Notices

STI 7 onward knocking rear shocks driving you mad?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 05:17 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 7 onward knocking rear shocks driving you mad?

As you may or may not be aware the STI 7 onward original equipment rear shockers are prone to failing causing horrible knocking and banging noises coming from the rear of the car. Most Subaru dealers will replace these units under warranty (if you have some left) but they seem to use the same part so as you have probably already guessed in a few months they can fail again! The main problem we have found is that no major manufacturer’s are currently producing an aftermarket replacement for the STI models, this leaves coilovers as the only real replacement option, now coilovers are great but they are not for everyone due to their harder ride etc so we have been hard at work to develop a viable fix for this fault. We have reversed engineered a number of the offending shockers and found the fault!

This is where you come in we would like to ask all scoobynet users with an STI7 onward vehicles and mainly STI 8’s & 9’s who have come across this problem whether or not our fix would be appropriate or applicable for them.

In a nutshell we can recondition your faulty shockers or exchange them for £100 + vat per shock. Opposed to coilovers you will find that £200 for a complete fix does work out to be more cost affective and keeps the normal ride comfort you are used to.

Would this be something you are interested in? We are aware that if your car is under warranty you may not be bothered but if you are now out of warranty you should be!

The reason we say this is if interest is good we will invest money into the tooling and get the modification parts made in bulk thereby enabling us to honour the price.

Looking forward to your responses

Ads & The Scoobyclinic team

(also posted in Traders & General so not to miss anyone )
Old 09 October 2006, 05:46 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i thought subaru fitted newer spec stut tops ie version 8 which cured most/
martin
Old 09 October 2006, 07:16 PM
rasheedn
Scooby Regular

thats what they told me too!

Originally Posted by p1doc
i thought subaru fitted newer spec stut tops ie version 8 which cured most/
martin
Old 10 October 2006, 08:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not os sure about that.
When I had my 02 UK STI, the dodgy NSR shock was changed around 6 times. Always came back to some degree.

Now the 05 UK STI has had the NSR shock changed, and recently because the fault came back again, both rear shocks changed.
Its got 20K miles on it.

Shaun
Old 10 October 2006, 01:25 PM
The Gaffer
Former Sponsor

Hi,
just a few points to clarify your questions.

We have had to go down this route as we have not been able to offer our customers a solution for their knocking shocks. A few after market warranties have stood on but only paying for one side.......???? The customer paying for the other, unfair we think, even more so when the units fail again in less than 10 months and the warranty company says go back to Subaru, we have paid once and we are not paying again, only to find all manner of doors closed at the main dealers, Oh its a Maltese import, sorry, Oh we didn’t fit them, take them off, we will take a look if they are faulty we will have to send them back and see what Subaru say, this could take 12 weeks, not a solution, especially they are going to supply the same unit again, it hasn’t exactly got the best track record.

The fault manifests at first as banging / knocking when moving slowly, turning slowly and / or reversing, it eventually gets worse knocking all the time. A temporary cure is to pack in a little more grease, but it doesn’t last long, in fact the grease causes dirt to stick to the leg, some of it getting past the scraper seal and aggravating the problem further.

We have spent a lot of time researching this problem and thank our customers who have been very patient putting up with the noises whilst we came up with a solution.

This thread is aimed at finding out how many people are interested in this fix so we know to go ahead with the tooling involved, if it’s a go then it will take about 12 weeks before we receive the components.

Hope the above answers your queries.
Many thanks
Kev.
Old 10 October 2006, 01:39 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

I would definately take advantage of a permanent fix to this problem.

I had the struts replaced 18 months ago but have just started noticing a noise from them again.