Notices

my 00 uk turbo arb size?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2009, 08:02 PM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 00 uk turbo arb size?

Hi all what are the std sizes of my uk turbo my00? having solid droplinks and a full alingment done at api on friday and wonderd if sti rollbars where bigger and would make any diffrence? or would it pay to save for uprated?
Old 03 February 2009, 05:33 PM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

Old 03 February 2009, 05:49 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grizz237
Hi all what are the std sizes of my uk turbo my00? having solid droplinks and a full alingment done at api on friday and wonderd if sti rollbars where bigger and would make any diffrence? or would it pay to save for uprated?
be carefull with rollbars,if you make the rear larger,say the normal upgrade 22mm whiteline item,it will make the car more precise with much less body roll,and understeer,but will make the rear much more oversteer friendly,fun sometimes,but be very carefull in the wet and grease,it can catch you out if you are not used to it.Id leave it alone and get uprated dampers and springs to minimalize roll,but retain the safer understeer nature of a uk turbo..
Old 03 February 2009, 06:16 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

hi m8 dont waste time and fitting sti bars they wont make much difference 1 or 2mm .you should fit 24mm rear adjustablebar and 22mm adj front bar, alloy drop links f+rear and anti lift kit before changing any struts and springs .
you need to sort out roll stiffness before upping spring rates and dampers .
the anti lift kit will alter the front end grip eliminating understeer ,the bars will alter the roll stiffness and allow the s/p dampers to do there work.
cheers geo
Old 03 February 2009, 07:05 PM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

thanx
Old 03 February 2009, 09:44 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cusco kid
hi m8 dont waste time and fitting sti bars they wont make much difference 1 or 2mm .you should fit 24mm rear adjustablebar and 22mm adj front bar, alloy drop links f+rear and anti lift kit before changing any struts and springs .
you need to sort out roll stiffness before upping spring rates and dampers .
the anti lift kit will alter the front end grip eliminating understeer ,the bars will alter the roll stiffness and allow the s/p dampers to do there work.
cheers geo
anti lift kit eliminating understeer the lift kit does just that,stops the front of the car lifting when applying power,to give you more traction when powering out of a corner,it does nothing to eliminate understeer,those thickness bars were put on that car for a reason,to give you warning you are approaching the cars grip limits.Unless you are a very tidy driver,i wouldnt want a handfull of op lock at high speed!
Old 03 February 2009, 10:15 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrew jeffs
anti lift kit eliminating understeer the lift kit does just that,stops the front of the car lifting when applying power,to give you more traction when powering out of a corner,it does nothing to eliminate understeer,those thickness bars were put on that car for a reason,to give you warning you are approaching the cars grip limits.Unless you are a very tidy driver,i wouldnt want a handfull of op lock at high speed!
hi m8 i have 38 years in the motor trade in which 25 years of scottish championship tarmac and forrest rallying.within that i have 28 years of building high performance cars rally,race .again within that 38 years i was a police fleet manager for 22 of those. i hold 2 police high performance certificates i think i know how a car works and what anti roll bars do and how an anti lift kit works,i fit them every week .within my family we have 4 classic, 1 hawkeye wrx and 1 08 sti hatch .i think i am fully qualified to express my opinion on how suspension works . cheers geo ps i dont think this sign is warranted
me in our left hand drive track car at knockhill which without an anti lift kit you wont go round the hairpin (massive understeer)

Last edited by cusco kid; 03 February 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03 February 2009, 11:08 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Sits back and waits for Andrew Jefs to respond to that one..............

Thought not.
Old 03 February 2009, 11:33 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Sits back and waits for Andrew Jefs to respond to that one..............

