Meister R coilovers - Special deal £429

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2010, 12:57 PM
Gsung1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meister R coilovers - Special deal £429

Hello,

Picked up my car other week (newage blobeye sti) and im super impressed with it apart from one thing! The suspension is way too soft.... So i have been looking at getting a set of coilovers for the car. I first thought about BC but after reading 7 pages of complaints, that has completely put me off them.

Than i remebered a company called Meister R.. not sure whether you lot have heard off them but they are huge in the Honda scene. I enquired with Jerrick (the owner of the company) whether they make a set of coilovers for Impreza's and he confirmed they do - DC5 Zeta

http://www.meisterr.com/Site/DCS_Zeta.html

http://www.meisterr.com/Site/Subaru_GD_5x100.html

He confirmed there is currently a special deal instead of the usual £700 they are £429 as the new model will be coming out soon.

So i have purchased a set

For a review of these coilovers go on http://www.civiclife.net/board/index...iew-struggles/

Ive copy and pasted the text from the thread

MeisterR Coilovers review:

First impressions of these were good. The fitment was spot on, the adjustability was easy and the ride was good. Ill go in to depth about each aspect of them and compare them to the D2?s that I was used to.

Fitment:

The fitment was great. Normally you just take for granted that the unit will just fit in a piece of cake and all will be well. These did just that. If I compare them to the D2?s with regard fitment I would say straight away that they were better. This is down to the pillow ball top mounts. The D2?s did not feature the pillow ball top mount. This meant that when the top mounts were secured to the civic?s shell inside they would sit right. However when it came to lining up the strut at the bottom they would not match up to the LCA. This meant that you would have to push the coilover towards the middle of the car to get them lined up. This in turn would mean that the top mount would be pushed away also. This meant that there would be a gap in-between the top mount and the shell of the civic. This would leak water in wet weather and also dirt would get in the gap. The meister?s did not do this.

So fitment wise these would get 10/10. I cant honestly see anything that?s a miss fit on them at all. Just an easy straight swap.

Ride height adjustment:

This was very similar to the D2?s. However I rated the D2?s height adjustability as good as it could be so this is no down side. In the pictures that were put up of the meisters it showed the strut being lowered up to 60mm. now you have to take into account some maths here. The coilovers might adjust 60mm however the car will go lower than this due to the moments.

Now this will show that if the strut is extended (located in ?strut hole?) by 60mm, the ?hub hole will extend by more due to the leverage on the LCA.

The picture isn?t amazing but should give you an idea that this kit will lower your car by more than 60mm. mine isn?t set to the bottom and its tummy is already saw.

The ride height adjustment is as easy as pie. The strut will move freely on the threads and the two provided ?C? spanners are more than enough to get the tightened up.

again i would give these a high rating. 10/10 simply because they will go low enough to be touching the flaw and high enough to get over any speed bump.

Damper:

Now this is what makes this kit far, far superior to the D2?s! The D2?s were 32 way damper adjustable. These are 15. This is great deal because the D2?s were such that one click made no noticeable difference to ride comfort or handling. However on the meister?s you can feel one click difference. Front or back. The clicks are nice and easy to feel as well. The kit recommends that 6 clicks all round is a good damper setting for road use. I tend to go harder. Just because I prefer to have a very stiff car setup even on rough roads. I set the back to 8 clicks and the front to the recommended 6 clicks. I have since taken one click off the back because it was a bit too tuff for me.

The best bit about the damper though is the rebound and bound rates. There are different to each other. This means that they will rebound faster than they will compress. You may not think this means much but when you compare the two it makes one hell of a difference.

For example. When nailing it down a country road with the D2?s you could come up to a corner with a slight bump half way round. The D2?s would take the but initially really well. However because the rebound wasn?t faster the car would lighten up over the bump. This would mean that too much weight was off certain wheels. This meant that it was a hard car to drive on the average country road. On the other hand I haven?t been letting off at all with the meister?s. They take the bum initially very well and also rebound fast enough to keep the tires firmly planted on the road at all times.

