Notices

STi 2006 Suspension - old and new - camber questions

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2006, 10:06 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 2006 Suspension - old and new - camber questions

Had become a bit concerned about the suspension over the last month or so, so at last having some time during the day, took myself and Sti off to a 4 wheel alignment place in Edinburgh this morning. Only to discover :
Camber Left Front -1.09 Right Front - 0.09 !!!!
Toe Left Front +0.08 !!!!!! Toe Right Front -0.11.
Toe left rear +0.08 toe right reaar +0.03
Jings.... so I'm curious ... what does everyone think that did to the handling ?

Then had a very interesting time watching the two guys with various spanners try and get the right front camber back to -1.00. And could they ? No they couldn't. Very odd.
So went as negative as possible on right then brought left front back to the same, sorted out Toe In and ended up with :
LF camber -0.38 RF camber -0.34
Toe LF -0.01, RF -0.02
Toe LR +0.01, RR -0.02
Rear camber stayed at around -1.2 on both wheels before and after.

Anyone got any opinions on how that looks on paper ? and anyone know why camber might only go to -0.34 on one side ?

Equipment used was a 3D lights and reflective boards arrangement - very clever looking too - never seen the like at the dealers before. Even get a nice colour picture of before and after which i'll try and keep.

PS. 75 quid too.

Martin.
Old 10 August 2006, 12:07 PM
MR400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, I'd be very cautious in the wet with the rear towing out on the one side as is indicated above, albeit only a little. STis with the DCCD really don't need any assistance with oversteer

With the revised geometry of the latest STis you also don't need to run as much static camber so the 1/2degree or so you have upfront may well be enough, best thing is to try it over the next few weeks and have a think about how it feels and how you actually want it to feel.