Suspension Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2011, 07:39 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Suspension Woes...

Hi,

This weekend I decided to grease the rear shocks in my '05 WRX wagon (I'm sure one of them has started to knock). It's turning out to be much more involved than I expected

Getting the struts off in itself was no real issue and I had them in the garage pretty quick. The first shock came apart pretty easy too - I cleaned that and re-assembled...

The second shock however would not 'lock' to allow removal of the bottom nut. I think it was slightly corroded also. I tried cutting a slot in the stud to get a screwdriver in etc whilst I undid the nut but that didn't work either. As such I had to dremel it off...

Little did I realise that the m10 nut I had drilled off was 1.25mm pitch and being a Sunday nowhere was open to get me one (B&Q didn't have). I've ordered a nylock nut off eBay as a replacement - I hope this is OK? I'm worried I will not even be able to torque the thing correctly since the strut wont lock anyway. Hopefully I can get someone to hold the shaft from spinning whilst I torque the nut up...

So I decided to install the completed strut anyways so I was at least half way there, and during installation 2 of the 3 top mount bolts broke. I read in one of the guides to use 45Nm but I now know this was far too much. Can you get new bolts to put in?

So it's Sunday evening and I still have a car on axle stands on the driveway so I will have to try and get lifts to work this week. I could cry!
Old 11 September 2011, 08:09 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that fella, always the way that something goes wrong.
Old 11 September 2011, 09:26 PM
mmcd87
Scooby Regular

Live and learn I guess. Still feel a bit annoyed about it all though.

Well I've just gone and bought 2 used newage top mounts (hopefully will only have to use 1...). Expensive mistake.

Can anyone confirm whether a nylock on the bottom of the strut would be ok or should I find an equivalent replacement (looks like a bolt with built in washer). With the nylock (or any regular nut), should a washer be used or would it be OK without?

Does anyone have any tips for aligning the entire strut assembly when putting back together to fit into the car? I was finding that when putting the strut back onto the car the top mount was always a few degrees out so the bolts did not align properly with those on the car.

Thanks