spec c suspension queries please post pics and reveiws

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2008, 12:40 PM
utaka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spec c suspension queries please post pics and reveiws

hi
i have recently bought an 06 sti spec c. i love the car but i do feel the suspension on an ra-r is superior is far superior having driven both cars. now my question is at the moment the car is in standard trim(one of a very small number left un adulterated) would a good option be (to keep it as standard as poss) to purchase all the pink ra-r suspension parts inc. the pink sti lowering springs dont know if the pink shocks are any differenet to the currenent spec c shocks. i also noticed the sti roll bars are only 22 mm so would it be better to use whiteline 30mm ones instead. if sti have deemed their parts good enough for a 32k ra-r then are they not the most sensible parts to use. the car has done hardly any miles and is litteraly concours condition so evreything is pretty much new. dont want to discard new parts especially if they are capable of the job. why dont many people use the sti parts as upgrades
thanks for looking

Last edited by utaka; 18 December 2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 18 December 2008, 01:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pink sti stuff is expensive, which is why no one buys it when you can get just as good for less money, though reading this article here may give you some insight to where you want to go, but the standard suspension is pretty good just a little bouncy on uneven roads

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...roduction.html

Tony
Old 18 December 2008, 01:42 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would either keep standard spec c suspension,
Or if your not happy with it, then go for a good adjustable coilover setup e.g KW Variant 3 or Tein etc which will be cheaper & better than RAR pink Sti shocks & springs
I would go for a Whiteline rear 24mm adjustable ARB & a Whiteline front 22mm adjustable ARB.
Also change brake pads to Perfromance Friction or Endless SS
Old 18 December 2008, 03:21 PM
utaka
Scooby Regular

cheers guys gives me a little insight. i was just about to get on the phone to litchfield to ask whether its worth going for a type 25 handling kit from the guys opposite. I just want the ability to go to time attack days and handling courses but not obscene on the road. while i think of it like i said the car is totally standard and i think its quick enough but i find the boost drops off a bit at the higher revs what mapping would be best for this. at what stage does the tuning go to far for both road and track use. i just want it to handle ridiculously well and stop(new pads and disks) equally as well, add a little tourque and tidy up the boost curve. if someone can answer this ill be very grateful
Old 18 December 2008, 05:06 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AST type 25 is a great bit of kit but whats even better is that Powerstation know how to set it up perfectly. So IMO even if e.g KW Variant 3 may be better than the AST Type1 coilovers, Powerstation do such a good package/setup/support with the Type 25 that it doesnt matter. You could even push the boat out & get the AST Type2 from Powerstation.

The VF36 turbo's boost will taper off at the top end due to design & size of the twin scroll turbo. Mapping will definetley help this along with a 3 port boost solenoid & an uprated actuator will allow the turbo to hold boost better at top end.

As far as tunning is concerned do a search & you'l see webmaster/Shaun's project SpecC, as well as a few others such a Gussy/ Scooby TC/Bob Rawle/ & others cars. The VF36 turbo will max out at approx 380bhp ish & if you decide to go for a bigger turbo the engine on std internals is probably only safe upto 390bhp ish. So the most cost effective route is Exhaust system with cats sorted/air filter/3port solenoid/uprated actuator/Remap/ for approx 360 to 370bhp. Next step is a costly jump = Bigger turbo/Injectors/fuel pump = uprated engine internals for over 400 bhp & then you may need to look at uprating brakes & clutch.

Last edited by rickya; 18 December 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 18 December 2008, 06:47 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing with my Spec C, it felt like it hit a brick wall after 6k when standard. Remap and mods soon sorted all of that out.