Notices

Whiteline ALK Disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2009, 04:30 PM
terzo98
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Whiteline ALK Disapointment

I have recently made some changes to my classic suspension having fitted a rear Whiteline 24mm ARB and alloy droplinks. I was very pleased with the result.

I next fitted the Whiteline ALK (KCA319A) and although I was pleased with the improvement to initial turn in. I have to say how disappointed I was with the increase in NVH. The car seemed to crash over road markings and uneven road surfaces were a nightmare. I put up with this for a month and then spent a couple of hours re-fitting the standard control arm bush and bracket. It just goes to show how every positive has a negative and how manufacturers have to compromise.

The car has standard wheels and suspension.

I am at a loss as to how some of you can stand the harsh rides you create with some of the modifications you make to your cars. Please, before you jump on this, I know it is about personal choice but I do not believe in this case the benefit of the ALK outweighs the negative affect on ride quality.
Old 18 February 2009, 05:18 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my classic I used the 'comfort' version of the Whiteline ALK, KCA361. Even the expansion joints on some of the concrete German motorways were fine.

On the STi7 I used an American copy but that was terrible for noise. I changed back to the Whiteline medium compound. That was slightly noisier on expansion joints than the Whiteline comfort version.

On reflection, I think that the Whiteline ALK comfort version is almost the same on NVH as the OE part
Old 18 February 2009, 05:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Ta for the input: suspension really is a bit of a black art and it is all about compromise.

Handling and ride comfort are very subjective things!

I have Coilovers on my car with the softest spring rate available and damper adjustment, which invariably set towards soft, and there is simply no way I'd go harder for road use. Some would disagree and say that something much stiffer is better.

I've been in some cars where the ride quality was simply horrendous and the owner seemed to be under the impression that this was the pay off for the car being quicker in the bends.... on a track, maybe, but on the road, no way; having a car too stiff will make you slower on the kind of roads most commonly found in the uk!

Ns04
Old 18 February 2009, 05:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I didn't notice any real change in NVH on mine !

dunx
Old 19 February 2009, 08:27 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

I've got the comfort version on mine, and it's no harsher than standard.