Notices

PowerStation T25 Suspension Kit - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2005, 06:29 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile PowerStation T25 Suspension Kit - WOW

Simply Awesome....after a 2 hour drive home I am grinning from ear to ear. This kit is nothing short of tranformational.

A very big thank you to the talented and friendly people at PowerStation, as you know I will be back very soon....

The improvements I have noticied so far are:

- steering feel and feedback is improved beyond recognition, feeback is direct and instant
- high speed sweeping cornering is now controlled and safe (I always felt the car 'on the edge' before), almost feels like you are cutting a groove in the road as you go.
- cornering is simply dazzling, the control around islands, braking into and accelerating out so much more direct.
- stability through standing water (and boy was there a lot of that tonight!) is truly jaw dropping - where before the car was nervous now it just feels secure and bullet straight.
- overall ride quality is much improved, all the 'bounce and jiggle' is cured.

I am sure many of you already know this so I am preaching to the converted and I feel for the price this is a massive improvement in an already pretty exceptional car (04 UK STi in my case).

Now just the Type 20 engine upgrade to go.......
Old 23 October 2005, 02:19 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

cheque's in the post MBK.

Andy
Old 23 October 2005, 03:44 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it. As im thinking of getting the suspension sorted next and you seem happy with it. Also what does the kit include.
Old 23 October 2005, 05:56 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

The price was as quoted on the Powerstation website (£1400 plus VAT, plus a set of aluminium drop links - cosmetic rather than essential) - links from the ad baners on here. As to what it includes best look on the website as I am no techie!!

More to post later after our Mid Wales Run today - that gave the new setup a good shakedown, lets just say i'm even happier now than I was on Friday!!
Old 23 October 2005, 06:12 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Group buy ??
Old 23 October 2005, 08:02 PM
gordywr1
Scooby Regular

yes please
Old 23 October 2005, 08:09 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

So after a good few hours on a variety of roads the verdict is....amazing. So just what do you get with this improvement...(this is my subjective assessment as an average driver, in normal conditions)

- now I know this will sound strange but its as if they slipped and extra 30bhp under the bonnet, all the power is now useable, the whole time the car feels secure allowing use of more acceleration and quite frankly scarily late braking (perhaps beyond my nerve). It actually feels like the standard Brembo's have more bite, maybe its extra grip?

- In all honesty the car is now more capable than I am (maybe it always was but never felt it to me). The level of grip allows speeds way beyond what I am willing to fling myself around corners on a public road. Clearly every driver will differ here and after a few years of Impreza (classic, mighty P1, STi etc) driving I have never felt anything quite like this. I always said the P1 was the best Scooby, scrap that opinion now.

- Damp conditions feel as safe as dry conditions felt previously, again there is more grip than I have nerve.

- Ultra wet conditions, standing water and torrential rain pose no problem - it allows ground covering at a quite incredible rate while being safe at all times - again driver dependent for actual speed and commitment.

- through tight hairpins the car will **** the inside wheel, to comedy effect and much tyre squealing.

- When grip is finally exceeded (gulp!!) the car is neutral and recovers easily, in the dry there is a little chirp from the tyres to indicate regained grip, in the wet there is some 4 wheel drift followed by grip again and away with no fuss or bother. Even greasy cattle grids caused no fuss - they had the standard STi squirming and writhing.

- if you do get airborne (not recommended!!!) the landing is controlled and the car regains composure quickly - for which I am extremely grateful!

- Around medium and large roundabouts the speed you can carry through is increased by at least 5mph and up to 10mph if you don't mind the comedy effect squealing tyres.

- the Mrs is a 'girl racer' and she loved the improvement in ride quality and refinement as she zipped along at a fair pace ('I would lose my licence if I drove this everyday' was quote of the afternoon!)

- I drove the new Spec C at Litchfields a few weeks ago and now I understand one part of the recipe that makes that such an amazing car. The improvement to my STi is more than I wanted and to really use a Spec C's ability probably beyond me - that surely is a track special - which is why I am going to buy one in about a year, with T25 suspension of course!

So in summary, you love your Scoob and you are looking for something more...in my opinion get more control before more power, you might be surprised just how good the car feels - and it just happens to look great too!
Old 23 October 2005, 10:16 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their Spec C is impressive isn't it, and it has been tweeked further still Ian tells me...
Gulp!
Graham.
Old 24 October 2005, 07:51 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see you're enjoying the new setup.

What settings are you running?
Old 24 October 2005, 02:00 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I followed MBK on some of the Mid Wales Run and yep it does help to lift the skirts and go!!!! Now were's my Credit Card??????
Old 24 October 2005, 03:13 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

What are your AST's set to ? (front/rear)
Old 24 October 2005, 03:17 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Ran 5's all round as set up for me by Powerstation on the run, on the faster sweeping A and B roads it was perfect, for the unnamed roads, tight, twisty, low(ish!) speed and when it got very wet I think even softer would have been better - I will try this out next time. Another car on the run with this set up was running 5 rear and 7 front and looked really quick but then he is a way better and more experienced scooby pilot than me!

Blue Dragoon I reckon your trip to Powerstation could get expensive!
Old 24 October 2005, 05:58 PM
Scooby Regular

What spring rates did Powerstation fit?

