Notices

My GDA`s handling and wheel alignment coming up!

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2011, 09:02 PM
The king
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GDA`s handling and wheel alignment coming up!

Ive reached a point where I dont have time or money for more upgrades, so I figured Id do an alignment and get over with it.

Any views and inputs on my angles are very welcome, but dont get pissed if I dont follow every advice out there Ill also add some comments on the upgrades for those interested in such.

I use the car pretty much every day, but Im very performance focused, and I enjoy several track days with high focus on lap times. And I dont like to loose. At all

Mods:

2.5L 270 WHP 370WNM
RA-R short ratio 5spd tranny
DCCD 65/35 with DCCDpro.com controller
1 way LSD front
**** VLSD rear (next upgrade to come!)
Race coilovers - Dont remember the brand (10 and 8ish kg spring rates), seperate reservoirs, adjustable ++
Whiteline front and rear adjustable swaybars

With above mods, the car had great grip, and high cornering speeds. turn in is not to bad, but a little understeering, and it suffered somewhat from midturn "nervousness" from the rear end. Also midturn understeer was quite noticeable. Out of turns is quite hard to tell, since the DCCD has such a trumendous effect on flat out handling. It really defines the car out of turns more then anything Ive ever done to any car.

Further mods to fix above problems:

Roll center kit
Whiteline subframe lock bolts
Whiteline subframe bushings (big ones locking the front bushings of the diff carrier)

This helped a lot actually. Less understeer all over, midturn the car feels geatly planted, and the rear end no longer needs a to settle, especially noticeable when you have no/low load on the chassis.

Oh, and the DCCD with DCCDpro.com controller should have a 10 page review! My God what a difference!! I just cant recomend this upgrade enough!! But thats not what this is about-

Next up is a wheel alignment. Based on the alignment papers that followed the car, compared to my handling, I was thinking the following:

Front:
Camber: Current: 2.2 - New: 2.5
Caster: Cant be adjusted right? If I can get more then Ive got, Ill keep the current static camber settings.
Toe: I was thinking 0, or slight toe out, but then Im a bit worried for severe inside wear. Any views on this?

Rear:
Camber: Probably wont go further then the current 1.6, which is pretty good anyways.
Toe: Current: -1 - new -1.5.

Any input from the scooby experts? If I can get away from work, Ill take her to a twisty track with some Yokohama AD08`s, picked for its claimed abilities in wet (rains like hell here!) on Sunday. Cant wait to set a new personal track record, expected to be easy in this, though underpowered, AWD driving machine.
Old 08 April 2011, 08:36 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wise man advised me to swap the front top mounts and re-position to obtain maximum castor, this adds dynamic camber as the wheel is turned.

HTH

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 12 April 2011 at 12:47 PM.