Notices

WRX Bugeye Wagon - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 09:55 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX Bugeye Wagon - advice needed please

I need to replace the old knackered coil overs on my 2001 WRX Wagon but need some definitive answers before I start buying - hope some of the experts on here can help.
I won't be doing track days and don't want extreme handling (usually got kids and bikes in the back) but like the slighly lowered look I have just now. Oh, and I'm on a tight budget so be going down the used route.
1. Which standard wagon struts and springs will fit my car? (classic etc)
2. I understand the only difference between wagon and saloon struts and springs is the length of rear spring.
3. I am thinking of buying standard struts and springs and then fitting some lowering springs - are lowering springs for wagon and saloon the same?

Thanks
Old 10 September 2008, 07:43 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Obviously a tough one as I've asked before and elsewhere - lot of views but no response. Just don't wan't to buy the wrong bits.
Any suppliers out there with application knowledge? OK - I'm not buying new or spending fortunes on the latest trick gear - but I may one day.
Old 10 September 2008, 10:06 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Not sure what coilovers you have but they maybe able to be refurbished but you will need to check with the manufacture.

The alternative could be some shocks and lowering springs, first site that gave any info on springs was PI and they claim to fit estates details here RRP - If you are looking for an PI Spring Kit Subaru Impreza (Including Wrx) (Including Estate) (Rear Spring Parallel) GD/GG/GGS 2001-2003 Lowers 30mm (89-020) click here PI

I would check to see what other people have and their experiences also if the shocks on a wagon are different to the salon models (maybe ask Subaru parts dept). You may need to see if your budget can meet some new shocks as used unknown shocks could give a poor ride, due to age and usage.
Old 10 September 2008, 10:22 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. The existing coil overs are Apex - I have been in touch and they are old discontinued units so no spares or refurb.
I know for sure that front and rear shocks are the same for saloon and wagon but been told that standard rear springs on wagon are longer. However, with lowering springs I think it does not make a difference so saloon and wagon are the same.
I see a lot of struts for sale from relatively low mileage Classics so will take a chance on shocker condition for now - just need to know if Classics will interchange with my Bug Eye -will try my local friendly dealer as you suggest.
cheers
Old 11 September 2008, 03:43 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

I think you are worng about the rear springs for wagon and saloon. A wagon definitely squats at the back with Eibachs (for example). It was only when I went to coilovers could I make it look normal again.
Old 11 September 2008, 03:51 PM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Do you mean you think that standard rear springs are same length for saloon and wagon?
Problem is, I have nothing to compare as it has coil overs on just now.
I am planning to bid on some struts from a saloon over the weekend and then fit lowering springs - Apex or some similarly priced make.
Old 12 September 2008, 09:23 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Std rear springs are about 15mm longer on the wagon than the saloon - dunno why they just are. I dare say companies make different kits for the two but there weren't any about when I bought mine in '03.
Old 12 September 2008, 09:33 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Theresa - that is a great help.
Old 14 September 2008, 06:03 PM
ogo
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate, got the same problem. I am afraid to buy something that may make the car unusable. Subaru do a "sports" spring/strut kit. £699 but you could try to get a trade discount. Let me know what you do.
Old 15 September 2008, 08:33 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Dropped suspension down from under front wings this weekend to have a look see (could not undo main shocker bolt in middle though) and squirted some WD40 all round top mounts to see what would happen. Ride is much quiter and knocking all but gone ( for now) Still got issue of some excessive play and weeping shockers although front tyre wear perfectly even.
Bought some used (65k miles) WRX struts and spring this weekend for under £80 and will buy lowering springs. Should hopefully give a quiter more comfortable ride but still look nice and low. Will get 4 wheel alignment done afterwards.