few suspensions setups and decide from this,if you have friends which have coilovers i would ask him for drive

We are tried few before we are went with HSD,but at this time if i try KW V1 or KW V3,we would go with these or Nitron 2 way which cost around £1600

Jura
Old 27 February 2012, 01:31 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With what you're looking to do, my vote would be with strut and springs. These will do a great job for your commute, and also perform decently as a fast road set-up. You wont be getting into over-lowering territory, and will have comfort, but firm and controlled handling.

As your main useage will be for the road, you could consider changing out arb's for something adjustable front & rear, say a 22F/24R. That way you could tweak up the firmness for your track days. After all, Spa and the Ring are relatively bumpy and favour a more compliant 'floating' set-up of the fixed perch...
Old 27 February 2012, 01:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
With what you're looking to do, my vote would be with strut and springs. These will do a great job for your commute, and also perform decently as a fast road set-up. You wont be getting into over-lowering territory, and will have comfort, but firm and controlled handling.

As your main useage will be for the road, you could consider changing out arb's for something adjustable front & rear, say a 22F/24R. That way you could tweak up the firmness for your track days. After all, Spa and the Ring are relatively bumpy and favour a more compliant 'floating' set-up of the fixed perch...

How many track days you are done with your struts and springs?
For fast road no doubts are great,but for track days with aggressive wheel fitment,in our case 255/45 R17 Toyo R888 with 9JX17" strut combo will be good for nothing...

If you want stick with struts and shocks you will be limited in camber(yes camber bolts,camber plates will help) and other settings,you don't need lower to max and drive there every time,we are running HSD HR which on hardest setting are firm and on softest are just as OEM set-up

I've done few track days like here and like in EU(Most,Brno etc.) and there i've tried like old school combo strut and spring combo on friend EVO and later on he swap this for Tein and difference in cornering has been just astonishing

I've tried here in UK too few setups and really i would go again and again with coilover setup.

Ask guys which running more track days and who running too TA,what will recommend coilovers or strut and spring combo

Jura
Old 27 February 2012, 02:06 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The OP is commuting 2000+ miles a month, and we don't know over what kind of roads, for the next few months. That could trash a set of cheaper coilovers.

It's all about compromise. As for camber, how much do you want to track use? -2.5°... fine, camber bolts can do that. We don't know what OP will be running tyre/wheel wise for his TD's either. Mine is only a point of view
Old 28 February 2012, 01:46 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Don't ruin a fine road car for 300 track miles a year.

For a car that gets TRAILERED to the track, and fast road/hooning at weekends, fine, fit coilovers. But they ruin you the rest of the time!
Old 28 February 2012, 07:39 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Its a complete fallacy that coilovers automatically mean a bone rattling ride. A coilover is a damper unit and spring. There is absolutely no reason why they cant be built to give you all the adjustability that coilovers offer (ride height adjustment, damping adjustment, camber adjustment etc) whilst improving the quality of ride over the standard set up.

Because they tend to come with adjustable damping you can stiffen up the damping rate to control body roll and pitch for track work and then soften them back off for the ride back home and when you watt to press the car back into day to day duties.

Proofs in the pudding, heres a brief discussion between a customer who had recommended the BC Racing set up to another Impreza owner regarding our 5/4kg.mm road kit:

Originally Posted by 14N-FR
Huge thank you to Bren.

My BC's and adjuster extenders arrived on Friday and I had them fitted in about 5 hours.

Just made my final adjustments to the ride height on each corner today and could not be happier.

I opted for the 5/4 on my hawk eye STi which in my opinion removes the crash/bumpy ride of the STi suspension and allows the car to connect better with the road over the rough stuff. it also removes the dreaded STi bouncing down motorways/dual carriageways.

I am extremely impressed with the quality of the BC's and Bren's excellent service.
Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Glad you like em mate! Told you they were MUCH better than the std set up! What settings do you have the dampers on?
Originally Posted by 14N-FR
Thanks for your advice also on getting the 5/4's!

I am running them on 16/8 dampening from soft like you are and I dropped the ride down about 40mm front 30mm rear.

It's just so much nicer to drive over rough and bumpy roads. The wheels feel totally connected to the road now unlike the before when they jumped from bump to bump.
More info here www.bcracing.co.uk

Last edited by bren@apex; 28 February 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 29 February 2012, 06:47 AM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Is that my old mate Bren form the SXOC ? there can't be many Bren's from Apex..

Could have done with you help when I was modding my Nissan GTR.

Right expect a call this lunch time.

Chris aka Boost Junkie from days of old on SXOC
Old 29 February 2012, 10:38 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Thats me, it has been a long time indeed!