Notices

Anyone used HKS Coilovers on a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2005, 07:16 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used HKS Coilovers on a classic?

I am considering buying a set for my 1995 Classics WRX for road use, can anyone tell me if they have used them or know if they would be too hard and also give me the spring rates compared to sti springs?
Old 07 November 2005, 07:49 PM
madgixer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobboy
I am considering buying a set for my 1995 Classics WRX for road use, can anyone tell me if they have used them or know if they would be too hard and also give me the spring rates compared to sti springs?
I have a set in my garage that i had on my 98 sti. Yes they are hard but they nearly totally eliminated any bodyroll . I think it really depends on what spring rates you have. I have two sets of springs. I think i prefered the harder spring that the softer ones but i think that was because the hard ones were progressive springs so soaked up the bumps better. If your after 2nd hand then make me an offer as they are only sat gathering dust

Cheers

Nigel
Old 08 November 2005, 02:50 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

bttt^^
Old 09 November 2005, 08:14 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

bttt^^
Old 09 November 2005, 08:21 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

I bought a set a couple of years ago,had them on the car for a grand total of a week.It was the worst thing i ever bought for the car,totally too hard for normal everyday life,if fact i'd go as far as saying they were just dam dangerous.I sold them to another guy on here who messed around for ages with different springs to try to get a decent ride,in the end he got rid aswell,do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.I have P1 suspention on now and it's fab..............Alan
Old 09 November 2005, 08:58 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

The thing is mate i bought a good set of Bilsteins with eibach springs last week and just saw a set of HKS coilovers at a good price, do you think the set up i bought is better?

Cheers carle

Originally Posted by Guinness
I bought a set a couple of years ago,had them on the car for a grand total of a week.It was the worst thing i ever bought for the car,totally too hard for normal everyday life,if fact i'd go as far as saying they were just dam dangerous.I sold them to another guy on here who messed around for ages with different springs to try to get a decent ride,in the end he got rid aswell,do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.I have P1 suspention on now and it's fab..............Alan
Old 09 November 2005, 09:30 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

It depends what a good price is?

To be honest, if you want the car to handle well then fit the billies/eibachs and then fit the whiteline ARB to reduce the bodyroll. But, if you want hard suspension and the ability to adjust the ride height of the car then go for the coilovers.

I've got coilovers on my 1994 WRX but that was only because I wanted a fully adjustable kit and I've always had my cars relatively low (which isn't the best for handling but hey). I do love my coilovers though (even if they are Avo's - and yes they were cheap!)

Ben
Old 09 November 2005, 10:42 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobboy
The thing is mate i bought a good set of Bilsteins with eibach springs last week and just saw a set of HKS coilovers at a good price, do you think the set up i bought is better?

Cheers carle
If it was me i would not get the HKS kit,it was designed for the jap roads,you will probably have a better ride with the billy kit you have bought.I also bought another set of coilovers after the HKS,these were Proflex and much better,but still a pain in the **** to get set up.If your up for always adjusting things then coilovers are for you,if like me you just want to fit and forget stick with what you have.....Alan..
Old 09 November 2005, 10:57 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

My old Proflex kit

Old 10 November 2005, 01:50 AM
STI VI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up HKS Hyper Max II

I have a new set fitted to my STi Vi, to be honest I disagree with most of the comments posted on here with regards to the fact that the car is undrivable with Coil overs fitted. To be honest in my experience, the HKS kit is one of the best available on the market, unless you go for Oholins, which are far more expensive, it can not be compared to prodrive sets, if properly set up. The Hypermax kit has a hardness adjuestment, mine is set mid way, and while firm, has completely transformed the cars road holding. I did and one point switch back to the old shocks (with Sti Springs fitted) while the car was being set up, it was only then did I really appriciate how much difference the HKS kit made. Quite frankly which ever car I have driven in the past, the first thing I changed was the suspension set up, I am currently running the following setup.

HKS Hyper Max 2 Suspension
Cusco 23mm Front anti Roll Bar
Cusco 23mm Rear Anti Roll Bar
Cusco Rear Strut Brace
Cusco Rear Lower Arm Bar
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar
Carbine Chasis Bars
Sti Front Strut Brace
Old 11 November 2005, 10:18 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

cheers for the comments, will stick with the bilsteins then as dont want to fiddle adjusting them all the time to get right setup and the roads are pretty bad in N.Ireland, want to fit and forget.

thanks carle
Old 17 November 2005, 12:44 PM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Good decision I think! I bought the HKS setup from Alan (Guinness) and even though I did I still talk to him!!!!

I nearly had my innards scrambled with the battering I took over what were quite reasonable roads . On a bumpy road it was difficult to get over 60mph and still stay on the road.

I tried lots of spring types and rates and eventually decided the best thing I could do was to sell them. Luckily I found someone who wanted them for track use! They do as one of the other guys on here said virtually eliminate body roll - in fact I thought there was more give in my tyres than in the suspension.

I replaced them with KYB AGX adjustables (KYB make the OE dampers) and Eibach springs. This transformed the car.

I have subsequently bought a STi 5 Type R and the suspension on that was good but I have swapped the inverted STi5 dampers onto my WRX and fitted the KYB adjustables with the standard STi5 Type R springs onthe Type R. Both setups are great but the adjustable setup is quite handy if you visit the north of Scotland and need a slightly softer damping rate on the bumpy roads.

It is possible that HKS have come up with modified setting that work on UK roads but my experience was exactly the same as Alan's.

Ken