Notices

Lowering my impreza

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2010, 12:43 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my impreza

Right, i have decided im going to lower my impreza its a turbo 2000, and in the past with the other cars iv had ive lowered them which causes the tyres to wear quicker on the inside. Will this be a problem on my impreza as the suspension setup is totally different from what im used to and im unsure if it will upset the camber of the wheels or not. Thanks Leon
Old 25 December 2010, 09:33 PM
Harry25
Scooby Regular

I got sum eibach springs just wanted to know do u leave the plastic cover on the two rear springs
Old 25 December 2010, 11:16 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

I guess youd transfer the spring cups over yes
Old 28 December 2010, 09:38 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You just need it setting up after you get them fitted mate
Old 29 December 2010, 08:19 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

so if i buy some uprated shocks and springs and transfer them over, will it upset the camber of the wheels? i dont want excessive tyre wear like i have had on my other 'slammed' cars
Old 02 January 2011, 11:35 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you have the geometry reset after install. Have the camber set at a mild angle like -.7 deg and zero toe.
Old 06 January 2011, 09:46 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Just make sure you have the geometry reset after install. Have the camber set at a mild angle like -.7 deg and zero toe.
Surely camber settings are dependant on driving style, tyres, roll angles, etc.?

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2011, 10:01 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lookout
Surely camber settings are dependant on driving style, tyres, roll angles, etc.?
You are absolutely right! I'm definitely making some assumptions on what the OP "needs". Best is to ask first what tyres, driving style, conditions, etc. the OP has.

From a performance standpoint, different tyres definitely require different camber settings for optimum performance. But one can generalize a bit with the Impreza format a bit. Basically anything under -1 deg camber and zero toe will be decent on tire wear if you hit the twisties a couple times a month (which I ***ume everyone on this forum does ) and do mostly straight cruising. One can go milder, say -.5 but even with mild suspension mods, the front tires don't really like it as soon as you turn. From my experience, regardless of the tire, the Impreza needs minimum -1 deg of camber up front if you really want the thing to turn.

Rear camber will be whatever its going to be without running aftermarket camber bolts, so just have the tech even things up as much as possible. Rear toe is definitely a contentious subject. Some like toe in, some like toe out. So best to talk to someone you trust or try both and see what you like.

And actually one's camber settings can vary depending on how you are driving month to month. I used to live in a very hilly, twisty area. Some months I was driving "aggressively" daily. I was running -2 deg of camber and had perfectly even tire wear. The followings months I drove more relaxed and started to get some inside tire wear! So backed my camber off to -.75 and all was good...until i started driving faster and then got outside shoulder wear! Back to -1.5 for the following weeks. So, yes, even one alignment setting isnt' good enough for some!

Last edited by Arnie_1; 06 January 2011 at 10:12 AM.