Notices

PRODRIVE SUSPENSION

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 09:49 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRODRIVE SUSPENSION

Hi ive got a bugeye wagon wrx and im thinking of upgrading the suspension. can anyone tell me what difference prodrive suspension will make, will it lower the car much as well, as the wagon sits much higher than the saloon? also can anybody give me an idea how much the prodrive kit will cost me about?
cheers ste
Old 24 April 2006, 02:00 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Drops the car about an inch at the front, slightly more at the back. Appears level afterwards.
Reduces body movement quite a bit.
Standard car seemed to be a bit overwhelmed on bumpy back roads, easily upset by uneven corners when pressing on, diving and bouncing wide, rolling an faster flat corners.
I did the springs first, then after some time had a Whiteline rear ARB and droplinks added. This was probably the biggest improvement to be fair, tightening up turn-in, reducing understeery feel, though I can't tell what the ARB stuff would do on a standard car.
The Prodrive springs were about £160 I think, through main dealer, the ARB and links were less - can't remember - once again through my main dealer.
I'm happier with it now, though I still feel the shocks are under-rated a little, but overall the improvements were worthwhile.
Downsides? feels a little floaty at speed on motorways. This could be caused by many things (tyres etc.) and might be nothing to do with the suspension mods, but I find if I load the car up, put roof-bars on etc. then it accentuates it. It's not a big issue but I can feel it. I also get some clonking front and rear which doesn't seem to want to go away.

MY03 wagon. PPP'd. Mods as above.

Last edited by Jerry B; 24 April 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 24 April 2006, 06:12 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

thanks jerry would you recommend it then or should i just uprate the arb,s 1st?
Old 24 April 2006, 09:56 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

If you're anywhere near Gatwick you could contact Dave Hollamby at Gatwick Subaru. They often run 'try before you buy' days for mods like ARBs and droplinks.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that have just done the above and should be able to comment on how much difference they make without doing the springs. Maybe worth posting another thread with that title if no-one answers this one.

My guess is it will still be an improvement as the difference was quite marked. The ARB has 3 settings so it can be altered. Mine's on medium. There are also different ARBs too I believe.

I still think the springs help as the car does feel a bit high as standard, but the ARB is so easy to fit it won't cost you much if that's all you want to try.

A call to Powerstation or TSL would tell you I'm sure. And there's always Eibach springs as an option, I just went for Prodrive in case there were any shock problems and I needed warranty work.

Last edited by Jerry B; 24 April 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05 May 2006, 05:12 PM
Herbie75
Scooby Newbie

Jerry B, I'm not too close to Gatwick, being in SW London. But I'm thinking of doing the prodrive springs and Whiteline rear ARB and droplinks when I next get a service in about 1K miles. I've got an MY03 WRX Wagon PPP'd. Anyone got any advice as to which is the best subaru dealer near to me and how much it will cost to get the aforementioned mods done??
Old 06 May 2006, 08:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These links may help you.

My advice would be get it done. I was very disapointed with the standard springs at speed. Many on here have refered to this as motorway warble. The PD springs stiffen everything up without being harsh and everything is much more planted. You ride much flatter and the car is much more fun and easier to chuck about.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=496998

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...85#post5519685

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...64#post5543564
Old 08 May 2006, 11:59 AM
Herbie75
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the links 53WRX, very useful .
Looks like I might need a word with this Dave Hollamby chap at Gatwick Subaru. He seems to know what's what. Anyone got any other recommendations of who i could speak to in the South london area?

Also, does anyone have any ideas of what cost I should expect for fitting the PD springs, bumpstops and whiteline ARB & droplinks from a Subaru dealer?
Old 08 May 2006, 05:09 PM
Scooby Senior

Herbie75,

You don't need the bumpstops on an 03 WRX. The spring kit for this year does not contain them because they are only used on the inverted strutt which was only put on the MY05 WRX's. The springs cost £195 and depending on who fits them upwards of £200 to fit.

If its a dealer fit you go for, join the SIDC for the 10% it will pay for itself just getting the Spings done. But check the dealer you go for does discount on Parts Labour and Accessories.

I got a dealer SIDC price for Springs, fitting and Prodrive laser geometry for £495 inc vat. People on here have got it done for cheaper but this was the cheapest I could get for 30 miles.

If I were doing it again I wouldn't bother paying for the PD geo settings. 4 months after I had the springs done I had my wheels upgraded to PWRC1s and had the geo re-done. The 'before' read out resembled nothing like it should have been even if it had been knocked out, it was way far off all the supposed settings. Go to a reputable tyre place like elite in rainham and get them to do the PD geo for you. It will be cheaper and at least you know that it has been done! I don't think the dealer did mine at all, money for nothing!

As for the whiteline ARB & droplinks I haven't felt the need as yet I am very happy witht the improvement the PD springs made. Springs, 18's and some decent tyres eliminated my understeer so I didn't bother. I've heard its a worthwhile mod but only if you feel its necessary. Some people have the whiteline ARB & droplinks done first and don't feel the need for springs but I wanted them for appearance as much as fixing understeer and motorway warble. The choice is yours and depends how much wonga you have to spend.

cheers

stu.

This link is also useful for more info.

http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/car...suspension.htm
Old 08 May 2006, 05:43 PM
Herbie75
Scooby Newbie

Stu,

thanks for the very useful info . I spoke with Dave at Subaru Gatwick and was quoted £636 inc VAT all in for parts and fitting of PD springs, ARB, droplinks and geo at the end of it all. I didn't think that was a bad price especially if I can get a 10% discount on it by signing up with SIDC, as you say it the mebership will pay for itself. Thanks for the heads up on this and on the geo, i'll have another chat with the dealer and decide if its worthwhile.

Will post again once i've had it all done and let you know results.

Thanks.
Old 08 May 2006, 06:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Check if the dealer has laser allignment equipment, if they have, fine probably worth it, if not check where they get it done.

Price seems good especially if you can get 10% on top. If they do say that they will do it plus the 10% off get it written down because my lot changed their mind when I went to pay! Apparently the price they gave me included the 10%, funny that wasn't the conversation I thought we had, never mind live and learn.