Thought not.
thought so!,looking at this guys profile,i would say he doesnt hold police driving certs etc etc etc,you may be right about your fabulous driving experience,but i would say this lad is a ordinary driver and doesnt fly round corners on the ROAD not the track,you seemed to completely ignore my comments about taking a car past whats safe for a standard driver,raising limits past what a average driver can handle,oh and the sign was just copying what was put for the original roll bar comment,which i thought also was unwarrented for someone asking people OPINIONS,or is this not aloud.Before i incure the odvious im right your wrong backlash,i know a lad who recently binned his my00 uk turbo into a wall the day he changed his rollbar,because he wasnt aware of how much more oversteer a 22mm whiteline bar will induce over his standard rear bar,whats more important,faster cornering or your LIFE
Old 04 February 2009, 01:37 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

nice to see you back george , not seen u on here for a while

jim
Old 04 February 2009, 07:30 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Hi Andrew,

The Whiteline ALK reduces the anti geometry in the front suspension, increases caster by at least 0.5 degrees and reduces caster loss during cornering significantly. This means that on an Impreza it WILL increase lateral grip during cornering as well as increase front traction.

Larger rear anti roll bars on an Impreza will increase front end lateral grip and traction during corners. It will change the balance of the car somewhat, depending on what setting the bar is on.
Old 04 February 2009, 07:46 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

thought so!,looking at this guys profile,i would say he doesnt hold police driving certs etc etc etc,you may be right about your fabulous driving experience,but i would say this lad is a ordinary driver and doesnt fly round corners on the ROAD not the track,you seemed to completely ignore my comments about taking a car past whats safe for a standard driver,raising limits past what a average driver can handle,oh and the sign was just copying what was put for the original roll bar comment,which i thought also was unwarrented for someone asking people OPINIONS,or is this not aloud.Before i incure the odvious im right your wrong backlash,i know a lad who recently binned his my00 uk turbo into a wall the day he changed his rollbar,because he wasnt aware of how much more oversteer a 22mm whiteline bar will induce over his standard rear bar,whats more important,faster cornering or your LIFE
Whiteline manuafcture different diameters of rear anti roll bars for the Impreza, allowing people to choose the correct one for their taste and use. In general, a 22mm rear anti roll bar will keep the car's behaviour benign, depending on other factors like tyres, dampers, springs etc.
If somebody decides to chuck their car into the scenery after fitting a suspension upgrade, it is more telling of the person than the suspension. When fitting a suspension upgrade, a responsible person would explore the different handling and grip gradually, so that he/she can get used to the differences.

So if you think an anti roll bar upgrade, that thousands of Impreza owners use without adverse effects, is unacceptably dangerous because somebody had an accident with one fitted, you should probably stay at home and don't cross the streets as you might well get run over by a bus. Very dangerous, you know :-)
Old 04 February 2009, 07:52 AM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

Thanx guys ill see how it handles when david at api has done his magic at the min it is well bad as i have changed the suspension to that off a low millage 1997 type r and this had stiffend it up and lowerd it lower than the myoo set up so been driving around with the alignment all over the place
Old 04 February 2009, 08:21 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Hi Grizz,

Sorry for hyjacking your thread.

Personally, I like the type R set up. It will make the car a lot more positive, without losing too much compliance.

Have fun
Old 04 February 2009, 10:02 AM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

I like the feel and ride already
Old 04 February 2009, 10:07 AM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lookout
Whiteline manuafcture different diameters of rear anti roll bars for the Impreza, allowing people to choose the correct one for their taste and use. In general, a 22mm rear anti roll bar will keep the car's behaviour benign, depending on other factors like tyres, dampers, springs etc.
If somebody decides to chuck their car into the scenery after fitting a suspension upgrade, it is more telling of the person than the suspension. When fitting a suspension upgrade, a responsible person would explore the different handling and grip gradually, so that he/she can get used to the differences.

So if you think an anti roll bar upgrade, that thousands of Impreza owners use without adverse effects, is unacceptably dangerous because somebody had an accident with one fitted, you should probably stay at home and don't cross the streets as you might well get run over by a bus. Very dangerous, you know :-)
what a funny guy you are.I work for a major insurance company,assessing insurance claims.One of the main reasons that a lot of companys will not insure imprezas now is the claim rate of this vehicle.I see a lot of imprezas in various scrap yards,with guess what,roll bar modifications.It seems people change the rear first as budget allows without realising the effect of it to the cars balance.I have read people statements about accident cause and all to often the words`its never done that before` comes up.So please stop trying to be clever,its not just the ODD ONE.Not everyone has the ability to catch a sudden oversteer moment,again it appears many people `freeze` when a unexpected slide occurs with odvious consiquences.tell you what, you want to look at some of these imprezas and the huge damage even a 30mph impact can cause,then maybe you would keep your smart comments to yourself.If the impreza needed thicker rollbars,then why were they not fitted as standard,the p1 and wr sport rb5 used standard thickness bars and are widely regarded as the best neutral handling imprezas of all time,please correct me if im wrong,but no more clever comments please,the original poster asked a question and this has sidetracked it somewhat..
Old 04 February 2009, 12:54 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

