Notices

Would you say this damper is leaking..?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2009, 06:15 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you say this damper is leaking..?

Seriously though, could this have been the cause of a big UNEXPECTED oversteer moment recently after driving through torrential rain, ie could this have got on the tyre tread..?
Old 06 October 2009, 06:25 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Looks like a leaking AST damper? Probably best to get it rebuild to the latest spec. I think they now run double pistons and revised bearings to deal with the side loading on the rear dampers.

A monotube damper that has cavitated does not work properly anymore. So the car could present some un-expected behaviour as the energy from the suspension is not controlled as the design intended.
Old 06 October 2009, 08:18 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ah, hadn't thought about the obvious mechanics of the damper not doing it's job and thus effecting handling..

Well spotted , yes they're AST, nearly 4 yrs old.

I've spoken to Curtis and the cars booked in for Thursday to have all 4 rebuilt.. IMO I might as well, to save the possibility of the fronts going anytime soon and having to pay to have the alignment done again, iyswim..?

Ah well another dip into the kids Christmas prezzy pot..
Old 07 October 2009, 06:10 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

4 years is good going for a coilover set, without rebuilds. You'll notice a big difference with fresh oil and clean shims :-). It's like having new dampers again.
Old 07 October 2009, 11:31 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Hopefully yes, that would be nice.. Suppose the deterioration sneaks up on you without notice. That and the fact that the wife drives it more than I do lol..
Old 08 October 2009, 06:37 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

All sorted, thanks to Curtis (AST UK)..

Went for a set of updated rear springs too..

Turns out the leaking damper had a 'mark' on the shaft, which is what likely caused the leak, so new shaft fitted too.

Got back late and being mainly mainly motorway haven't 'tested' things out yet, but initially feels better already..

Looks wise they've certainly scrubbed up well..

Lookout, thanks for the heads up..
Old 09 October 2009, 03:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it sorted.......... I just wish I had taken your tip and painted my AS Performance rear disks which are the same as yours. Mine look terrible because of the rust

Shaun
Old 10 October 2009, 09:19 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Ah Shaun, I wasn't sure they'd be too bad TBH, but as I had the time (and like to tinker..) I thought I'd paint them. The oe disc's had a black coating too, which lasted very well.

Try something like Krust..?

Hammerite Kurust 90ml from Halfords Price £4.69

It's what I was planning on doing had I not painted them and they then rusted. It should at least turn the surface a neater satin black/grey, it does work quite well and lasts from my experience of using it on rusty looking bolt heads etc..

Back to my refurbed AST's, had a bit of a drive last night, trying out various damper settings and the car does feel sharper, especially on turn in. The revised rear springs are very good too, they feel a lot 'smoother' over the bumps and completely quite without any compromise in performance. Anyone thinking of getting their AST's refurbed I'd certainly recommend having them at £35 each..

In fact, anyone with AST's that are getting a bit tired 3+ yrs old, I'd recommend having them refurbed. It's like having a new set of coilovers for ~£400 and when you consider that includes full alignment it's a bargain IMHO..

Oh and BTW, I've redone the underseal under the arches as I hadn't realised how patchy it had gotten until I looked at the above pics..

Last edited by jasonius; 10 October 2009 at 09:21 AM.