For this reason I would go for these over the D2?s. iam not just saying this because I own them. You know what iam like with changing my mind over things. If they weren?t as good as D2?s ide be back to them by now.

i would give damper 8.5/10. this is because it can be slightly bouncy at times. although iam sure more playing around will sort this out.

Handling:

Again iam going to compare to the D2?s. First impressions of these weren?t good. Ill be honest. I literally changed from D2?s to these in one day. So I felt the difference hugely. I didn?t put any pre-load tension on at all at first and was a bit too fast to judge them. It was too soft for me (hence extra clicks on the rear) and felt a bit willowy. This meant that the car would not respond as well and as precisely as it would with D2?s. However pre-load tension sorted this out a treat. After a bit of a play with the rear I can safely say they are as precise if not more precise than the D2?s. They are predictable and well worth the ??????.

8/10. they handle brilliantly for the comfort. great compramise (if you can call it that) however not quite as precise as the D2's on a standard setting.

Pre-load tension:

Been mentioned above but though I would add to it. Putting preload tension on the coilovers changed the handling somewhat. The car responded nicely to the pre-load I put on and has made the car even more predictable. Obviously this has hindered the comfort somewhat but I don?t care. I didn?t buy coilovers to drive like a nanny to a cake shop.

10/10. simple reason because its easy as pie to put pre-load on the spring and the car responds brilliantly to it.

Comfort:

These were way more comfortable that the D2?s. For once when I put them on I thought they were a little too comfortable. They took all the bumps well, were never skittish around corners and even pot holes were not a problem. Again you find the compromise between handling and comfort so comfort didn?t last too long for me although for the handling I don?t think its bad.

7/10 because there coilovers. dont expect a VIP style ride when you fit them. more comfort would compromise the handling so iam happy with what they are.

Other comments:

I know that the spring rate has been targeted in the last review. However I would say it was too much. My cars pretty slammed and it will easily touch down on the road if I hit a bump hard enough.

D2?s Vs meister.

Would definitely pay extra for these. The adjustability is better, the ride is better, the damper is better, they have pillow ball top mounts, proper bump stops and seem more robust.

Complaints:

Ive had to scrutinize to find some down sides to the coilovers. Ive managed to come up with two things the kit could really do with.

1st. the first thing would be the rubber protectors on the shock. They don?t seem to be long enough for the travel. This means that when you hit a dip they are pushed up by the bump stop to the top. This reveals the lower part of the shock. They could do with being longer.

2nd. The second would be that they done come with the two nuts needed for the back of the shock where the LCA bolt goes through. They are cheap enough from a hardware store but would make sense to have them in the kit.

Hope this review has been useful for those interested in the product.

Ill be posting some video?s up on Sunday if the weather holds out.

Cheers.

Jerrick said there is 5 set of GD and 6 set of GC left

Just to let everyone know, i dont work for him and im not going to get comission. Im just letting people know about the deal.

You can contcat him by info@meisterR.com
Old 10 May 2010, 08:48 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

will these fit a 51 plate sti bugeye,if so will get some
Old 10 May 2010, 09:04 PM
Gsung1
Scooby Regular

yeah i think so... Email him Jerrick, he is really helpful!

Its a bloody bargain!!! so cant see it lasting long tbh
Old 11 May 2010, 12:29 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Let me know how you get on with them, as i might be interested.
Old 11 May 2010, 10:57 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

HSDs are HSDs. CS2 are HSD with DW expertise behind them.

Meisters WERE made by HSD, now they are made by BC - Bor Chaun Enterprises . Not because BC are better mind you, the change over wasn't Meister's decision.

Bor Chaun also make Megan Racing, and the Apex Gen I/II. These are the bottom end of BC's range but I doubt the build quality differs much.

D2 make K-Sport. Both D2 and K-Sport are ****.

Come to your own conclusion.

Last edited by Jord; 18-12-2009 at 13:18.

