Notices

AST 3 Way Suspension - Feedback on MY04 STi

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 10:27 PM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AST 3 Way Suspension - Feedback on MY04 STi

Thought I would do my bit and post some feedback on my impressions having taken the plunge and invested a good sum of money into the suspension setup on the STi.

The car is standard Type UK with the PPP, to which Powerstation have kindly fitted:
1) 3 way adjustable AST race coilovers (50Nm springs rear, 65Nm springs front)- ride height lowered.
2) Whiteline anti roll bars front and rear
3) Anti Lift kit
4) Powerstation geometry set up
5) Pagid black pads plus braided lines

Had the car with this set up for 2 months in which I have had two road blasts up on the moors, a track day at Elvington (wet) and a track day at Croft (dry). For the Croft outing I fitted Toyo R888s (on 17 inch rims), but prior to that car is on standard Potenzas.

So my thoughts to date:

A) The car is very stiff and incredibly responsive - it will go exactly where you want - the steering and feel are superb - but if you take it along bumpy roads it will rattle your fillings. Smoother roads are fine. By the way this is on all settings at 2 out of 12 (12 being the firmest).

B) Out on the public road when pushing it I would say settings at 2 all around are about right.

C) On the track I firm up the slow speed compression to say 8 out of 12, to improve cornering stablity and leave the fast speed compression softer (say 4 out of 12) to absorb curb bumps etc. Thanks to Graham (911) for his help on the settings.

D) The car set up virtually elminates understeer. Running round Croft I was with a friend in exactly the same STi, less the suspension mods. At any corner and in particular the Hairpin after the Complex I could put the car inside him as he understeered wide. We were running in the intermediate group and were overtaken just twice in 2 hours of track time. Certainly the Toyo R888s helped, but mainly in the high speed bends (Jim Clark Esses and Barcroft) as they improve confidence.

E) Fitting racing pads (and braided lines) makes a huge difference in braking performance, which again pays big dividends on the track, but also very good at road speeds (i.e. they got up to performance temp quickly). Slightly squeaky in town but a small price to pay for the ability to stop on a sixpence (and the standard STI braking was already very good).

So the big question is was the investment worthwhile - and the answer has to be yes. The car is totally transformed, on track you can nail the racing line with great control (and I am NOT a great driver) and out on the road you can keep it neat and tidy even at high speed. The car is not too low - as I have had family and baggage in it with no problems - having said that if you hit a N Yorks bump quickly enough everything will bottom out!! If your budget is more limited I would suggest everything above but go for the single adjustables and save yourself a thousand pounds.

I have video of the car performance at Croft and also detailed suspension settings if people ae interested.

Next steps? Well I have just dropped the car off at a company to have a bespoke cage fitted. Lets hope they do a good job and I will offer more feedback once I have picked it up.

Time to start planning all those track day trips.

Dave
Old 18 July 2006, 01:18 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great, nice review
Old 18 July 2006, 07:27 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converted!

Don't be scared to try some other tweeks, a click here and there will keep you ammused!

Graham.
Old 18 July 2006, 11:06 AM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

Hi Graham,

yes I am at that dangerous point of having great fun with the car for motorsport, but not yet quite accepting it will be a stripped out rally or sprint car.

Once the cage, harness and seats are in place the plan at the moment is to get a range of experience on UK tracks, visiting as many as I can.

I might then consider dipping my toe into sprinting, whilst at the same time planning how to get into single venue rallying at some point in the future.

The learning experience is as satisfying as the driving - and of course for those dark winter and icy nights I have got the road rallying to stop me getting bored!! Just need my son to grow up so he can be my navigator.

Dave
Old 18 July 2006, 01:05 PM
Scooby Regular

He'll get to age fast enough you see!
Graham (with a petrol headed daughter now 21...)
Old 20 July 2006, 08:55 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

has anyone tried the single adjustables on a newage scooby?
martin
Old 20 July 2006, 12:37 PM
Scooby Regular

Many must have from the PowerStation AST Group Buy over Xmas last?

Graham