Notices

spherical top mounts question

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2011, 03:11 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spherical top mounts question

ive got a set of apexi n1 coilovers with spherical top mounts, been on there since ive had the car. decided to have alook at them today mainly to give them a good clean as they are a bit worse for wear.

ive noticed that the top mount plate is held to the chassis by 3 12mm nuts and bolts which is fine but the top mount plate is held onto the rest of the coilover by 4 poxy m6 allen bolts, whats the point of having the 3 12mm nuts if the coilover is only held on by those 4 allen key bolts.

i removed the 4 allen key bolts, hmmm came out really dodgy, even worse the thread in the holes is only about 3mm deep which i had to retap. i mean most of the time obviously it will be fine but say you went over a jump or round a really hard bend whats to stop the coilover camber position moving or worse over a jump not returning to the place its meant to go because then you would have the weight of the wheel etc hanging on 4 m6 bolts
Old 27 August 2011, 08:53 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is little sideways leverage to move them, it's mostly loaded in the vertical plane...