Hawkeye sti boat like handling

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2010, 11:53 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye sti boat like handling

Morning all,

I have had a good gander on the forum but can't quite find what i am looking for, so if any of you fine gents / ladies could offer some insight it would be muchly appreciated.

Having had a few sti's (not stds) i have had failing struts on all of them. my current car is a 07 sti Hawkeye. When cornering medium to hard i am getting a lot of lean / roll. I remember similar with the previous sti's and this was better when the struts were replaced but still had a bit of roll. I had the frount struts replaced about two months ago and i am wondering if the rears have gone, although i am not hearing the usual knock as before..

The suspension set up is completely standard oem. But would like to know if the bc coilovers give more predictable handling, as apposed to boat like handling that makes you wonder during every corner, am i going to make it...

Also anyone else experiance the same sort of handling on oem suspension?

Cheers
Old 08 April 2010, 12:13 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look in my garage for ideas.

ARB upgrades will reduce the roll and solid droplinks rather than the jointed OEM links will reduce the roll and lateral feeling. I have in fairness done loads to mine to achieve the sort of feeback I get in my classic.
Old 08 April 2010, 01:07 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

I found dropping the ride height made a big difference
Old 08 April 2010, 03:01 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys, brownface how much did you drop her by? also any ideas on the bc coilovers improving the handling?
Old 08 April 2010, 05:43 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bc coilovers get a gd rite up and if u go into the group buy section theres a 10page thread on ppl buying them but also some feedback,

my hawkeye wrx was the same,till i fitted whitleine anti lift kit,front and rear arbs and front and rear droplinks and uprated diff bushes,im still on standard set up but what a difference it makes,stick to the road like ****,no more twitchy rear end unless i choose it go lol,the supension u[grade is my next port of call
Old 08 April 2010, 05:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by junior1910
the bc coilovers get a gd rite up and if u go into the group buy section theres a 10page thread on ppl buying them but also some feedback,

my hawkeye wrx was the same,till i fitted whitleine anti lift kit,front and rear arbs and front and rear droplinks and uprated diff bushes,im still on standard set up but what a difference it makes,stick to the road like ****,no more twitchy rear end unless i choose it go lol,the supension u[grade is my next port of call
Old 08 April 2010, 06:00 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I've got a Spec-c and find it quite boat like but then that is coming from a very tightly sprung (even with AST's) FD2 Civic, that was on RE070's which had rock hard sidewalls. My rear strut is knocking so I will be going coilover route to help reduce the lean into corners.
Old 12 April 2010, 05:21 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the AST set up at Litchfields be sorted then ,no knocking or rolling and lower
Old 04 May 2010, 04:20 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Dead quick update, subaru replaced both rear struts and she is handling better, more predictable.. all covered under warrenty woo!!
Old 11 May 2010, 01:03 PM
Gsung1
Scooby Regular

This was the first thing i noticed! It has so much lean round corners! Personally i expected better coming from a sti... but will be fitting coilovers soon so should solve the problem