Notices

Whats wrong with my Apex/BC coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2011, 09:31 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my Apex/BC coilovers?

My car has been parked up for two months following rear end shunt (bumper cracked), but since having it back Im certain there is something wrong with the coilovers (apex/bc br).

The ride is terrible, I did set the coilovers to full soft for a few days in case they have seized up, now they're set to 16 all round which is what I had before, but no difference.

Its like the suspension is not working, or it has no travel at all. The car always had a hard ride but handled well, now it doesnt handle or ride well.

The car does not take bumps very well at all, or even very slight undulations in the road, I cant understand why this would be?

Any help guys?

ps car is a jdm bug sti.

Thanks
Old 14 October 2011, 03:11 PM
KrisBuc
Scooby Regular

maybe alignment is out on car now after shunt and garage fixing it
Old 15 October 2011, 05:15 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, I had the geometry re done as soon as I got the car back, Ive noticed the adjuster ***** now make no difference to speak of either on full soft going to full hard.

The ride is extremly bouncy, hard, and when driving on a country road that I have driven on hundreds of times, the car feels crap, I can no longer do the speeds I used to as it just feels dangerous.

The planted feeling the car is gone, to make matters worse the coilovers were only fitted in march.

There is no suppleness, the car is either crashing and banging, or jerking and bouncing over everything to the pint of knocking me out of me seat.

Last edited by TylerDurden; 15 October 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 17 October 2011, 04:00 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

I think it's worth removing the suspension and performing a compression test to make sure the dampers are working as they should be.
Old 17 October 2011, 05:44 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT
I think it's worth removing the suspension and performing a compression test to make sure the dampers are working as they should be.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the dumb response, but how do you do this?

I do have the car booked into a garage for thursday morning and it is something I will ask them to do.

Turns out the Apex warranty isnt worth the paper its written, this whole thing is costing the same as a new set of coilovers.

Think I'll start saving and go KW v1 this time.
Old 17 October 2011, 06:11 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Thanks for the advice, sorry for the dumb response, but how do you do this?

I do have the car booked into a garage for thursday morning and it is something I will ask them to do.

Turns out the Apex warranty isnt worth the paper its written, this whole thing is costing the same as a new set of coilovers.

Think I'll start saving and go KW v1 this time.
I am currently having a problem with my top mounts which Apex are sorting out and paying for under warranty
Old 17 October 2011, 06:11 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

If you're interested in KW, we're one of their dealers, that what we use on the Time Attach Evo 8 we built

To test, remove the spring, set it to fully soft, compress the piston fully and allow it to decompress by itself, it should do so smoothly at a constant pace. If it's jerky, or excessively slow you've got a fault. Also keep an eye out for leaks of the fluid itself.
Old 17 October 2011, 07:52 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -shane-
I am currently having a problem with my top mounts which Apex are sorting out and paying for under warranty
I dont have a drive way, so I have to pay a garage to remove the coilovers, leave the car there, pay to have them sent down and inspected, then have them put back on the car and a new geometry.

I cost me £350 last time, to have them installed and a geometry, but this time there are more expenses and Ive only had them since march, not even 10k miles.

But goodluck with your problem and I hope you get it resolved
Old 17 October 2011, 07:54 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT
If you're interested in KW, we're one of their dealers, that what we use on the Time Attach Evo 8 we built

To test, remove the spring, set it to fully soft, compress the piston fully and allow it to decompress by itself, it should do so smoothly at a constant pace. If it's jerky, or excessively slow you've got a fault. Also keep an eye out for leaks of the fluid itself.

Many thanks for this, was wondering how you would compare the KW v1 or v2 for fast road use, motorway etc and country roads as opposed to any of the BC products.

Originally my first instinct was to go for KW's, but thought I'd try the BC/Apex after reading posts on here.
Old 21 November 2011, 04:37 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Turns out the Apex warranty isnt worth the paper its written on
Really? What were you told when you contacted us?