At a guess if they are 50/40 fr/rr the 7/5 clicks from soft are just about right. I think you will find a bit more if you go from 5/5 clicks to 7/5 clicks.

God, that looks a different language doen't it!

Graham : a very happy AST owner (of sorts as they arn't mine!)
Old 24 October 2005, 07:55 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Just a quick question, what is the difference (if any) between AST type 25 and normal AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit and how they compare with Whiteline Group 4's?
I believe Whiteline's version has some small but remarkable differences but can't find the related thread in Nasioc.
JIM
Old 24 October 2005, 10:28 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

As far as I know they have totally different valving, Powerstation and AST have worked closely to continually improve the setup for UK roads. AST have been over to the UK on a number of occasions to do road/race development and Curtis aways seems to have some new prototypes to test

Iain
Old 24 October 2005, 10:57 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Going to Powerstation on the 9th November for a remap, Just hope I can resist spending any more money then I have to.

But the T25 Suspension set up, looks so tempting.
Old 25 October 2005, 07:36 AM
Scooby Regular

Give-in now, as when you see them you will have them.
Not that the kit includes the rest too, the AST's on their own will be good, but are fab when the rest is added (inc alignment)

You know it makes sense.

Graham
Old 25 October 2005, 05:44 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
Just a quick question, what is the difference (if any) between AST type 25 and normal AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
JIM
that would be interesting to know
martin
Old 27 October 2005, 07:21 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

can you tell me exactly what is in the type 25 kit as i will be looking for a decent setup in a few months, how would this fair at the "ring" do you think?
cheers
Old 27 October 2005, 07:39 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Straight from Powerstation's web page:

Stage 2 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit*
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit 4-Wheel Alignment
£1400 + VAT

* adjustable height/bump/rebound

Regards,

Ian
Old 27 October 2005, 08:02 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

MBK what size wheels and what tyres are you running?
Old 28 October 2005, 01:28 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

But from the Type25 page.....

http://www.type-25.com/chassis.asp

Looks like a few more components there !!
Old 28 October 2005, 04:25 PM
Scooby Regular

Only the ALK I think?
Superb units (from personal experience )

Sorry: couldn't resist!

http://jusspress.com/daymainframe.ph...102&imageNum=3

Graham
Old 28 October 2005, 05:10 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by 911
Only the ALK I think?
Superb units (from personal experience )

Sorry: couldn't resist!

http://jusspress.com/daymainframe.ph...102&imageNum=3

Graham
Nice clip there Graham.

I tried my on the hardest setting and it felt like my OEM JDM suspension which I changed as it did not dampen good enough for UK roads. I now have them all on six clicks from the hardest and the ride is brilliant. I can't see me ever beggering about with the suspension height, I think the standard setting they put it at is just right.

Suspension now bedded in and no noises whatsoever.

I was gonna move the rear anti-roll bar out to the stiffest setting but the link that connects it to the chassis looks stretched as it is.

Damian.
(One happy T25 suspension set up owner on a MY03 JDM STi)
Old 28 October 2005, 06:50 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Scoobysmiff, I am running standard 17" wheels (no intention of going to 18's just for looks when the car drives this well) with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, which I feel are much better in the wet than previous potenza RE040's.

Graham - thats a great vid!!!! Trying out 5 rear and 7 front setup on a little run out tomorrow, see how that goes and maybe try 6/6 on Sunday. Like Damian I have no intention of messing with the ride height.
Old 28 October 2005, 07:51 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

so its well recomended then, looks like i will be spending some hard earned on this set up then, cheers gents
Old 28 October 2005, 09:23 PM
Scooby Regular

You will NOT regret it.

for some thought:

AST's with 50/40 springs with 7 fr and 5 rr clicks from soft =
AST's with 60/50 springs with 11 and 7 clicks from soft = (on the track.)

For a very very nice road set-up the 50/40 @ 7 and 5 is very good.
IMHO: Leave the rear bar on middle hole.

Enjoy!

Graham.
Old 31 October 2005, 08:34 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

along with the t25 kit would it be worth putting strut bars on as well? i've seen lots about both top, bottom, rear and front, is it worth all the effort and cost.
OH, and i'm sold on the T25 kit by the way, watching your Vid's 911 brought a smile to my face in anticipation only thing is i'm not able to get it done for another few months yet

Last edited by scoobysmiff; 31 October 2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old 31 October 2005, 08:57 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I've just put my AST's on the settings you recommended

"AST's with 50/40 springs with 7 fr and 5 rr clicks from soft"

Not sure what they were on before, but the car feels great now

Also, just a quick question. The adjusters don't click in both directions on all my struts. I think 3 of them only click one way, the other way you feel them move but no clicking. The other strut clicks in both directions. Does anyone elses do this ?
Old 31 October 2005, 09:08 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marklemac
Also, just a quick question. The adjusters don't click in both directions on all my struts. I think 3 of them only click one way, the other way you feel them move but no clicking. The other strut clicks in both directions. Does anyone elses do this ?
I have this situation on mine too - I believe Iain has said that one click is approximately a 90 degree turn, so I've worked on that basis.

Quick Reply: PowerStation T25 Suspension Kit - WOW