you don`t know geo then as he is all as said above and then some this guy is a true natural driver,

he holds the certs and prob wrote most of the TP drivers course my dad was actually his top Student the year he done his TPO course at Tulliallen with George so you got no right to question him he is also Whiteline uk`s right hand man when it comes to development of setups on imprezas so clearly knows what hes talking about. Take it Greig xx
Old 04 February 2009, 01:53 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

anti lift kit eliminating understeer the lift kit does just that,stops the front of the car lifting when applying power,to give you more traction when powering out of a corner,it does nothing to eliminate understeer,
Achtung jerk alert - please don't comment on technical threads about something on which you clearly have no technical knowledge - its just so embarrasing.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles...WL%20ALK_b.pdf

Read it and weep - spreading this bunkum myth is unhelpful, the more knowlegable on here have to keep refuting this kneejerk responce to teh name and it gets boring to here people keep repeating it!

Of course the GB270 had an uprated rear bar as well........

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 04 February 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04 February 2009, 02:28 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Now thats a top post well done Rookie

as for what to go for listen to Cusco Kid he knows what he is talking about from before i was born he could prob even supply at the best rates going pm him for a price has done me proud several times over the years of scooby ownership Greig
Old 04 February 2009, 04:23 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Achtung jerk alert - please don't comment on technical threads about something on which you clearly have no technical knowledge - its just so embarrasing.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles...WL%20ALK_b.pdf

Read it and weep - spreading this bunkum myth is unhelpful, the more knowlegable on here have to keep refuting this kneejerk responce to teh name and it gets boring to here people keep repeating it!

Of course the GB270 had an uprated rear bar as well........

Simon
you didnt read any of the other parts of the thread then,does a thicker rear bar cause more oversteer than standard or not.I told you who i work for,and ive seen the reports and wrecked imprezas in the scrapyards,im just trying to get across that when you alter the balance of a vehicle it can catch out the average driver.If you think im wrong then put your points across,dont result to cheap insults,hey ive been corrected about the lift kit,no problem,but how about some sensible comments about changing the imprezas natural understeer tendencys.And the other comment about why the hottest of the classic imprezas came with standard bars,why didnt prodrive add thicker bars to these vehicles,surely if anyone knows about handling its them.Please dont jump down my throat again,it would be helpfull in my job,to know knowledgable answers,ok..
Old 05 February 2009, 07:44 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

you didnt read any of the other parts of the thread then,does a thicker rear bar cause more oversteer than standard or not.I told you who i work for,and ive seen the reports and wrecked imprezas in the scrapyards,im just trying to get across that when you alter the balance of a vehicle it can catch out the average driver.If you think im wrong then put your points across,dont result to cheap insults,hey ive been corrected about the lift kit,no problem,but how about some sensible comments about changing the imprezas natural understeer tendencys.And the other comment about why the hottest of the classic imprezas came with standard bars,why didnt prodrive add thicker bars to these vehicles,surely if anyone knows about handling its them.Please dont jump down my throat again,it would be helpfull in my job,to know knowledgable answers,ok..
As a matter of fact, the few Imprezas that I have inspected, as a result of my job as an accident investigator, have been frontal damage as a result of the driver losing control. This would indicate understeer.

A 22mm rear ARB will only reduce the inherent chassis understeer characteristics. It will not produce an inherently oversteer biased vehicle. With a 22mm rear arb fitted, the vehicle will still understeer in tight corners if entered too fast. In high speed corners it can REDUCE roll-oversteer. The fact remains that oversteer can be induced by the driver a bit easier in some situations but not in the amount that is standard available in many other standard cars like BMW E36/46, Mercedes C Class, Renault Megane (FWD) etc. etc.

