Notices

ARB - Whiteline or Cusco

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2010, 02:52 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB - Whiteline or Cusco

Hi, I have a conundrum and wondered if folks on here have experience. I can get a 22m Whiteline rear anti-roll bar for my 55 WRX for £150. Or a 18mm Cusco for £180. I will be fitting BC BR suspension soon. Which is best? Thiner Cusco might be made of better quality steel, but whiteline is cheaper and thicker. Mmmmm. Whichever I get I will let you know what i think of it. Feedback welcome. Thanks! carlosWRX
Old 29 July 2010, 07:02 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlosWRX
Hi, I have a conundrum and wondered if folks on here have experience. I can get a 22m Whiteline rear anti-roll bar for my 55 WRX for £150. Or a 18mm Cusco for £180. I will be fitting BC BR suspension soon. Which is best? Thiner Cusco might be made of better quality steel, but whiteline is cheaper and thicker. Mmmmm. Whichever I get I will let you know what i think of it. Feedback welcome. Thanks! carlosWRX
I've had an adjustable Whiteline one on the rear of mine for years, really good stuff (the paint is corroded now, but it's still good). Made a big difference to cornering feel. No experience of the Cusco one though....
Old 29 July 2010, 07:26 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use neither - Eibach instead and the paint won't fall off.
Old 29 July 2010, 07:34 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I have ordered the whiteline ones but I'm having to wait at the moment as they have recalled them. I'm not sure why but I'm not in a massive rush so I'm happy to wait.
Old 01 August 2010, 07:13 AM
Whiteline Automotive
Scooby Regular

Default Whiteline swaybar material and diameter

G’day everyone,

Bungleaio, as you’ve ordered the Whiteline swaybars I just wanted to comment on issue of relative diameters of swaybars and the issue of material.

I can’t really comment on what material each manufacturer uses but I can mention that there are largely 2 different type of swaybar material, solid and hollow. Hollow tube is generally made from a relative complex steel hybrid that is not strictly speaking “spring steel”. These bars weigh less as there is less actual material in play in resisting the torsion (acting as an anti-swaybar) so the diameter needs to be increased to compensate with a nominal wall thickness to deliver the same outcome as a solid.

Its not unusual for a hollow bar to be 30-50% larger diameter than the equivalent solid. Spring steel is the most common material used for solid stock and aftermarket swaybars. Generally its the same material as used by the coil spring people and it has a “modulus of rigidity” factor that defines how much resistance its offers. When designing and comparing swaybars we generally use the same factor or constant in our calculations as there is not a lot of variance.

So, its a reasonable assumption that given the same overall shape, most 18mm swaybars will deliver the same sort of performance and cannot be compared with a 22mm.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
jim@whiteline.com.au
Old 02 August 2010, 12:30 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks Whiteline Jim for taking the time to reply. So are the Whiteline bars the hollow variety as they are generally thicker (up to 24mm)? Also do you know the nature of the recall and when Whiteline ARB will be back in stores? carlosWRX
Old 02 August 2010, 01:06 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only use Cusco suspension components.

best in the business in my opinion.

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2010, 11:57 AM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I got an email from Whiteline last night, they are trying to get some new stock in the UK in the next 5 weeks.
Old 08 August 2010, 05:41 AM
Whiteline Automotive
Scooby Regular

G’day everyone,

carlosWRX, Whiteline do not use any hollow swaybar designs as we are more focused on delivering larger ranges of sizes and options which means we run out of material if using hollow tube. The resultant diameter is just too big and unworkable when we try to replicate 24 and 27mm solid upgrades.

Not sure about the stock issue but looks like from Bungleaio answer that stock will be coming back through soon. Let us know if we can help further.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
jim@whiteline.com.au
Old 13 August 2010, 05:30 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop Graeme who is the authorised whiteline supplier in the Uk an email. He is am excellent guy and knows his stuff when it comes to setting up an Impreza.

sales@impexautomotive.co.uk