Notices

What would be the BEST suspension setup for TEIN S-Tech springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2012, 09:51 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the BEST suspension setup for TEIN S-Tech springs ?

Hi. As above, I'm running on Teins with 22mm rear ARB and uprated drop links (also rear) and was wondering what else could be fitted to get best results ?
Or maybe should I get rid of them and fit coilovers ?
Need your advice guys.

Thank You
Old 10 January 2012, 09:52 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Reason why I'm asking is that I'm not quite happy with handling (still too much understeer) but very happy from the car looks like :-(

I know there are things like ALK and Front Roll Centre adjustment kit but would these make any difference ?
Old 10 January 2012, 11:37 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Anybody ?
Old 10 January 2012, 11:46 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Honestly? The trash bin or just keep your car on the show car route.

If you value cornering performance over boulevard cruising then these are probably one of the worst springs you can buy. Your car will handle better and corner faster with the OEM springs than with the STechs. There are purely an aesthetic lowering spring, nothing else. They look dope though!

Here's a good thread explaining it in a bit more detail:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1267918

A roll center kit can help with the geometry issues but they won't help with the lack of travel and soft spring rate. So, yes, sell the off as soon as you can.

What kind of car do you have?
Old 10 January 2012, 12:12 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Hi Arnie. I've got a V2 Sti 96.
So, what are the best springs to get for a Classic Sti ? Will coilovers be better option ?
I've had Eibach P1 springs fitted for couple of weeks. Handling was superb but didn't like the ride height and swap them for Teins. Completely opposite result :-( I think that wasn't the smartest move I've done.

Why is so hard to get Classic Sti lowered and keep good handling apart from fitting coilovers ?
Old 10 January 2012, 12:39 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Its not just an issue with Classics, its an issue with all Imprezas. If you want your car to handle well you need to maintain suspension travel and maintain decent geometry. Something you don't get when you slam your car with springs like STechs. For Imprezas I've always had a basic handling mantra "If it looks dope, it handles like ****e." In a nutshell, cars that look great are more often than not, overlowered or lowered "improperly".

In my opinion, the best springs for the classic were/are either P1 springs or STi Gymkhana Tarmac springs. The P1s are a good match for the original V5 struts, the WR Bilsteins or Koni's. The Tarmac springs are much stiffer (285F/275R) and were originally designed for Showa struts. Super firms struts and basically non driveable except at very high speeds where you got some energy into them. But they worked really well with Koni's. On a budget the KYB AGX works decently with the P1 too.

If you can find a used set of P1's, go for it. You'll also need a proper damper for them though as your V2 dampers is not enough for them.

As to coilovers, the advantage, in general with them is the dampers are shortened so that you do have more travel at lowered ride heights compared to using stock struts and lowering springs. However not all are created equal. There are several popular low priced coilovers out there right now, that I'm personally not a huge fan of. But its hard to beat the price as they seem to tick all the popular bells and whistles that people want. But I wouldn't be caught dead with them on my car. I think for most people looking for a proper handling setup that doesn't cost 2k GBP, you can't beat a good fixed perched damper and quality spring. its too bad that there are not as many options out there for the Classic. Heck, even new age Impreza's have limited damper choices. Only the bug eye has any real selection that fit properly.

But you have to remember, just fitting coilovers will not make your car handle well. Setting it up properly is even more important. But if you go the coilover route, fitting a good set is very important. So don't make the mistake of thinking they are some magic pill that will transform your car into good handing one.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 10 January 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11 January 2012, 03:59 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27
Why is so hard to get Classic Sti lowered and keep good handling apart from fitting coilovers ?
Whats wrong with fitting coilovers? They will give you the ride height you want, you can adjust the way the car handles with them, they have built in camber adjustment, you will retain the stroke that you need when lowered to avoid hitting the bump stops etc.

Whats not to like?

Buy a set of BC Racing coilovers from me and if youre not 100% happy then ill do you a 30 day no quibble money back guarentee.

Cant say fairer than that
Old 12 January 2012, 09:42 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Arnie,
Please take my apologise for replying that late. I've had problems with my Internet connection in last couple of days :-(

Thank You for the reply. Really nice and interesting write up :-)
I think I'll have a go and try coilovers. I think BC's are the ones I'll go for.
Old 12 January 2012, 09:47 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Bren,
What is the best delivered price on these you can offer me ?
I'm not able receiving PM messages at the moment due to my box is full and from some reason I can't erase old messages.
Old 12 January 2012, 02:00 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

No problem! Hard to argue with all the features offered with the BC's at the price point. Not my cup of tea, but like I say, I'm just one opinion in a sea of many. Try to follow some of the basic setup and alignment specs some of us have discussed in some of the recent threads as a base line. See how you like it before you deviate too much. Best of luck!
Old 20 January 2012, 12:19 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Its not just an issue with Classics, its an issue with all Imprezas. If you want your car to handle well you need to maintain suspension travel and maintain decent geometry. Something you don't get when you slam your car with springs like STechs. For Imprezas I've always had a basic handling mantra "If it looks dope, it handles like ****e." In a nutshell, cars that look great are more often than not, overlowered or lowered "improperly".

In my opinion, the best springs for the classic were/are either P1 springs or STi Gymkhana Tarmac springs. The P1s are a good match for the original V5 struts, the WR Bilsteins or Koni's. The Tarmac springs are much stiffer (285F/275R) and were originally designed for Showa struts. Super firms struts and basically non driveable except at very high speeds where you got some energy into them. But they worked really well with Koni's. On a budget the KYB AGX works decently with the P1 too.

If you can find a used set of P1's, go for it. You'll also need a proper damper for them though as your V2 dampers is not enough for them.

As to coilovers, the advantage, in general with them is the dampers are shortened so that you do have more travel at lowered ride heights compared to using stock struts and lowering springs. However not all are created equal. There are several popular low priced coilovers out there right now, that I'm personally not a huge fan of. But its hard to beat the price as they seem to tick all the popular bells and whistles that people want. But I wouldn't be caught dead with them on my car. I think for most people looking for a proper handling setup that doesn't cost 2k GBP, you can't beat a good fixed perched damper and quality spring. its too bad that there are not as many options out there for the Classic. Heck, even new age Impreza's have limited damper choices. Only the bug eye has any real selection that fit properly.

But you have to remember, just fitting coilovers will not make your car handle well. Setting it up properly is even more important. But if you go the coilover route, fitting a good set is very important. So don't make the mistake of thinking they are some magic pill that will transform your car into good handing one.
Well said....