Notices

Picture of Rear Anti Roll Bar Bushes - are they correct?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2008, 05:37 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picture of Rear Anti Roll Bar Bushes - are they correct?

So i've just found what i consider a bargain on E-bay for a set of Eibach front and rear 24mm ARB's. Agreed i'd maybe have chosen whiteline but £150 for both including bushes is hard to argue with!

Anyway to the point.... I've gone to fit the rear bar today (with whiteline allot drop links naturally) and on inspection it looks as if the bushes supplied are different than those already fitted!?

My car appears to have these style with a lip on the edge....

The ones supplied have no lip and look like this:

I know a huge number of people have fitted ARB's so i was wondering if this is normal and if it will work? Seems to me as though they will slip sideways if not careful under continued load.

For reference its a 2003 blob eyed WRX. C shaped links rear, spherical links up front etc (not that it has squat to do with the bushes!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18 December 2008, 07:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loads

You are right they are different, but there SHOULD be very little sideways loading on the bushes.
IF you do experience some movement, a couple of jubilee clips on the "inside" of the bar should suffice...

HTH

dunx
Old 19 December 2008, 02:24 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for that... fitted it today and it all seems pretty solid.

What a modification too!! .... All the rave reviews about ARB's don't lie do they! Stuck it into a roundabout for the first time and grinned all the way.... then went round it about 20 times to find the breaking point - loving the new found oversteer!

Front one is next - Is it true you need to remove the lower subframe to get the front one out? Yet to really scope it out but Whiteline seem to suggest it on their instructions. I take it the front is a bigger job than the rear?
Old 19 December 2008, 07:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you can hold on get the ALK ( that's not really an ALK....) and do both together. Or you have to take it all off again. IIRC It is a slightly bigger job, but not TOO bad.

Best value mod on my car is the rear ARB !

dunx

P.S. The front bar will calm the oversteer a little as it increases the front end grip, unless VERY slippery.
Old 20 December 2008, 11:34 AM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah the ALK was next on the list but buying all these christmas presents seems to get in the way and no one in the family seems to think suspension for a car is an 'appropriate' gift lmao.... the buggers.

Think i'll hold out and live with the fun oversteer until next month when i can get that kit too.

Oil change, ARB, ALK and spherical droplinks in a day should be doable.

So either way that whole subframe has to come off then? What is it holding on anyway.... not gonna get a gearbox in the chest am I?!
Old 20 December 2008, 03:21 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the Classic but on my bug I did the front ARB and got 9/10s of the way through it without removing the front crash bar (it's not the subframe on an 02 - in fact the Spec C doesn't have one). However I could not get the the car high enough to rotate the bar clear of the ground so I could remove it!
Lots of bolts but not a problem with a decent size breaker bar!
Old 21 December 2008, 05:57 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Well today I put the front ARB on... as everyone suggests its not a 5 minute job but no major heartache (might just buy a compressor and air ratchet before doing the Anti Lift Kit!).

Tip to those who are struggling on the driveway.... bricks! Drove onto a few of them so each wheel was balanced on about 3 bricks. Meant the suspension was level and I could get under there with little difficulty.

Car now feels a lot more stable overall with both rear and front fitted and by gum its like a go-kart!! Constant 30mph round a very tight little roundabout without braking a sweat! Best £150 i've ever spent on any car without doubt!

Next step... Silver and Black STi Steering wheel and airbag that i bagged for £105 on e-bay.... which imo is a jeffing bargain!.... any pointers on fitting that will be greatly appreciated!

Oh and thanks for reminding me BlueBugEye that i need to change my car profile on here as i'm an 03 blob eye man now (not that anyone seems to want to buy my 2000 AWD Turbo wagon!).