Notices

Whiteline droplinks and front / rear ARB - DIY fitting or do I need a garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2010, 08:03 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteline droplinks and front / rear ARB - DIY fitting or do I need a garage ?

Alright folks !

I have a 2004 WRX and I'd like to improve the handling a little. A lot of people have said that I should start by replacing the standard droplinks and ARB both front and rear. I have priced all of this kit up and I seem to be able to get it for a reasonable cost. However ....... is this the sort of job I can do at home myself. I would class myself as a 'beginner-DIY mechanic' and have access to trolley jacks, ramps and a decent tool kit.

Or will I have to pay a garage to fit these parts for me ?

I know at some point I would need a four wheel alignment and this would mean a visit to a garage. Any advice or comments appreciated !!!

Cheers,

Wilky.
Old 25 June 2010, 03:44 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

I am going to fit front and rear ARBs droplinks etc and I was going to do it myself, I don't believe they are that hard to do, just remember to soak all of the bolts with plus gas or similar the night before and remember that the bolts must be tightened when the weight of the car is on the suspension. Ramps are best unless you are about 6" fat!!

Good luck
Old 25 June 2010, 05:02 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Rear bar is an hour including a coffee.... jack her up as it makes feeding the new bar in easier.

Front is a bit more involved, can't remember if the front reinforcing U-frame needs dropping, or is that just for the ALK (?)

dunx
Old 25 June 2010, 07:34 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers gents !! Appreciated. Will give it a try myself then !!!
Old 25 June 2010, 10:32 PM
Mortster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put 24mm Perrin ones on mine, you can do the front without taking off the frame, but it requires a little patient.

When doing the drop links, your'll have to drop the car down a bit to line the holes up.
Old 15 July 2010, 04:30 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Yep its fairly easy for a mildly competant DIY mechanic, get the car on a level surface and jack the car up so the tyres are just touching the ground, then it all goes on and lines up quite nicely
Old 29 July 2010, 12:49 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

ok so I am getting tempted with a Whiteline rear ARB.

As with such DIY jobs what if it goes wrong? what if the holes dont line up and need to refit the standard bar?

If its only 1 hour for a DIY maybe a garage will only consume half hour labour charge?

p.s. When getting your 4 wheel alignment done make sure the garage has a new laser system. They are really good. Most Kwickfits have them and everyone lives near to a quick fit.

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2010, 01:23 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

any alignment system wether done with a "string computer" or a new fangled Laser is only as good as the operative and his knowledge in setting the car and equipment up correctly.......

alyn