Notices

Just had the AST top flight struts reset for road use....

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2008, 06:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just had the AST top flight struts reset for road use....

and what a difference it has made to the ride on road.

Spent a day with Curtis at PowerStation the other week, getting my AST remote canister shocks stripped, rebuilt, revalved and re-sprung!

Anyone that has been following certain posts I have made recently regarding the Spec C, will have realised it was up for sale as I wanted to get in to a car that was more compliant for road use. After smelling the coffee I decided to turn the car back to standard interior wise and suspension ride and take it from there.

First off the insertion of the standard interior transformed the car and then the suspension changes transformed it again.

Adjusting the spring rates and revalving the shocks has really bought back the compliance.

I was up at PS again on Saturday and had some minor fettling done to the front ride height and strut settings.

Having a set-up that doesnt knock my teeth out is great..... but of course it will have a downside for track use, but since the car will spend 90% of it;s time on the road now, it is what was needed.

As ever, big thanks to Curtis for settings it all up and for looking at trying different things as regards to the revalving.

It's amazing how much more I can use the mega power, more of the time, whilst still have a more compliant ride on road. Even if once you understand the dynamics, it all makes perfect sense.

At least now I know I don't have to keep counting my teeth for losses.

The only negative is I still have the solid top mounts, but I can live with the slightly knocking I get from these.
Old 21 April 2008, 10:42 PM
Scooby Regular

So true!
Suppleness is a great quality in the Impreza, and too easy to remove it.
Are you using 50/40's on the car?
Old 22 April 2008, 08:19 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Nope... 50/30's with a different gas content (less) than normally used. For road use it is streets ahead of what is was before....... I suspect track use will be a different story, as I am not doing anything really with the car this year apart from ScoobyLive and TOTB (which are both tight circuits, so the softness is better here), event wise, it's not really a major problem.

On road, it is amazing how much power you can't use when you have a track set-up. With over 500bhp, that has meant a lot of potential lost for normal driving....... well, in the hands of someone other than me that is!
Old 22 April 2008, 05:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Interesting.
Whiteline Austrailia years ago told me they had found (on a classisc) a golden rule on rates, the rears should be 80% of the fronts, hence 50/40.

When I tried 60/50 the car was not nice on the track and tricky in tight bends on the hillclimbs as it lifts a wheel everywhere and broke traction even with slicks and 370 bhp.

Got all that sorted with a plated rear diff, dccd and back to 50/40. Went nearly 2 seconds faster on a 50 second climb.

surprised you still have the car as it is a bargain for the spec.
Old 22 April 2008, 07:06 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Graham,
Obviously vehicle weight comes in to the equation as well, so I would always be able to get away with stiffer springs (compared to a classic). 60/50's for track use were bang on for mine before..... for tight handling like ScoobyLive / TOTB they need changing if I am being honest, as that handling circuit needs a softer set-up.

I still want the car to be good on a circuit, so hence the current spring rates to trial.... with the change of revaling volume in the shocks. On the road it feels so much better (even has some roll now lol, before you couldnt feel anything). Grip has gone through the roof on road as well. I need to get some set-up time in the car soon, but it will be interesting to see how the car performs at ScoobyLive...... as long as the suspension is made to work efficiently, it will be the first time the car will actually be battle ready, since the work started in Feb 2007.

The car is staying now and the ad has been pulled. I had one buyer who said he was going to have it, but I pulled the plug after getting a much needed reality check from so many people.
Old 22 April 2008, 10:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Sounds good to me!

I wonder if Alan Bell regrets selling up?
Old 22 April 2008, 11:21 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I'm not sure what Alan's reasons for selling were.....

Mine were:

A) Sick of the lack of compliance and real world use - I wanted to drive the car more without looking or feeling like a tit.

B) Thought I wanted a change after 3yrs.

C) Thought I wanted a newer plate.

Sorted A fairly easily and B & C were a short term fix and nothing really about enjoying a vehicle long term.

2007 was not a good year for me or the car..... long development time and no great progress in competition (not in my eyes). This not only drew negatives, but also made me regret the decision of the final modification stage. This is all but banished now, as the car really is superb and getting back in to a better driving experience has re-kindled the flame. The more and more time I spend in the car, getting to grips with it again, the more it improves the whole draw of what these are all about.

Without a shadow of a doubt, this has been the best car I have ever owned. Why would I want to change....... and for once, I have a car that needs nothing altering, changing, fixing or needs to be sold (for say any financial reasons etc). Well..... apart from a race fuel map coming over the next couple of months and perhaps some more suspension tweeks.

I think it was a case of a lovers tiff, but I have now kissed and made up!
Old 23 April 2008, 07:20 AM
Scooby Regular

Good reasons.
I'm heading for divorce....for very different reasons.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:33 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice Shaun.
Old 23 April 2008, 05:56 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Iain,
You made me see the light in the end!

Graham,
Why is that then mate?
Old 23 April 2008, 06:55 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster

I was up at PS again on Saturday and had some minor fettling done to the front ride height and strut settings.
and a bollocking from me because you were thinking of selling it, daft lad!

Glad you finally saw the light (and not the dark... hideous fecking things).
Old 23 April 2008, 06:56 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

A) I wanted to drive the car more without looking or feeling like a tit.
What's changed?
Old 23 April 2008, 07:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

ROFLOL @ Fuzz - I dont expect to get ear ache when just milling around. I knew I shouldnt of walked off, leaving you talking with the missus!

Looking a tit is one thing..... having a car stickered up, whilst wearing Paddy Hopkirk harnesses on is something else. For the track only please.
Old 23 April 2008, 07:41 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I knew I shouldnt of walked off, leaving you talking with the missus!
That was a dangerous move , knowing my past reputation.
Old 23 April 2008, 08:59 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

What are you referring to? My missus has not got the eyesight of Mr Magoo and does not frequent dialabride.com.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:02 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Meh, I have no comeback line,