I found this on driftworks forum, if it helps anyone.
Old 13 May 2010, 05:40 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

The BC Racing BR/RM and ER Series coilovers are not the same as the Meister Rs, Megan Racing, Apex Gen1s etc. The Meister Rs are a lower spec coilover in comparison to the Apex Gen2s and the BC racing kits you guys have experience of.
Old 18 May 2010, 04:44 PM
Gsung1
Scooby Regular

it arrived the other day! im going to fit them on saturday! Ill post some pictures once ive done it.

Its got adjustable settings on the top mount... does anyone know any good settings which i should set them to please?

thanks in advance
Old 19 May 2010, 09:46 AM
longone1981
Scooby Regular

been in contact with the seller of these an considering getting a set just worried paing debit card as im not protected was your transaction ok?
Old 19 May 2010, 01:12 PM
Gsung1
Scooby Regular

i paid by debit card aswell... Go through the website if your worried.
Old 19 May 2010, 05:42 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

says at checkout
Special Clearance Offer: Product will carry 30 days warranty only.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:54 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

not very good that then as if its new it should have at least 12 months manufactures warranty ? should it not even if sold at knock down price.
Old 14 November 2010, 02:38 PM
burns277
Scooby Regular

has anyone fitted these yet?are they any good?
Old 27 March 2011, 01:30 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how these Meisters compare with BCs or other options?
Old 28 March 2011, 09:31 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I would be very surprised if they are better than BC's /apex.

dipster
Old 29 March 2011, 01:44 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mentioned this on another thread. When buying coilovers one of the most important factors is warranty and after sales service. A lot of the jap coilovers cusco etc cannot be serviced in europe so if they leak or need spares your effectively looking at having to replace them. This even happened to me with a set of Eibach coilovers which had one leaking rear strut, I could not get them repaired so ended up having to scrap them.

I had a set of BC, RM series, coilovers on my classic RA which is used in sprints and hillclimbs. I had them on the car for 14 months and could not fault them. I had superb after sales help when i wanted to change the spring rates and when I was looking for other technical info. They were a very effective set of coilovers for the money, I would say they are ideal for road and occaisional track day use. I have moved the car on spec wise and needed something more totally track focused but for the time I had them they were very good and were totally fault free. For the price of the BR and RM series BC and Apex units and the after sales service available you would need to spend significantly more to get better. Just my experience.
Old 29 March 2011, 01:47 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdavey
Anyone know how these Meisters compare with BCs or other options?
They cant be overly confident in their product if they give a 30 day warranty
Old 29 December 2011, 03:19 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

BTTT, anyone got experience of the Meister R coilovers? Zeta S or Zeta R variants.
Old 31 December 2011, 11:35 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Ive got the out going model on my classic, paid £450.00 delivered.

Top notch bit of equipment, ive had them set so they feel like standard suspension but the car is very low.

Only covered a few hundred miles so far but no complaints at this stage so would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Baker; 31 December 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03 January 2012, 01:46 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baker
Ive got the out going model on my classic, paid £450.00 delivered.

Top notch bit of equipment, ive had them set so they feel like standard suspension but the car is very low.

Only covered a few hundred miles so far but no complaints at this stage so would recommend them to anyone.
Are those the Zeta S model?
Old 03 January 2012, 05:35 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Cant remember now, my invoice states:

MeisterR DCS Zeta Coilovers - Subaru WRX (GC8)

Give the fella a call, his mobile is 07907 5273333

He seemed very helpful when I spoke to him and delivery was next day.

I was going to buy a second hand set of coilovers but after seeing these at a budget price I thought even if there not that great Ill still be able to get a good re-sale price on them. As said though im happy, no knocks or rattles and road noise isnt that different either.
Old 03 January 2012, 07:04 PM
jinkus
Scooby Regular

I have a Miester Rs on my P1 - upto now they have been very good - had BCs in the past and they are on par to be fair.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.5 KB
Name:  02-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.2 KB

Sean
Old 07 January 2012, 09:33 PM
Dasco
Scooby Regular

which ones do you have fitted

Originally Posted by jinkus
I have a Miester Rs on my P1 - upto now they have been very good - had BCs in the past and they are on par to be fair.

Sean
Old 17 March 2012, 09:26 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

I really want these on my car but dont seem to be able to find them for £429 anymore