Tramlines but no trams!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 10:49 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi,
This is my first time on Scooby net and you guys seem to know your stuff so here goes.
I have recently traded my P1 in for a MY01, 5 door Wrx, don't ask me why im beginning to wonder myself! Anyway the car has 18inch P1 oz alloys, 225/40 P Zero tyres and prodrive springs. The problem is that it tramlines all over the place at low speeds to the point where it becomes quite difficult to drive. High speed handling is spot on but the tramlining is really annoying.
Any ideas anyone?
Old 06 February 2002, 11:54 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice Dave a will give TSL a call.

are you running on 18's as well as i have been told that may also be the problem.

Cheers

Old 07 February 2002, 06:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ali

I run 18" Prodrive OZ's fitted with PZeros on an MY01 WRX. I also have Eibachs, recently fitted and geometry setup by Powerstation. I'm pretty confident that Powerstation set the car up correctly as the handling is vastly improved. The thing we share in common are the PZero tyres. Sally my girlfriend (aka Scoobychick on this BBS) was complaining today that the car had started to tramline on a couple of occasions.

My tyres have done 6000 miles and this seems to fit in with other peoples experiences. The PZero is not the most widely rated tyre on the board (not sure why Prodrive continue to push them to be honest) - OK in the dry, not so great in the wet. Personally I will be swapping to Toyo's as soon as these tyres have worn out.

I think a lot of your tramlining problems will be down to the tyres.

Cheers
Chris
Old 08 February 2002, 01:28 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Toyo's unbelievable in the wet!

MB
Old 08 February 2002, 01:30 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think Prodrive push the Pirelli's as they're tied in through the WRC connection.
Old 08 February 2002, 03:03 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Diffcult to say. Theoretically tires should have a limited influence on tramlines. The element that influences most tramlines is the camber. The more negative camber /--\ the more effect of inperfections of the road will be transmitted to the steering. However race settings tend to favour higher degrees of negative camber. Therefore the trade off is between performance and steering composure.

Caronte
Old 08 February 2002, 03:32 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

True Caronte - but ask anyone who used to drive an 'old' Scoob on the standard 16" wheels and Brigdestone REO10s tyres. I did and the tramlining was horrible. Changing to SO2PPs on 17" wheels transformed the car. I also ran Toyo's on my previous car and never had a problem. It just seems too much of a coincidence to me...

Anyone else had bad experiences with the PZero's?

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2002, 03:50 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

I see. I don't know, I used extensively P-zero (yellow) on my Williams because on the dry were like semi slick but also because they had the harder shoulder you could find on the market. Probably it's the shoulder itself that makes behave like tramlines.
Old 08 February 2002, 06:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good point Caronte - maybe this is the cause??

Matt - I know what you mean mate - it seems to me that with 6000 miles on these tyres that perhaps they are now past their absolute best and it is all downhill until they wear out?

I will be keeping an eye on them with a view to moving to Toyo's as soon as I can justify it to my bank balance!

Chris
Old 11 February 2002, 01:44 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments everyone i agree that it sounds a bit too much of a conincedence to not be the tyres. When i first got the car it had Avon ZZ1's on it and it was awful. Took the car back to the dealers and after one of the service guy's span it on a low speed bend they agreed there must be a problem and swopped the tyres for the P-zeros. Maybe i will pay them a visit and get them to take back the P-Zeros and swop them for Toyo's.
Never had any problems with P-zeros on my P1 though, very strange.
Anyone know where in Nottingham i can purchase Toyo's?
Thanks
Ali
Old 11 February 2002, 02:20 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't know about Nottingham but Tyres Northampton seem to offer good deals for Scoob owners....even better if you're a member of the SIDC....

Matt
Old 11 February 2002, 02:37 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Ali,

You can get them through TSL (see one of numerous banner ads )
Old 02 April 2002, 10:00 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Get the geometry checked/setup.

My car was doing this and I thought it was just that the tyres were worn. But while I was getting some disks and pads (only wanted pads but you know how it goes) from Graham at TSL I mentioned the tramline problem. So he said to get the geometry set to:

As much negative camber on the front

Toe in 0.7-0.8 front and 0.2 rear

Oh and run slightly lower tyre pressures on the rears.

WOW what a difference. Braking hard and the car just keeps its line on bumpy roads, faster round corners, turns in better. Best mod I've done for ages. Thanks again Graham...

I'd check with TSL that those settings are OK for your car though as mine is a MY99.

Forgot to say. I see your in Nottingham, guess what....So are TSL, get yourself down there, have a chat and get the geometry setup at the same time.

DaveW

[Edited by DaveW - 2/4/2002 11:02:30 PM]
Old 02 August 2002, 04:15 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I REALLY don't like PZeros and wish I had never had anything to do with them but we live and learn......

I have since driven Scoobs with very similar set ups with SO2s and Toyo Proxies and I can't believe how much better they are!!!!!

The SO2's have the edge (IMHO) over the Proxies but are less progressive so all in all (including the premium you pay on the SO2s), and the gulf gets much larger in the wet where the PZeros (IMHO ) are pittiful.

I will be replacing my PZeros with Toyos.

Matt [/b]

[Edited by mutant_matt - 2/8/2002 4:15:48 PM]