Notices

Booked in for Coilovers - what geometry settings?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2010, 09:29 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Booked in for Coilovers - what geometry settings?

I have my car booked in now for the BC coilovers to be fitted next friday, but was wondering as I've heard/read people ask for "Prodrive geometry settings" to be apllied.
I'm guessing they would be more advanced settings to dial out some under steer maybe?, or would the coilovers and standard settings minimize this anyway?

Lastly what ride height should I go for, I'm thinking something like a 25mm/30mm drop?, like you get from lowering springs, but then it can be adjusted accordinly.
Old 03 September 2010, 10:22 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I had BC coilovers fitted about a month now.

They make a huge difference.

Things I have learnt:
Go as low as you dare. 50mm drop means you can still go over speed humps and the handling is the best. Not sure how driveshafts will wear but they are only consumable items anyway

Sometimes you can set them too hard. The hardest I set them was 24 front and rear (30 being hardest). For me this was too hard - you drive slower to save your spine. Setting them to 0 (softest) is essential before a 4hr motorway journey to save said spine.
When they are hardest setting the back end will step out all day long but for me was too skittish - changing the hardest/softest fixes and under/oversteer within minutes.

I don't know what the prodrive settings are sorry so I can't reference my geometry settings, but I now Sumopower meddled with my geometry and can't complain.
Old 04 September 2010, 11:14 AM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply

So you may not have standard STI settings then? This is something I'll have a chat with to my guy on fitting day, I might sudjest a fast road set up, just nothing extreme enough to kill tyres.

Did get some info like 0 toe front & rear, then 1.5neg camber front simialr back, so how that differs from standard I dont know?

I was only thinking of doing different settings whilst all the equp was fitted, could say keep it standard and let the coilovers sort the rest.

Is it easy to know who many clicks of hardness/softness you have made?
and adjusting the ride height is that easy?
dont you have to measure the top of the tyre to the wheel arch making sure its equal?
Old 04 September 2010, 12:31 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

Its very easy to know how many clicks you have made.
The idea is you keep a note book in the glovebox

Or each time you change them take them back to hardest setting then keeping turning one click at a time softer and softer. When you are at hardest setting you can't go any further but if you turn more than 30 clicks towards the softest setting then you can keep going (basically its impossible to tell if you are on the softest setting without counting up 30 clicks from the hardest setting) and I guess the adjuster will pop out.

Its all in the instruction manual though dont worry.

As for ride height - not so easy. Can be adjusted on the car. Apparently you just use some tape to make existing level on the thread then just turn up or down from there. But then you will have to get the geometry set up again

Changing the geo is easy - most garages can do it, but if you have settings you want specifically then make them aware when its on the ramp - saves having to do the job again i suppose

As for how you check if its level again its best to do it on a ramp. Even on supposedly level tarmac road the road is not level and you will be out. Just make sure that everything is always symetric

Last edited by carlosWRX; 04 September 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05 September 2010, 11:46 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Adjusting the ride height is going to affect the geometry settings, pick your ride height first and adjust the geometry to suit, raising the car 25mm will alter the set-up...

dunx

P.S. Tein advise on 345mm F and 340mm R for a new-age...
Old 05 September 2010, 12:44 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Looking at the car this weekend and measure the gap of the archs, its the rears that look as if they will be more closer, so thinking setting the height to around a 35mm drop should be ok, don't think they'll rub, as it looks like the wheels will tuck under the archs.