Notices

koni strut inserts won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2009, 03:30 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni strut inserts won't fit

I have purchased koni adjustable shock absorber rear inserts for a 55 plate impreza wrx hawkeye. I have cut the strut as instructed about 40mm from the top but the koni insert is way too big and won't slide inside the strut body. If you cut down another 10mm the insert will just about fit but then there is an inner collar about another 100m down which cannot be removed. The part number on the strut is 20361FE350 and it is stamped SUBARU BG26 gas filled. I have checked that the koni insert is the right part but is the subaru strut not a standard part?
Old 31 July 2009, 05:22 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The 05 on WRX has the later 'inverted' type strut AIUI (really thick rod sticking out the top) which it sounds like your descriging, the collars are the bearings for stock part to run in, I wouldn't expect the Koni insert to be compatable with these, only the earlier conventional dampers.

Best bet is to send the Koni's back and you'll be buying direct replacment dampers which will be the none inverted type.

I assume your dampers have seized or were starting to stick and 'clunk', well known faults with somehing that should never have made it into production as they are clearly not fit for purpose.

Simon
Old 01 August 2009, 12:16 AM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon, I have been trying to find this information all week! I rang KYB who make the subaru struts and they say they don't make aftermarket struts for the 2.5l imprezas. However the WRX struts they supply for the 2.0l model do look identical apart from the damper rod which as you say is thinner and the top of the rod has a 10mm collar below the thread which won't match up to the top mount. However, if I cut this strut as per KONI instructions will the inserts fit? regards Neil
Old 01 August 2009, 08:13 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Woh, lots of Q's!

You need struts for 03-05 which have the same top hat mounting as the 05-> however supplies on the aftermarket for 03 on REARS seem pretty thin on the ground!

Yes your inserts will fit 04 and earlier, what tophat mounting profile do the inserts have? I notice their website claims they do units for the later cars http://www.koni.com/254.html

Piston rod on 05 and later is THINNER, what sticks out the lower half is the cylinder outer, not the piston rod!

The later tophats will fit the pre03 strut tops badly, the only way to do it is nip them up, put on the car and with the vehicle weight on them torrque them up, otherwise they rattle, adaptors are available (from the US) for it.

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 01 August 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02 August 2009, 06:19 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon. I have done the inserts this weekend. Not too difficult as long as you have the tools and the right struts!
It seems incredible that Subaru dealers can't tell you what struts your car are fitted with. You have to order the part, have a look, then tell them you don't want to buy them!
It's also a mystery as to why the early WRX hawkeyes were fitted with
STI shocks, albeit faulty ones.
A big thanks to Chris at Subaru, Shelford who gave me a second-hand strut from the workshop F.O.C.
Finally, the KONI inserts are great although adjusting them is not easy as the adjuster is buried behind the rear seats.
Neil
Old 03 August 2009, 06:26 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

WRX don't have STi shocks, they are just the similar inverted style (damper carrier and bearings is probably the same) and all are prone to seizing/clunking, if the story got onto Wtachdog, Subaru would get slaughtered - not fit for purpose springs to mind!

Glad you have it sorted now though.....

For ref, how much did you pay for the inserts/where from?

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 03 August 2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03 August 2009, 09:06 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

I got the inserts from Larkspeed and the total incl. post and vat was £249 for the pair. They are very helpful and return phone calls/emails etc. There is a lot of useful info on NASIOC once you find your way around the forum section including a step by step guide to fitting koni shocks with colour photos.
Neil
Old 04 August 2009, 07:15 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Thanks...and I can get discount at LS as a mate used to date his daughter!

Simon