Notices

Question from a mechanical dummy....

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2002, 11:32 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm planning to get Eibachs fitted along with the geom being sorted etc (UK300), reading through the threads a lot of you mention the bump steer mod. My question is: What is this and what does it involve?

Seems it's worth doing from what people have said, however I'd rather understand why I am doing something and what benefit it will give me, before I ask someone to do it!

I guess it will stop the car taking odd directions on rough roads (where I live there are many) but I don't understand how.

Thanks for any explanations and sorry of this has been asked before and I've missed it (and I appear dim, I'm not honest)!

Old 01 February 2002, 12:33 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

As suspension compresses/expands (as you go over bumps, or brake heavily), the toe angle changes - or you get bump-steer. I *think* this is engineered in by Subaru to make the car a bit more docile.

Removing it is a good thing (apparently) - but be aware that it may not be to your taste....

I've not done it, being in Switzerland has it's downsides! I believe the steering rack is shimmed to alter pivot point.

Richard
Old 01 February 2002, 06:37 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Dowser's right, but it's not just going over bumps, it applies when cornering. As the car rolls, it loads up and compresses the outside suspension.

Manufacturers can dial in the characteristics so that the toe angle changes as the suspension moves through it's travel, typically to make the car understeer more as you corner harder - to make it 'safer' for the average driver e.g. discourage you from going too fast.

That's my understanding, anyone feel free to correct me or tell me I'm talking b@llocks....

Look at the setup guide here for more info:

http://www.drivingtechniques.co.uk

Cheers
Tim

Edited 'cos according to the above URL I'm not talking b@llocks (for once).

[Edited by NBW - 2/1/2002 6:42:16 PM]

[Edited by NBW - 2/3/2002 8:36:22 PM]
Old 11 February 2002, 03:07 PM
robdwat
Scooby Newbie

Can i ask why you are changing the suspention?
I ask as the other day when i braked hard from speed the back end of my UK300 started to step out luckly i was only testing the brakes and not using them in an emergency.
If anybody else has suffered with this i'd like to know.

Cheers

Rob
Old 11 February 2002, 03:12 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to stiffen it up and lower it a bit. You have to admit they sit a bit high. Never had the back end go funky under heavy braking though?