Notices

Another Whiteline Convert !

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 01:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Whiteline Convert !

Well spent an hour under Kojak's car (bug-eye WRX) yesterday afternoon.
Fitted a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB and drop-links, (and a de-res. centre section), and boy did he have a big stupid grin on his face after a few swift corners...

Sold !

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 01:34 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default bttt

Originally Posted by dunx
Well spent an hour under Kojak's car (bug-eye WRX) yesterday afternoon.
Fitted a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB and drop-links, (and a de-res. centre section), and boy did he have a big stupid grin on his face after a few swift corners...

Sold !

DunxC
what was the level of improvement , was it realy that much better ?

looking to cure the body roll on my01 wrx bugeye as soon as possible .

any info would be good
Old 20 April 2008, 02:19 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bloody hell mate ! I'm notorious on here for selling this mod.

The best value mod I've ever made to my Scoob.

You need a Whiteline adjustable rear anti-roll bar and either wire or solid ally drop-links.

The WRX rolls more than my STI, so by stiffening the rear of the car in roll, the front of the car also rolls less and the tyres can do more work turning the car into corners.

The first decent bend "Kojak" turned into he nearly clipped the kerb, because the car turned in so much sharper than before. He was gob-smacked, and couldn't stop grinning, and we fitted the bar on the medium setting, it is still possible to go to stiffest for a more sideways lifestyle.

The only problem that slowed us down was having to trim two shoulders off the poly bushes to get them to fit the standard ARB mounts. Easy diy job done in about an hour, only need a jack to ease the removal/insertion of the old/new bars.

If you then get greedy fit an ALK and front bar to turn the grip up even more. I then went to Toyo R888's to save me having to think anymore...

HTH

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 02:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Would you recommend this mod for a DIY newb?

I alreasdy have solid drop links but want to get a rear ARB fitted
Old 20 April 2008, 02:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It took me under an hour on my STI, but on Kojak's car we had to trim two shoulders off the poly bushes so took a bit longer, a few spanners, decent socket set will see you sorted.

I advise an adjustable bar if you have familly to move around, set to medium for fun, hard for track, or for "toy cars" that don't do people carrier duties LOL (like mine !) stiffest all the time (can be a bit jiggly over ridges in the road).

HTH

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 02:45 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default bttt

Old 20 April 2008, 02:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You will be amazed !

Honest !
Old 20 April 2008, 04:56 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

as above. stop reading and just get it done you wil love the difference

jim
Old 20 April 2008, 06:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Shame Kojak's at work all day, although he doesn't usually have a lot to say on here...

LOL

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 07:08 PM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

Talking didnt do the arb but added perrins

didnt do the whiteline route got perrins front and rears drop links .will tell ya it did turn into bends a lot sharper and it now makes the tyres scream in protest of the more sharper faster bends

whats the difference between whiteline and perrin any ideas ??

standard wrx arb still though
Old 20 April 2008, 07:26 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

ive got perrin links all round 25 bar on back 22 on front , whiteline alk and whiteline bumpsteer mod, my mech who fitted it took it for a drive, came back and said f**k me its like a go kart

jim
Old 20 April 2008, 07:28 PM
KojaK
Scooby Regular

Easy diy,it`s made a massive difference,no body roll watsoever,if like me im modding slowly,make it your first priority it transformed my standard wrx bugeye,thanks dunx for pushing me to get it sorted.
Old 20 April 2008, 08:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

madmooro put the 22mm rear bar on, or I'll be round to hit you with my old standard one...

LOL

DunxC

P.S. You finished work then Kojak ? When we trying it on the stiffest setting ? LOL
Old 20 April 2008, 08:50 PM
scoobyluke23
Scooby Regular

what are the benifits in the wet as mine is very tail happy its got prodrive springs and set up for fast road, its a sti 05
Old 20 April 2008, 09:06 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

None !

You are either expecting miracles or trying too hard !

Seriously..... if the geometry has been messed with, then the wet weather performance can be compromised, as you've found.

IMHO

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 09:22 PM
scoobyluke23
Scooby Regular

so will whitelines be a benifit too my car do you think genrally mate
Old 20 April 2008, 10:22 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this section needs a sticky thread!

For the classic and the New Age the same rules apply:

The first mod to do will be:

22mm front and steel drop links if not an STi.
24mm + steel links (or alloy for the bling)
ALK
Correct geometry which might need camber bolts in the rear struts.
Decent tyres and chassis components in general.

The last thing you must find is the time to do as Dunx says, try one hole, then another etc. Take your time. 3 laps screaming round a roundabout is not enough. Take the week to get into it.

After you have found the middle hole on the rear with all the above actually does work come rain or shine, you can get down to doing the next Big Step if you really want to. You just might find the above is just the ticket....

Whiteline parts work. Period.
Perrin does too and looks nice with a few well chosen lubrication points that will be needed on Perrina nd Whiteline.

Take your choice, but for 5 years now Whiteline parts have been perfect for my racer/road Sti classic.

