Notices

front n/s tyre rubbing on leda coil over locknut/threads - please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 01:50 PM
srw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front n/s tyre rubbing on leda coil over locknut/threads - please help!!

Hi, this is my first post but please could anyone help. For the last week had rumbling when braking, and grinding noise when under full lock steering in reverse. After inspection noticed inside of tyre worn badly and locknut/thread of strut shiney as if touching each other. Does not do it under normal driving conditions, ie about town. Just had new eagle f1s fitted and four wheel laser alignment done with whiteline geometry given to garage. Still doing same when car returned. Gutted.. I have P1 alloys and running 215/40/17 tyres. Only doing it on nearside front. Any suggestions would be kindly accepted.
Old 21 March 2007, 07:11 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not good.

I have AST coil-overs with similar section tyres and all is ok, and Ive run 17'' P1's on the car too, but with 205 section tyres.

You might need to dial-out some of the front negative camber.
The rubbing must be slight or the car really would'nt want to roll/move forwards.
Go back to the alignment garage and have 0.5 degree taken off.(what Whiteline specs have you used?)
A rule of thumb is for a minimum of 6mm clearance between moving parts when car is static. Tyres flex a huge amount during driving and the 6mm is there to allow for this.

There is a far more radical way out of this but you would need to fit shorter series springs, so quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Graham.
Old 22 March 2007, 08:18 AM
srw
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up Thankyou

Thanks Graham,
I think the diagnosis at my end might of been a bit hasty! With my first full daylight inspection it appears that it is not the tyre catching on the strut. Thankfully. There seems to be at least 10mm between the strut and the tyre and even with my feeble 12 stone bouncing on the wing/engine bay still plenty of clearance. I have now moved on to the brake discs. They are only 18 months old and have done just 8k but it appears they could be warped. My wife uses the car regularly and I dont think shes 'louise aitkin walker'! So anyway Im going to price up new discs and also price of getting these ones skimmed. If anyone has any ideas for replacements Im running 325mm discs on A.P bells and brembo 4 pots. A big thanks to Alan at AS PERFORMANCE for his time and information yesterday I will keep you posted on my findings. Stu
Old 22 March 2007, 01:46 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alyn is a wizz-kid at these things so good advice in my experience.
Old 04 April 2007, 08:23 PM
srw
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Just in case anyone is interested,
The tyre rubbing was down to the cambers been set up badly when I had my struts o/hauled and refitted. The rumbling on the peddle and steering shudder was caused by a fairly large build up of crud on the innerface of the disc (pointing towards the engine bay) this was skimmed off today and now has returned the car back to its brilliant self.. Im sorry for looking foolish but just panicked thinking it was a major fault and jumped straight on here without thinking first . .
Thanks again 911 and alan at AS PERFORMANCE for taking time out to try and help me.. Stu...