Notices

Rear Taller After Installing Prodrive Springs

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2005, 03:23 PM
pioneer_sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Taller After Installing Prodrive Springs

O.K., I've got a weird one here, and hopefully someone might have an answer, or at least I can get some distances from those of you with KYB AGX shocks and Prodrive Lowering Springs (blue, 44S/D5/001). My car is a JDM STi, and the rear shocks were gone so rather than replace the inverted shocks I got two rear KYB AGX shocks (part no. 734036 and 734037).

The front dropped by 1" (25mm) from 15 1/4" to 14 1/4" (this is using the stock V7 STi inverted shock) so the drop was as expected. Here's the really wierd thing though. After fitting the rears, the back of the car is about 1/2" TALLER The old height was 14 3/8" (with V7 STi shock & spring), but the new height is 14 3/4". I checked the manual and the specification for the rear of the WRX sedan is approx 14 3/4". So basically the rear Prodrive lowering springs have the back at the stock WRX height.

Everything in the installation went smoothly, and the car drove fine, no knocks, or other strange noises. One thing to note though, the rear springs seemed to fit a little better upside down, or I should say with the text on the springs upside down. I have searched and found this seems to be a common and random thing, and has even happened with the front springs, which have an obvious top and bottom.

Here's a question, if the rear springs where installed upside down, could this cause the height problem? The rear springs actually look like they could be the same either way, so maybe orientation is irrelevant. Any suggestions or comments on what could possibly be causing this would be appreciated.

All my measurements are from the fender to the center of the wheel. All the springs are also seated perfectly in the bottom perch of the shock, so that's not an issue either.

Dennis
1990 Toyota Celica GT-Four
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
http://member.newsguy.com/~gtfour

Last edited by pioneer_sti; 17 December 2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 17 December 2005, 07:02 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Probably not much help, but the springs may well settle over time; my 05 wrx dropped a bit in the first few months after fitting prodrive springs.
Old 18 December 2005, 04:52 AM
pioneer_sti
Scooby Newbie

UPDATE

I just spent the last few hours turning the springs around, and it does appear that the Prodrive rear springs for the WRX can work either way. Turning the springs around made no difference to the height. The spring also sits nicely in the strut perch either way. I can't say for sure it's the same either way, BUT I can say for sure it's not the cause of the height problem.

I then removed one of the rear struts and put back on the stock STi v7 spring with the KYB AGX, and guess what? That side dropped by a small margin of about 1/8" to 1/4" (3mm to 6mm). It's not looking good for the Prodrive springs. I've never heard about a bad set of springs, and didn't even know it could happen. Hopefully someone from Prodrive will read this (or answer an e-mail I will try and send tonight) and be able to help with the heck is going on. I'll try and take some pics tonight as well.

The difference between the rear KYB AGX/stock STi v7 spring combo, and the rear stock STi v7 Strut/stock STi v7 spring is about 1/8" to 1/4" (3mm to 6mm), so the problem is not with the KYB struts.

PICTURES

Pictures of spring up and down and of springs installed and measured. Click HERE

Dennis
Old 18 December 2005, 08:33 AM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Dennis,

Is the grey coil wrap something you've fitted or did it come with the springs?

Best regards,

Ian
Old 18 December 2005, 08:32 PM
pioneer_sti
Scooby Newbie

Ian,

The wrapping is from the original springs. When the car is on the ground, the spring compresses and the two sections come in contact. Rather than do it after the fact, I added the wrap to ensure there is no metallic knocking. I thought about this being the problem, but we are talking about a descrepancy of at least 1/2" (12.5mm), and I can't see something that is 1/16" (1.5mm) thick, actually 1/8" (3mm) as there are two of them, causing a problem. Still, now that you mention it, it might be worth removing to see what happens.

Dennis
Old 18 December 2005, 10:12 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Dennis,

I don't think the coil wrap is your problem. It just didn't look like Prodrive coil wrap! I've fitted similar to my WRX springs to stop an anoying rattle at low speed.

Good luck in resolving your problem.

Best regards,

Ian