Last edited by 911; 20 April 2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 01:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi Luke, I won't claim to know about the newer cars, us poor folk have to make do.... LOL
If you can measure the diameter of the rear bar, and it's about 19/20mm then go for a 22mm or 24mm adjustable rear bar.
The thicker bars suit a smooth driver.
Oversteer is available with a little encouragement on the stiffest setting.
I fitted ALK and a front bar and this calmed the rear down but increased the overall grip.

HTH

DunxC
Old 21 April 2008, 08:38 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

To be brutally honest, I'm a terrible road driver.

Often I turn in too hard or brake too late which unsettles the car badly. The reason for this is I have no confidence in the car and what it can do on the road. I had exactly the same problem with my old 205Gti, lift off oversteer was barking at me everytime I'd go into a corner, sometime with brown pants results. It took a track day to really sort me out and learn how to drive the car. Unfortunately, I thought I'd bring that experience to the Subaru (having owned a Vectra GSi for the years interim. I'm a current member of the 'My name is Nick and I'm a Vectra owner' rehab club, don't worry

I've got the 22 adjustable rear ARB fitted, standard shocks and Eibach springs at the moment. Without doubt the ARB has increased turn in but I knew that was going to happen.

Dunx is absolutely spot on when he says that the stiffer bars suit a smoother driver. Stiffer suspension certainly does not suffer fools. With the track, you have more room for manouevre but still benefit from a smooth drive. Roads are less forgiving in my opinion.

Last Sunday I thought I'd 'trust' the grip (new scrubbed in tyres along with new mods) and attempt to drive around corners rather than throw the car through it. Relaxed grip on steering wheel, and realistic speeds into corners. What a total difference. It's then you can really feel the differences the mods make. Same corner, a couple (and I mean a couple) of miles per hour faster, same again, superb grip, mid corner stability and excellent corner exit. Too much speed on entry and the old understeer returns.

911 must have amassed most of his posts from giving the same old info about the 'basic' and 'advanced' suspension mods. It's info that certainly needs taking on board. No advice is better than real world experience. I know that I certainly listened to the advice despite having a great deal of experience with suspension mods on the 205.

Anyway, waffle over. Point is, suspension mods will help handling but only you will make it all come together. There is no 'fit this now and make yourself a driving god' mod. A track day will certainly make you realise the cars potential and should really be up there with the best suspension mods threads.
Old 21 April 2008, 09:06 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Originally Posted by dunx
The best value mod ever made to a Scoob.
I've been saying the same for years!
Old 21 April 2008, 09:15 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Where currently is the best priced stockist of whiteline parts for the scooby?,i'm after a few bits myself and there seems to be a massive difference in what some people pay for the bits.
Old 21 April 2008, 09:56 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Demon Tweeks have a long running S'net discount ask for Dave Featherstone I think....
Cuscokid is on here sometimes, PM him for a quote.

Agree 100% with Nick(the nutter ?) about getting on track to learn what your car can/will do on the limit.
The WYIOC go to Blyton, some take Pug's and Skoda's....but I go to measure the change in my cars handling as I gradually up-grade (everything ?).. much to Corradoboy's dismay
I want to know what my car is going to do to me the day I take a corner just too fast.... mine now edges into oversteer but grips so fast it's hard to wind the opposite lock off quick enough....
I believe the "real drivers" out there let go of the wheel

It's funny but ever other car I've had I changed the handling first, but this time I chased a re-map to get 340 bhp I have to say that my STI wasn't the slightest bit stressed by this so I then messed with the suspension. Now I'm going to chase 400 bhp and then it will probably need coil-overs a full roll-cage and an overdraft.

DunxC
Old 21 April 2008, 10:34 PM
Scooby Regular

What an interesting read!

Smoooooth driving ''as if on rails'' is quickest, most relaxed and hence easiest.

It is rare to see a tarmac car on track or road or hillclimb cover the distance start to finish sideways everywhere. They will be very close to that break-away point, but not there or over it.
Every fast hillclimber I know gets there without huge sideways hero stuff. That is for the clumbsy and boy racers to have a go at, and great fun too (a long time ago I was a boy racer).

As to letting the steering wheel go in the heat of the turn?

Yes, that works very very well.

It is basic to driving a 911 fast and where I learnt to slip the wheel, plant the throttle and catch the wheel when in opposite lock. You get to this position often in a hard driven early 911 on a track and you employ the technique just after the first tail slide. You need to get it right....

After 10 years of that a 4 x 4 Impreza was weird.

However, the same technique actually works for me when I have been clumbsy with the car, especially when on road tyres. On slicks life is very different I assure you. The accident is about to happen at a much faster speed....

Smooth driving style with finesse will get you everywhere fast and safe. To win you have to finish. Falling off a track does not work and a lurid slide is not a winning run, but about 2 places behind the quick guys.

If you want to see this all in action You Tube Rob Harriman's hillclimb runs. Great in-car vids. Look for Loton Park Hillclimb. He is exceptionally smooth with the car, a very healthy RA with well chosen and adjusted mods.

Modding a car makes you work harder to get the very best. Speed does not come for free, but that is the fun of driving fast.

Last edited by 911; 21 April 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 22 April 2008, 02:35 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I have the following mod's done to my 05 sti last week at Powerstation
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment

and it made a big different car turns in better and feels more stable in the bends.