Notices

What the hell is that noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 10:38 PM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What the hell is that noise?!

Hi guys, could really use some thoughts here! I originally posted this in the 'general' forum but have re-posted it here as it seems most likely to be a suspension issue (cheers for the thoughts GreatGonzo)...

My '05 plate WRX has started making a clanking / squeaking noise when going round left-hand bends. Sounds like it is coming from the left side of the car, towards the back, but obviously it's hard to be sure.

Round right-hand bends or going straight there is no hint of this sound at all, even over really bumpy roads. It's only when I've got a fair amount of left-hand lock on, and it's loudest when winding the lock off again and returning the wheel to the straight-ahead.

It doesn't do it when turning the wheel with the car parked, or at very low speeds.

My local garage is baffled, as they have tightened everything that they can under the car, found nothing loose, lubed all the moving parts, taken everything out of the boot, even made sure the rear seats are fitted properly, but nothing makes any difference. And I've just had brand new coilovers fitted which has made no difference at all, so it's not the dreaded dodgy Impreza shocks! Could it be the ARBs / drop links / bushes?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them before I go nuts!
Old 19 November 2009, 10:55 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Mine does exactly the same! Left rear sounds very 'light' i.e. not a heavy substantial part that's knocking?
Old 20 November 2009, 09:36 AM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

It's hard to tell from the sound, but it does sound more like a loose linkage or something, not a major part of the structure - certainly not a severe clanking noise as if a large component is about to fall off (I hope!).

Out of interest, do you have the original shocks and springs, or have you gone to coilovers too? And do you have the original ARBs / drop links / bushes? Just wondering if it could be one of those original bits on both our cars that is loose?
Old 20 November 2009, 08:04 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'm on Eibach ARBs, Powerflex alloy drop links and BC Coilovers. I think my exhaust may be close to some of the suspension so am looking at the uprated exhaust powerflex mounts. check the drop links as my left rear has a habit of working loose!
Old 20 November 2009, 08:33 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

check your exhaust mount rubbers too - grab hold of the end n give it a wiggle lol
Old 20 November 2009, 08:42 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARB/Droplinks/or exhaust IMO
Worst case could be a knocking shock
Old 21 November 2009, 09:54 PM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

I can't find anything wrong with the drop links / exhaust mounts / ARBs myself, but might drop it by Scoobyclinic and see what the guys think.

Oh, and I started to "give it a good wiggle" like scoobymad555 suggested, but my girlfriend told me to stop before I made Jesus cry.
Old 10 March 2010, 03:19 PM
RFSA180
Scooby Regular

Have you sorted this. A friend of mine has recomended SCR Racing - There Is No Time for such noises. Check them out. Apparently they are NEW! and they have youtube video documentaries on recent work on YouTube - scrracing1's Channel