Regreasing rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 11:34 AM
Marcward989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Regreasing rear shocks

Hi guys

Been looking up on regreasing my rear shocks as i have the dreaded clunk. ive seen various posts about this and a couple about re packing the shock with fresh grease as this is the problem in the first place. BUT, i have just been down to my local motor factors for some advice on which grease etc to use and they have said under no terms should you take apart a shock absorber for "re greasing" or for any other thing. I found this strange as ive seen posts and picture guides on doing this. A garage owner was in at the time and said in his 57 years as a mechanic he had never heard of anythin as stupid.
Reason for not taking them apart is that they loose all the so called GAS in them and it ruins them.

Any information on this would be grateful as i really havent got money for a garage to replace shocks etc as ive been qouted 400 for this.

Cheers people
Old 29 July 2009, 05:34 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

hi, i have the same problem on a 03 sti, from what i understand you are only taking the gas cartridge out of the strut, so the gas stays in the cartridge. then you re-grease the top of the strut ,then put the cartridge back in the strut, i have no time to rebuild the struts, so every couple of months i jack the back up (wheels on) and lift the dust covers up and spray grease on the shiny part ,not great but it works just remember to clean before MOT time othewise they might say your shocks are leaking oil.
Old 29 July 2009, 08:19 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Used to strip the front struts andre-grease the bearing rack on a previous car. The bearings were in a carboard or similar holder so it was best not to let it dry out. I can appreciate that the knocking from the struts is due to wear between two moving parts so why not keep them greased to prevent it.
Old 29 July 2009, 09:47 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I would not bother, I regreased mine and the clunk came back after weeks. Once the wear has occurred ie. the clunk starts, the damage is done cos the top bush is worn out.

Ditch the lot and get some BC's, the KYB/Subaru design is flawed cos the top bush will always go dry and wear out, simple engineering really.

dipster
Old 29 July 2009, 09:49 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

BTW the struts are inverted and probably the mechanic has never seen such a thing on a road car.

dipster
Old 31 July 2009, 03:22 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

I have regreased my, I use Castrol 'red' grease, the sticky stuff designed for wheel bearings on boat trailers, you don't dismantle the damper, just remove it from the housing, I did mine twice (you can't 'fill' it properly in one go) the second time 6 months back and still clink free.

Simon