Sticky Shocks - Cure for WRX

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2008, 03:19 PM
J1PPL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Shocks - Cure for WRX

Hi,
I own a 2004 WRX which is completely standard. The rear shocks had the dreaded 'sticky shock' problem and was driving me mad - the usual creaks, groans and the car settling 'into an imaginary hole' were all present. The knocking got the stage where I loathed having passengers in the car because it was so embarrassing!!

I thought the struts themselves were shot so rang around for prices for new rears. I was quoted £284.00 (Konis) and £288 for standards (!) then fitting obviously. A few garages said they would have to get both struts and top mounts in just in case it was both these causing the problem

I decided to scrap this idea and try greasing the struts themselves to see if this would cure the problem - I know a lot of people on here have a similar problem and seems to be an inherent design fault.

I went to Halfords and bought some grease (£6.99) then jacked up the car at the back. You can then see the struct - lift the plasting dust cover as high as you can and then with a brush or something similar grease it at the bottom and some on the actual strut (if you can - space is an issue).

Job done - shouldnt be any more knocking - its completey disappeared on mine and although its probably a short-term fix I am happy with the results.
Old 18 December 2008, 09:50 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need new, it pays to shop around, BPB or camskill are usually the cheapest in my experience.

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.u...p?recordID=235

Simon