Warranty claim on leaking shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2002, 09:15 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all

Has anyone had a warranty claim on there Impreza turbo regarding shock absorbers?
My impreza is a 1997 Catalunya with 57K miles on the clock and has just failed it's MOT on the rear shocker which is leaking oil and has now started sagging a bit causing very scary steering and handling.
I original bought the car from a main dealer and was given a 12 months subaru warranty for a used car.
I went to the main dealer last week and told them what has happened and said that they will fix it under warranty.
However I am just wondering whether they should do the otherside as well ??? what do you think ???

I am just worried that one new shocker at the rear will upset the balance of the rear ???

cheers

Gary.
Old 25 April 2002, 09:49 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had mine done on my MY00 (rear nearside). Only found it when I had my springs changed at TSL. I take it you hadn't noticed any adverse effects with it being knackered or you would have changed it before MOT??

Well, my dealer changed the single shock....and I didn't notice any difference

I'd say you'll be OK. If the other side is operating correctly, shouldn't be an issue, and even if it wasn't, you haven't noticed one side not working properly as it is (I'm assuming )

Just re-read your post....obviously depends on how long the shock was knackered for it to sag. Mine would go in and would dampen, but wouldn't naturally come out. Still had plenty of oil in it at the time, just wasn't working properly.

[Edited by Hanslow - 4/25/2002 9:51:13 PM]