Tramlining on 16" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2003, 01:00 PM
pinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi

I've have just bought some 16" 5 spoke alloys with part worn Goodyear F1's on (cheers Dean) to replace the 15" wheels on my wifes 97 sport.

The car looks loads better, but unfortunately it wanders quite alarmingly all over the road - mainly tramlining, but I think there's alittle bumpsteer as well. Quite un-nerving for the missus.

I've been using the search to look for info on tramlining, F1s and bumpsteer and there are loads of threads. I've looked at as many threads as I can (between working ) and it appears that F1's are rated very highly by other members of the the board, mild tramlining is expected and has to be lived with, and bumpsteer can be fixed with Eibach (sp?) springs and a steering rack mod.

So, my questions are (bearing in mind we're on tyres worn to a different cars geometry)
- has anyone else suffered extreme tramlining problems with F1?
- if yes, how was it resolved (if at all)?
- will the tramling ease as the tyres wear?
- will a full geometry check help? (without any other mods)
- is my best best the spring kit (and bumpsteer mod if required)?

I'm trying to improve the car in stages (to spread the cost mainly), but we've taken abit of a step backwards here so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Neil
Old 17 February 2003, 07:11 PM
jhd
Scooby Regular

pinger

can only offer limited experience - got a uk my00. had really bad tramlining with the oem tyres and was considering most of the options you mention. decided to change front tyres ( actually used michelins so maybe not relevant to your F1s ) but tramlining disappeared completely. from what i've heard - its normally tyres that fix tramlining. hope this helps

jhd
Old 17 February 2003, 11:17 PM
Slocs
Scooby Newbie

2 weeks ago I put MY00 16's with Falken Ziex 205/50's on my '97 RX (the Aussie equivalent of the sport) and had exactly the same problem. A quick trip down to get an alignment done and now feels superb.

Cheers

Slocs