What are Coil overs?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2011, 10:24 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are Coil overs?

And are they for me?

Noticed a knocking recently at the back, just wanted to know if coil overs would be the suitable replacment and how much I could be looking at to fit. I'm not after extreme top end as I don't track but I am after a strong unit.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 30 August 2011, 10:32 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

BCs all day long for me. Good value for money and a good range of settings.

I got a deal at £650 for all four corners including the extenders for the rears.

I was in the same boat as your goodself, my rear OEMs started knocking, I thought about just replacing the rears but then I thought, knowing my luck I'll replace the rears and then the fronts will go.

Took the plunge with the BCs and I'm well chuffed

I had mine fitted at Scooby Clinic, I think they were about £200 to fit off the top of my head but them I paid £60 back home to get the Prodrive geo.

Last edited by Scoober-Dubs; 30 August 2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Fitting
Old 31 August 2011, 07:47 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Interesting you mention the Prodrive geo, I have Prodrive springs at the mo and don't really want the car lowered as I'm happy with the set up. I assume its the dampers that are fooked so will the BC's maintain the current ride hight handling etc..?

Price sounds good, a colleague paid £1030 @ Subaru. so I'm looking at about £850 fitted for upgrades?
Old 31 August 2011, 03:53 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG_STi
Interesting you mention the Prodrive geo, I have Prodrive springs at the mo and don't really want the car lowered as I'm happy with the set up. I assume its the dampers that are fooked so will the BC's maintain the current ride hight handling etc..?

Price sounds good, a colleague paid £1030 @ Subaru. so I'm looking at about £850 fitted for upgrades?
Yeah, the beauty of the BCs is that they're height adjustable should you change your mind about the ride height there's scope to have a play. I've got mine sitting 4mm lower than when I had my Prodrive springs, but I've been able to adjust the damper rate which has given me a happy medium between a smooth ride but firm and precise and much better.

I then had rear camber bolts fitted as mine's a WRX (yours should already have the rear camber adjustment) so that I could have my front and rear camber & toe settings as per the Prodrive recommendations.

It all depends on what you're after. I just like the idea of having the flexibility...oh, er and the grip