Other modifications that can have an effect on the handling balance of the car are spring and damper rates. I have driven quite a few Imprezas with a lot of low speed bump rear damping and a lot of low/medium speed rebound rear damping that create wash-out oversteer in high speed corners.

I take it that you haven't driven an otherwise standard UK Impreza with uprated rear ARB very much, otherwise you wouldn't come up with these specific technical opinions that are incorrect. So, in my opinion, your comments are based on half truths and a small amount of technical knowledge, therefore inappropriate.

Lastly, as far as I am aware, a lot of Prodrive Imprezas did change the handling balance, some with changed spring and damper rates, some with changed ARB rates and with both.
Old 05 February 2009, 08:25 AM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

so what is my roll bar size :

i take it they all the same size?

thanx for all the great tips
Old 05 February 2009, 09:40 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Hi Grizz,

Unfortunately, they are not all the same size. I have seen anything between 17mm to 21mm as well as slightly different lengths on Imprezas. Probably easiest to have a look underneath your car and measure the diameter.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:35 AM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

be carefull with rollbars,if you make the rear larger,say the normal upgrade 22mm whiteline item,it will make the car more precise with much less body roll,and understeer,but will make the rear much more oversteer friendly,fun sometimes,but be very carefull in the wet and grease,it can catch you out if you are not used to it.Id leave it alone and get uprated dampers and springs to minimalize roll,but retain the safer understeer nature of a uk turbo..
Hi Andrew, What settings did you have your bars set to?
I have put my front on soft and rear in the middle, I only had them on for a day or two before it started to snow and found a great improvement to handling. I will be trying other settings when it drys up to see what difference it makes but I would be interested to see what your set up was and did you have the ALK fitted aswell. I wanted to keep dampers and springs as soft as possible as I use my car everyday and didn't want to make the ride hard.
Thanks,
Old 05 February 2009, 11:28 AM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

thanx bud there a set of 21mm ones fron a v5 sti in the for sale would this help over uk ones?
Old 05 February 2009, 11:39 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

i think your rear is 19mm mate
Old 05 February 2009, 12:10 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe they are both 19mm standard

For what its worth I've run an adjustable 22mm Whiteline rear ARB and uprated front ARB bushes...much nicer to drive imho; easier to get the power down, less body movement and predictable gentle over steer. I then fitted a 22mm Whiteline front ARB which made the car understeered again but reduced body movment further. I've now fitted a 24mm rear Whiteline and its reduced body roll and under steer so back to a similar but tighter set up to just upgrading the rear.

In your position I'd just go for an adjustable rear 22mm ARB and uprated front ARB bushes...then you have three setting for that ARB and you haven't spent a fourtune
Old 05 February 2009, 01:12 PM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

thanx all hope the snow clears so i can get to api
Old 05 February 2009, 01:30 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

thanx bud there a set of 21mm ones fron a v5 sti in the for sale would this help over uk ones?
If your car runs smaller than 21mm, it would make the car nicer to drive, providing you have decent tyres that can produce the grip that the chassis makes.

Personally, I would spend a little bit more and get Whiteline adjustable ones as that allows you to get a balance that suits your driving style.
Old 05 February 2009, 03:34 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

you didnt read any of the other parts of the thread then,
Stop wriggling, the other parts of your post were irrelevant to the fact you fell straight into the trap of ALK=anti front lift kit, so be a man and own up, we all live and learn.

EVERY impreza I've ever scavanged in breakers (that has been written off solo) has been front ended due to understeer, it pays to remember that back in 1993 the Impreza turbo was beaten in Autocars best handling car test by a Mondeo due to its chronic understeer.

Subaru list the rear bar as 17mm to end of 96MY and 20mm for then onwards including yours, from experience thses sizes are a bit 'nominal' so 20 might actually be 19mm when measured!

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 05 February 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: my 00 uk turbo arb size?