Forester STI Lichfield

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2011, 04:49 PM
Mike Finch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Forester STI Lichfield

Good Afternoon
i have recently purchased a 57 Plate Forester STI Lichfield on a private sale, it is has a couple of issues :-
1) Both the ABS and brake warning light (handbrake on) are both on all the time, i have checked the brake fluid level and all 3 bulbs are OK, - Any ideas ?

2) The suspension / tyre set up seems a little on the firm side,
The tyres are Toyo on the front and bridgestone on the rear.
I think the suspension is the Impreza STI set up, but not had this confirmed
as yet. - Is it possible to get a softer set up without too much of a loss in
handling ?

Other than that think the car is just awesome
Any advice would be much appreciated

Forester Mike
Old 15 March 2011, 09:17 PM
Mike Finch
Scooby Newbie

sorted the warning lights - fuse had gone, the suspension is standard STI and non adjustable, anyone get any ideas to soften it up a bit ?
has anyone fitted standard forester suspension ?
Old 16 March 2011, 10:04 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Mike- you might want to check out this forum and thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...fference-7607/

You'll probably get more info regarding Forester suspension tuning there. On the whole, like Impreza STi, the Forester STi struts are valved pretty stiffly. They both have similar low speed, grumbly ride quality. They smooth out at speed, when you get more impact energy into them but low speed is always pretty jiggly. Stiffer springs help smooth out the Impreza STi struts at low speeds and it might be the same for the Forester (no personal experience with it).

You can certainly go to standard Forester suspension but it will a downgrade, performance wise. Car will elicit the typical floaty, wallowing SUV suspension. Not sure if you want to go that route. I'm not sure if there is anyone who is revalving and rebuilding STi struts in the UK, though it is certainly possible. A shop in the US rebuilds and revalves STi struts, called FEAL Suspension. People are also going with WRX suspension components but that does tend to lower the car quite a bit.
Old 27 March 2011, 11:41 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike,

I have an FSTI on even more aggressive suspension and have learnt to live with and now quite like it. Suspension is a very personal thing, but one idea might be to go with Forester STI specific STI 'pink springs'
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...06-fsti-84770/

I have driven Fivos's car after the modifications I think it is a good compromise between ride and handling.

Just don't go with coilovers like AST for instance, the ride will usually be even harsher.

One thing to check, are your tyres 225/45 or has someone fitted 225/40 as that might make a difference.

Last edited by Fleetwood; 12 June 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12 June 2011, 12:20 PM
Andy 1968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fleetwood
Hi Mike,

I have an FSTI on even more aggressive suspension and have learn't to live with and now quite like it. Suspension is a very personal thing, but one idea might be to go with Forester STI specific STI 'pink springs'
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...06-fsti-84770/

I have driven Fivos's car after the modifications I think it is a good compromise between ride and handling.

Just don't go with coilovers like AST for instance, the ride will usually be even harsher.

One thing to check, are your tyres 225/45 or has someone fitted 225/40 as that might make a difference.
Hiya m8.I have a 2004 forester sti and was looking to lower it a little with lowering springs but cant find anywhere thats does them,Are the pink springs you mentioned original or aftermarket and what ride height does that make the car?Thanks Andy.
Old 12 June 2011, 02:00 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Have you tried talking to Iain (Litchfield). I'm sure he'll be able to help/advise.

Best regards,
Ian

p.s. Don't write off AST's as too hard until you've tried them 8-)
Old 12 June 2011, 05:43 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy 1968
Hiya m8.I have a 2004 forester sti and was looking to lower it a little with lowering springs but cant find anywhere thats does them,Are the pink springs you mentioned original or aftermarket and what ride height does that make the car?Thanks Andy.

Hi, Pink Springs are official STI option springs for the Forester STI.

STI offer lots of Pink Springs as options to most STI cars and standard Subaru's so you need to make sure you get the correct ones.
You can order them from Japan Parts (not cheap, but the easiest way I know to order)
http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...=1005G-053-049

These lower the car around 20mm from standard (says this in the description and confirmed by Fivos here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...i-pinks-83377/)

Suspension is a pretty personal thing but AST's have a bit of a marmite reputation with FSTI owners with some (like Fivos) switching back to standard.

Personally I feel that if you are going the Coilover route then I would go with either Apex/BC's or spend alot more and go with exe-tc's or equivalent as I don't think AST's offer much more than BC's for a substantial increase in price.

There are some other aftermarket spring makers but most have stopped making them for the Forester SG model, so your other choice would be to get some customer made.

In fact I think even exe-tc have stopped making them for the Forester so your choices are limited.
Old 13 June 2011, 08:19 PM
Andy 1968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fleetwood
Hi, Pink Springs are official STI option springs for the Forester STI.

STI offer lots of Pink Springs as options to most STI cars and standard Subaru's so you need to make sure you get the correct ones.
You can order them from Japan Parts (not cheap, but the easiest way I know to order)
http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...=1005G-053-049

These lower the car around 20mm from standard (says this in the description and confirmed by Fivos here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...i-pinks-83377/)

Suspension is a pretty personal thing but AST's have a bit of a marmite reputation with FSTI owners with some (like Fivos) switching back to standard.

Personally I feel that if you are going the Coilover route then I would go with either Apex/BC's or spend alot more and go with exe-tc's or equivalent as I don't think AST's offer much more than BC's for a substantial increase in price.

There are some other aftermarket spring makers but most have stopped making them for the Forester SG model, so your other choice would be to get some customer made.

In fact I think even exe-tc have stopped making them for the Forester so your choices are limited.
Hiya m8,Thanks for the reply.Think i will give litchfields a call to see if they can get some or at least point me in the right direction.Thanks Andy.
Old 18 August 2011, 09:37 PM
discodave6969
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys you can get 30mm lowering springs from whiteline.
Old 18 August 2011, 10:56 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by discodave6969
Hi guys you can get 30mm lowering springs from whiteline.
Not any more, they have stopped producing the springs and any that were available were snapped up by the Forester boys
Old 18 August 2011, 10:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy 1968
Hiya m8,Thanks for the reply.Think i will give litchfields a call to see if they can get some or at least point me in the right direction.Thanks Andy.

Litchfields or David Henry Cars can import them for you, but due to the exchange rate are very reluctant to do so.
Easiest to do it yourself via Japanparts.

Not sure yet whether Subaru UK/Pro-R will be doing eibach springs for the Foresters.